Game Thread: (25) Lady Vols vs. (13) Kentucky

Mulkey can rock the leatherette! I was never a big fan of hers until Pat got sick and Mulkey said if UT did not treat Pat right she would be basically coming to Knoxville, hand someone her beer and get that straightened out. A friend indeed, I have have been a fan ever since.
Speaking of Baylor friends, where is BUBear?

Hey @BUBear!

He’s around! He hasn’t been on here as much this season. Not quite as much to brag about for Baylor this year 😉.

I’ve always loved Kim. You either love her or hate her. She has a ton of personality in that little package. She’s never been afraid to speak her mind and that’s always been my kind of woman. Kim will let you know where you stand with her. You don’t have to go trying to figure it out haha.

Hey @BUBear!

He’s around! He hasn’t been on here as much this season. Not quite as much to brag about for Baylor this year 😉.

I’ve always loved Kim. You either love her or hate her. She has a ton of personality in that little package. She’s never been afraid to speak her mind and that’s always been my kind of woman. Kim will let you know where you stand with her. You don’t have to go trying to figure it out haha.
Truth!

Reactions: VolBall09
Sort of off the thread, but I have watched a few KY games and Massengill does not provide much other than leadership? Certainly I have seen hardly any offense. I guess you don't get too many opportunities during the Howard show.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Sort of off the thread, but I have watched a few KY games and Massengill does not provide much other than leadership? Certainly I have seen hardly any offense. I guess you don't get too many opportunities during the Howard show.

True ! Also I have a feeling 6-1 Treasure Hunt will be seeing the court more you think so ?

Massengill is not a college-level scorer. She's a playmaker and defender, and will take the open shots if that's needed. She basically puts herself as the 5th scoring option when running the offense.

In games I've seen, UK's offense has been balanced. Sure, Rhyne will go off, but Patterson, Edwards, Benton and Green all have their fair share of shots available for them. McKinney too if she wanted them.

Massengill is not a college-level scorer. She's a playmaker and defender, and will take the open shots if that's needed. She basically puts herself as the 5th scoring option when running the offense.

In games I've seen, UK's offense has been balanced. Sure, Rhyne will go off, but Patterson, Edwards, Benton and Green all have their fair share of shots available for them. McKinney too if she wanted them.

That was my first look at Massengill as a wildcat. With the caveat that one game is a not a representative sample and Jordan had a stand out game.,

But, I think LVs have done okay with, what is in effect, a swap of Jordan Walker for Jaz. Jaz is a bigger guard, we plenty of those. We needed someone who can provide a change of pace and a different look from Horston.

I keep thinking that the Horston, Walker, Key, Davis, and Burrell is our most effective lineup. I don't have any stats to bare that out always seems like we make runs with those five.

Agree, particularly now that Key has found her groove. Earlier it was looking more like KK should be in "best five" group.

My inference (and only that) is that the team is having to monitor Walker's minutes but I love that group when they are together. We have size, shooting and ball handlers.

The next line-up would have Marta in for Walker (and Marta had her best SEC game against KY).

Kellie is doing a brilliant job with her lineup changes to get the most of her players. I was wrong terribly when I posted a comment about her reserved personality as opposed to her mentor, Pat Summitt. She is a good coach regardless of her personality. It will not be her fault if this team does not make the Final 8 this year.

Best game against solid competition in a decade.Great coaching and execution on both ends.Good team effort but want to give great plaudits to Burrell for her outstanding defensive play on the best player in the conference.....to me that was the difference
Difference also was Rennia sublimal message
that they lost the uconn game by letting uconn garner rebounds late and at crucial portion of the game by snatching down 20.

Green is as we talked about before don`t match up well against TN, SC or A&M in the SEC, against A&M 20 mins 2 pts SC 15 min 3pts TN 20mins 0pts Not gonna in SEC play. Give Hunt a shot.

Green is as we talked about before don`t match up well against TN, SC or A&M in the SEC, against A&M 20 mins 2 pts SC 15 min 3pts TN 20mins 0pts Not gonna in SEC play. Give Hunt a shot.
I agree. Hunt has a higher level ceiling than Green does, and Blair is a non-factor against the better SEC teams.

Can we take a second to appreciate KK's improvement this year ? I use to get so upset watching her miss so many bunnies and this season that is no longer the case ! She's really came along under this new coaching staff. Wish she would come back for 1 more next year with TK !
SHe may...

Has she changed her mind ?

I don’t think so. She definitely made a comment that she was done. Don’t see her returning next season.

I do think Davis is a toss up. I think Rennia probably feels a little shorted. She’s one of the more talented players we’ve had in a decade and her time in Knoxville has been an absolute dumpster fire.

Team drama, transfers, Holly, the coaching change, a down year for transition and then COVID. I could see her wanting one more shot at a NORMAL season and try to make a Championship run (seriously).

If you look at everyone returning next season plus the freshman we will have a much deeper bench barring any injuries. The team looks great this season and could be even better with one more year playing together.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back