Game Thread: #24/25 TENNESSEE VS. ALABAMA

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
Flylights.jpg
Lady Vols in "Flight"

Monday -- No. 24/25 Tennessee (14-3, 4-1 SEC) v Alabama (11-6, 1-3 SEC) at TBA. 7:02 p.m. ET.

Tennessee won its third straight league game and picked up its sixth victory in its last seven contests on Thursday night, as the Lady Vols scored 27 points off turnovers and shot 53.3 percent en route to a 78-50 runaway over Florida in Gainesville. Alabama comes into Monday night's contest with a week's worth of preparation. The Crimson Tide women haven't played since going on the road and defeating in-state rival Auburn by a 75-48 count on Jan. 12. The win over the Tigers was a big one, as Bama had entered that game on a three-game losing skid to open the SEC schedule at 0-3. UA now is tied for 10th in the league standings.

RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • The No. 24/25 Lady Vols picked up their third-straight SEC win on Thursday night, defeating the Florida Gators in Gainesville, 78-50.
  • Junior Rennia Davis, playing in front of family and friends who made the drive from Jacksonville, led the effort for Tennessee (14-3, 4-1 SEC), finishing with 18 points and five rebounds. Sophomore Rae Burrell was also in double digits with 11 points.
  • Freshmen Lavender Briggs and Brylee Bartram led Florida (11-7, 2-3 SEC) with 11 points each.
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
  • Turning The Tables: After falling behind 6-2 in the opening minutes of the game, Tennessee put together a 26-5 run over 10 minutes to lead 28-11 by the 7:19 mark of the second quarter.
  • Cashing In On Turnovers: Tennessee forced 16 turnovers against UF, turning them into 27 points to account for more than a third of the UT's total points on the night.
  • Owning The Line: UT hit nine of 10 free throws against Florida and is 57 of 71 in SEC play, shooting 80 percent from the free-throw line in conference games.
  • Potent Offense: The Lady Vols shot 53 percent on the night, marking the eighth time this season and the third time in SEC play they have hit at least half of their shots. That occurred only three times during the 2018-19 season.
  • If Tennessee is victorious against the Crimson Tide, Kellie Harper would earn the 300th victory of her 16-year head coaching career.
  • The Lady Vols are trying to open 5-1 in SEC play for the first time since 2014-15. That year, UT was undefeated through six games and won the SEC title with a 15-1 record.
TRACKING TENNESSEE
  • Rennia Davis has scored in double figures in 15 straight games and in 16 of 17 contests this season. Including last year, she has scored 10 or more points in 29 of her past 30 games. Davis is third in the SEC in scoring (19.6 ppg.) in league games, is third in double-doubles this season with seven and is third among active SEC players with 25 career double-doubles.
  • Freshman Jordan Horston and sophomore Jazmine Massengill are each averaging 5.4 apg. in SEC play to rank fourth in the league.
  • In SEC play, redshirt senior Lou Brown (Melbourne) has hit six of 12 three-point attempts (.500) and freshman Jessie Rennie (Bendigo) has swished five of nine (.556). The Aussies are dialed in.
  • Freshman Tamari Key is tops in the SEC with a 4.6 blocks per game average in league play.
  • Rae Burrell brings energy and productivity off the bench for UT, averaging 10.4 ppg., 5.8 rpg. and shooting 45% on field goals.
  • After hitting 75 percent on free throws only once the first 13 games, UT has hit 75 percent or better the past four contests and is leading the SEC in league games at 80.3 percent.
  • Just 17 games into the season, UT has blocked 120 shots and is tops in the SEC with 8.0 bpg. in league games. The blocks total is higher than 17 Lady Vol teams had for an entire season, including the 2018-19 squad's 95.
  • The Lady Vols allowed 69.1 points per game in 2018-19, which was the second highest ever allowed by UT. In 2019-20, UT is allowing a 54.4 average which currently is tops in school history, albeit with a tough schedule ahead.
  • UT is shooting 45.9 percent from the field for the season (3rd, SEC/17th, NCAA) and 50 percent in five SEC games (1st).
  • The Lady Vols have assists on 310 of their 504 field goals (61.5 percent). They are No. 1 at 18.8 apg. in SEC games.
  • UT is shooting 80.3 percent on free throws (No. 1) in SEC play and is led by a trio of players hitting 80+ percent. Kasiyahna Kushkituah entered the season shooting 38 percent for her career and is knocking down 83.3 percent (10 of 12) thus far in league games. Rae Burrell is shooting 81.3 (13-16), while Rennia Davis has hit 12 of 15 (80.0).
  • Freshman Jordan Horston is averaging 12.0 points per game in SEC play, which ranks second on the team. She is tied for the team lead with 27 assists.
  • Jazmine Massengill also has 27 assists in league contests and has committed only six turnovers for a 4.5 to 1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
  • Freshman Tamari Key's 46 blocked shots rank her No. 12 in the nation and second in the SEC. She is currently averaging 4.6 per game in SEC play, which leads all league players.
  • Rae Burrell had 11 points off the bench vs. Florida, marking the eighth time she has hit double figures as a reserve this season.
  • Jordan Horston had a six-game streak of scoring in double figures end at Florida. With another point vs. Florida and one more vs. Stanford, Horston's streak would be standing at nine games.
  • Jazmine Massengill shot 53.3 at the free throw line a year ago. This season, she is hitting 76.5 percent, including 80 percent (20-25) in home games.
ABOUT ALABAMA
  • Alabama enters the game with an 11-6 overall record and 1-3 SEC mark.
  • UA returned four starters and 10 letterwinners from last year's team that posted a 14-17 record, including 5-11 in the league (11th).
  • Juniors Jordan Lewis and Jasmine Walker lead the Crimson Tide, posting 13.4 ppg. and 11.5 ppg., respectively. Walker also pulls down 6.9 rpg.

