Game Thread: (25) Lady Vols vs. (13) Kentucky

Rickster

VFL
Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo and luballer
Time to move on from the previous game and concentrate on a game that is really a big deal re: conference implications. If, as Kellie said, we can continue to learn and grow from our losses, this should be an interesting game to how we defend and if we execute better offensively.

Another tough game against number 12 ranked team. We have to hope Howard has a bad game as she is the difference for them. Davis and Burrell went for 29 against UConn on 29 shot attempts. I like to see them in the 35 to 40 point range as a duo on the same 29 shot attempts. When they score in this range we've been the winning team. Another forty minutes of intense play hopefully we are ready this game. This game could really provide some separation for the Lady Vols and put them solidly in the top three in the league. This would also be our third win against a ranked team hopefully we come strong in this game.

"In league play, UK's Howard is averaging 25.0 points per game, 7.6 rebounds per game and hitting 53.5 percent from the field with 22 assists and seven steals. She ranks third in the SEC in points per game overall."

Who pulls this defensive assignment?

"In league play, UK's Howard is averaging 25.0 points per game, 7.6 rebounds per game and hitting 53.5 percent from the field with 22 assists and seven steals. She ranks third in the SEC in points per game overall."

Who pulls this defensive assignment?

It’s gotta be Horston and she’s gotta want it. Davis, Walker and Burrell likely all get her for stretches as well.

Who do you have on Patterson? I don't know if any of the LV guards have the speed to deal with her.

I’m thinking Walker and Salary probably play a lot of minutes with Jordan at the 2. That seems to work well for us and helps with those smaller players.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Salary play a season high in minutes. She has been a consistent positive presence in her minutes. Low turnover player and a high percentage shooter so far.

Traditionally, UK plays a man defense with lots of hands. Officials seem to be allowing a lot of hand contact this year as long as the target is the ball. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I like our length in this one.

Traditionally, UK plays a man defense with lots of hands. Officials seem to be allowing a lot of hand contact this year as long as the target is the ball. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I like our length in this one.

I think this team has very strong desire to beat Kentucky. And they should be extremely motivated to get back in the winning column at home. Can’t lose 3 in a row on The Summitt.

If the Lady Vols bring their A game, we can win this. Ryan is going to get her points we just need to make her work for it. We need solid play from our post and to control the paint, which I believe Key and KK can, they just need to play aggressively without getting in foul trouble. I would like to see scoring from Burrell, Davis and Horston. If these three can have a good night on both sides of the game we win in a close one.

I’m thinking Walker and Salary probably play a lot of minutes with Jordan at the 2. That seems to work well for us and helps with those smaller players.

Our length should help apply pressure outside. If Key can protect the paint without fouling and Kentucky is forced to shoot over, it could be a long day for the wildcats.

Sunday's game will mark the 70th meeting between the two programs. The Wildcats trail the Lady Volunteers in the series, 55-14, and in Knoxville, 25-4. However, UK has won four of the last six meetings in the series, including the last three straight, which is the longest streak Kentucky has held over Tennessee in the 69-game stretch.

And it needs to end on Sunday.

Last edited:
If the Lady Vols bring their A game, we can win this. Ryan is going to get her points we just need to make her work for it. We need solid play from our post and to control the paint, which I believe Key and KK can, they just need to play aggressively without getting in foul trouble. I would like to see scoring from Burrell, Davis and Horston. If these three can have a good night on both sides of the game we win in a close one.
UT wins by 10 points or more if Burrell, Davis and Horston have a good night.

To all the LV fans - I watched my first Lady Vols game in years and years and I have the following three questions: a) do they not have another big that can do what the one girl can do on defense and actually catch a pass, b) if a handful of players were taught to drive and dominate at the rim like Holdsclaw, Parker, et al, would they not dominate in what seems to be a "shoot the 3 first" brand of basketball, and c) is Geno just absolutely miserable with "kids nowadays" and looks like he wants to retire?

It's not for any misogynistic reason I don't watch the ladies play, I honestly don't get to watch the men as much as I'd like. Just seems like the ladies' game is bass ackwards from what I remember from, oh, 10-15 years ago. Would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Boss, sorry about the last number 14 but we think we got it figured out. Wanna try er agin?

images

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back