Game Thread: #24/25 TENNESSEE VS. ALABAMA

I’ve heard that Rennia practices those types of shots. Maybe she made her own luck by having practiced that kind of look so often that it was a good bit of skill mixed in there, too. :D

It was a well formed step back and she drilled it. She didn’t just heave one up. You don’t rip the cords like that by accident. I loved it!

You were correct.

I was and I’m very proud of her. She just told the rest of the SEC to listen up. Go ahead and throw your best defense at her for 40 minutes. She’s still going to have the mental toughness and competitiveness to get it done.

Last season she would have folded under that type of defensive pressure. This season she had 16 and 9 and played her heart out defensively. They climbed back in the game as soon as she went to the bench.

And I do wish we would clean up the turnovers but I’m hesitant to place that all on Horston. She had 19, 8 boards, 4asst and 4 blocks. No Horston and we are 0-6 against Bama in as many tries. She had a tough first half but came out the second half and straightened it out. That shows toughness.

Name "the shot" contest.

1. Moonraker

2. To infinity...and beyond!

3. "Oh, crap."

4. Other (specify)

Prizes:

3rd place: One jar of Dapper Dan.

2nd place: Two irregular Navy blue pleather handbags.

1st place: Surgical gloves worn by Coach Daley in actual Hold Me Back routine (COA supplied upon request).
BOTTOM!

Reactions: creekdipper
The Shot. Laughed till I cried. Then watched over and over and laughed out loud every time. When it first happened, all you could see were people looking up (someone should make a pic of that, btw), (it’s a bird, it’s a plane), the ball disappeared, stayed in the rafters for awhile, and then, finally, magically, reappeared, coming over the basket like a guided missile, and swished through the net! What joy!

While the team leaped for joy, Kellie could not move, and if anyone saw Emily, they’ll know that girl can jump.

I’m smiling, and probably smiled in my sleep. The Shot 😂😂😂

Me too, Volfaninfl2! When the shot left her fingers I caught my breath. By the time it actually went in I’d turned blue and passed out from lack of oxygen.

lol But jokes aside, when it left her hands it looked right then like it was going to be way short. Then it seemed like it was going to get lost in space before, suddenly, it re-entered the atmosphere and went through the net so fast I was shocked. In all my years of attending Lady Vols games, there has been no more exciting a swish than that bucket last night. When Rennia bobbled the ball slightly it felt for that split second to be over, and then she regrouped, stepped backed, left her feet and launched some Magic.

I haven’t heard a roar like that in many, many years. I sure could get used to hearing more of that. :)

P.S. My friend stood beside me, slack-jawed for about 10 seconds before turning to me to say, “What just happened?” I think she may have feared she was having a stroke. lol

Me too, Volfaninfl2! When the shot left her fingers I caught my breath. By the time it actually went in I’d turned blue and passed out from lack of oxygen.

lol But jokes aside, when it left her hands it looked right then like it was going to be way short. Then it seemed like it was going to get lost in space before, suddenly, it re-entered the atmosphere and went through the net so fast I was shocked. In all my years of attending Lady Vols games, there has been no more exciting a swish than that bucket last night. When Rennia bobbled the ball slightly it felt for that split second to be over, and then she regrouped, stepped backed, left her feet and launched some Magic.

I haven’t heard a roar like that in many, many years. I sure could get used to hearing more of that. :)

You are So lucky, to have been there, for This Team, That Game, and The Shot! GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: lvocd
Glad to win, but this team is not well coached.
Out of timeouts, terrible end of clock sets. These are the things that got Holly fired. This team should beat Bama by 10 easily. Hopefully, they were looking ahead to Thursday.
Oh come on! Really? First year coaching at Thrill Hill and you are dumping on her already? Those girls look up to Kelly and they are playing pretty well together. I wish whoever is teaching them to shoot would spend some time with the men's team. UCONN at UCONN should be a great opportunity to "go for it" but, don't "dwell on it". But really, your comment is nuts.

Surely The Shot made SportsCenter Top 1o.

Say it's so.
I don’t know if it did or not, but I received an alert from ESPN that their “Must-Watch” video was of Rennia’s shot. Also, rising above all the things going on in the world last night, for a while last night “Rennia Davis” was trending at #5 on Twitter. :eek:

Love Kellie’s humor.

I told Rennia, 'You do know I'm going to go in there, and I'm going to tell them that's exactly what we drew up. I want you to dribble it around, do a step-back three from the volleyball line, and by the way, shoot it so high that there's no time left on the clock when it goes in.' I'm just thankful she made that shot."

On if she shoots it in practice with as much arch as tonight:
"She shoots it with pretty good arch, maybe not quite so much arch, because remember she had to get the time off the clock, so they wouldn't have time left. That's what I said to do, obviously."

😀😀😀

This was not a great game for her, but she made some big baskets down the stretch and she’s by far our best perimeter defender. You don’t have to believe me, ask her coaches and teammates. Rennia said Jordan inspires her to play better defense. The kid is a player and we’re lucky she chose UT.

No one said they weren't glad she was here. Overreact much? Maybe she was tired tonight and you can say what you want about what other players have said in the past but she was late closing out on the perimeter and got scored on tonight on the drive.

No one said they weren't glad she was here. Overreact much? Maybe she was tired tonight and you can say what you want about what other players have said in the past but she was late closing out on the perimeter and got scored on tonight on the drive.
You didn’t say tonight, you made a generalized statement about a player who didn’t have her best game...talk about overreacting.🙄🙄🙄

No Jessie ? i think because of the speed and athletic ability of Bama guards. i could be wrong this is why we need to get a top pg in 2021.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
After Horston made the steal and the layup for the nine point lead game could've went either way a double digit win or what happened. Letting the other happen was exactly how we played last season in so many games. Still not happy with the way we can't close out games or value possessions with a lead. We let Bama get open for some threes which we hadn't for most of the game. Were still having to many breakdowns probably will all season still seems we should be able to get to the 20 win mark which is about what I suspected would be what this team could do. Don't be surprised if 10 or 11 conference win is still all we can manage with this team this season.

Oh come on! Really? First year coaching at Thrill Hill and you are dumping on her already? Those girls look up to Kelly and they are playing pretty well together. I wish whoever is teaching them to shoot would spend some time with the men's team. UCONN at UCONN should be a great opportunity to "go for it" but, don't "dwell on it". But really, your comment is nuts.
I did not dump on her. Just pointed out that last night she got bailed out by a lucky shot. She did some of the same things that got Holly fired. Fortunately for her, Davis made a miracle shot.

She did some of the same things that got Holly fired. Fortunately for her, Davis made a miracle shot.

Do you know WHY she made that shot? Because her new coach, the coach she trusts and believes in and who believes in her, has made her into the type of leader who wanted the ball in her hands in that moment and she is skilled enough and confident enough to make that shot.

Holly got fired because she didn't have the ability to inspire confidence. Kellie does.

Do you know WHY she made that shot? Because her new coach, the coach she trusts and believes in and who believes in her, has made her into the type of leader who wanted the ball in her hands in that moment and she is skilled enough and confident enough to make that shot.

Holly got fired because she didn't have the ability to inspire confidence. Kellie does.
She made that shot by pure luck.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back