VolNation

Ala last three game recaps:

Alabama Turns in Record Performance in 75-48 Road Victory Over Auburn

AUBURN, Ala. – Alabama bounced back in a big way with its largest margin of victory in Auburn Arena after defeating the Tigers (6-9, 0-4 SEC), 75-48 Sunday afternoon. The win for the Crimson Tide (11-6, 1-3) is its first in 2020 and its first in Southeastern Conference play. Junior Jasmine Walker tallied her third double-double of the season after dropping in 23 points including knocking down four three-pointers to go along with 10 rebounds. Junior Jordan Lewis poured in 16 points, six rebounds and a game-high five assists. Senior Cierra Johnson also added 11 points and four assists off the bench, while junior Ariyah Copeland chipped in 10 points in the win.

Alabama Drops Hard-Fought Contest to No. 14/14 Kentucky, 81-71

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women's basketball team fell in a hard-fought contest to No.14/14 Kentucky, 81-71, inside Coleman Coliseum on Thursday night. With the loss the Crimson Tide (10-6, 0-3 SEC) is still searching for its first conference win of the year, while the Wildcats (13-2, 2-1 SEC) picked up their second-straight Southeastern Conference victory.

Juniors Jasmine Walker and Ariyah Copeland each scored 15 points for the Tide. Walker had her third straight game scoring in double figures to go with her team-high eight rebounds. Redshirt junior Jordan Lewis added 11 points, while recording a season-high 7 assists. Kentucky sophomore Rhyne Howard had a career night against the Tide with a career-high 43 points on 14-of-21 shooting and 7-of-11 from beyond the arc.

Alabama Falls to No. 4/5 South Carolina, 93-78

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women's basketball fell to No. 4/5 South Carolina on Sunday evening inside Coleman Coliseum, 93-78. The 78 points by the Tide were the most by an Alabama team against South Carolina since Feb. 25, 1999 and the most the Gamecocks have allowed in the 2019-20 season. With the loss, the Crimson Tide (10-5, 0-2 SEC) dropped its second game in a row, while the Gamecocks (14-1, 2-0 SEC) won their eighth consecutive game. Redshirt junior Jordan Lewis led the Tide in scoring with her 21 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Junior Jasmine Walker added 13 points, while sophomore De'Sha Benjamin scored 12, going a perfect 6-6 from the line. Senior Cierra Johnson and sophomore Megan Abrams each chipped in 10 points respectively.

++

By the numbers:

Both teams have ten players with over 100 minutes…Both teams have 9 w over 40% fg percentage…ut 5 ala 6 w over 30% shooting 3’s…ut 4 ala 2 w double figure ppg scorersRebs ut 7 ala 4 w over 70 ttl rebsassists ut 3 ala 1 wi over 50 assists…turnovers ut 3 ala 4 w more than 1 a game…Steals ut 4 ala 3 w dbl digit ttl steals…Blocks ut 5 ala 2 w dbl digit ttl blocks.

Looking at their last game against Auburn…They are weak on the bringdown,,,attack their dribble in the open court,,,We have an advantage in team speed, time to let em run,,,The only time Ala got comfortable was when Aub went to zone,,,Jaz Walker is their heart a 6’3” Power-forward build player who can shoot the three at better than 40%. Key, Harris and McCoy will be best on her bc they have size and athleticism to handle both inside and outside against her. If not, use Rae and Jaz on her OTB Off The Ball and she’ll tire out....Closeouts!! don't be so late on your close-outs. Dribbler picks the ball up,,suffocate them.,,and lead with the pelvis, not the chest ,please...

Coach Jumper’s prediction UT 91 Ala 56
Massey prediction 74 to 65
RPI.com prediction 76 to 65

Last edited:
I hope Coach Jumpers prediction is correct but I have real concerns about this game. Need a win badly and seems terrible things always happen to us when we play them. Better bring the tough defense as they are a very good offensive team. I think their defense has some problems and we may need to score 80 to win unless the defense is at it's ultimate efficiency. Tennessee 80 Alabama 70

Reactions: RollerVol
The score definitely won't be 91 to 56. I just hope Kellie keeps them focused on this game and not the next one. I have some concerns about that but I think the staff will make a point to keep them focused on Alabama. Wish it were Sunday instead of Monday night. We need that extra day to get our freshmen's legs back. Stupid to schedule UConn on a short turn around.

The score definitely won't be 91 to 56. I just hope Kellie keeps them focused on this game and not the next one. I have some concerns about that but I think the staff will make a point to keep them focused on Alabama. Wish it were Sunday instead of Monday night. We need that extra day to get our freshmen's legs back. Stupid to schedule UConn on a short turn around.

I believe this team has/is/and will be, better than its PR or RPI

Massey calls it at 74 to 65 for the Lady Vols. It will be interesting to see whose prediction is closer.

Last edited:
CJ has been into a jug of orange lemonade on this prediction I fear. Gotta admit he's been close on the last two games and it would be nice to see the LVs relieve some of the frustration of the last few years over this opponent by beating the crap out of the Crimson Tide. So, I hope he is correct but I do not see Tennessee winning by 35.

Reactions: sccshortstop
CJ has been into a jug of orange lemonade on this prediction I fear. Gotta admit he's been close on the last two games and it would be nice to see the LVs relieve some of the frustration of the last few years over this opponent by beating the crap out of the Crimson Tide. So, I hope he is correct but I do not see Tennessee winning by 35.

No chance of that jug.

Ironically, one of my idiosyncrasies is I don't eat orange things. carrots, oranges, O-Sherbet,,and on.
I can stand a sweet potato but only if it is enveloped in marshmallow cream, and, I have been known to eat cantaloupe if it is covered in crack-pepper and eaten in combination with hot seared-heavily buttered-biscuit.
But nothing else orange.

In fact, I don't know if my adopted UT TBA family saw it but when I was eating m&m's at the game I dropped the orange one's

So shoot me,,,
I'm unique,,just like everyone else

seriously tho,
my reasonings:

I watch the games (our twice: one as a fan, one as a scout) and break down both sides, equally.
I am equally tough on both. (would love to compare pre-findings with Al B)

IMO
TN is far better than their ratings. and should be, we have a team of "knowns"
Ala has played most teams close but the last one was one of overwhelming a team that has gone 0 for 5 against 4 non-ranked teams and one barely ranked.
The LV's have been overwhelming teams lately. I see it continuing today.
If we clamp down on Walker and Lewis and double if need be on anyone who gets hot,,we'll take the life out of them
Walker shoots the three but gets antsy when a defender collapses on her.

We got this...
Coach K will have them understanding that how you finish one game is usually how you start the next one.
And we finished on a tear.

There is a time to coast to a win,,,its not now!

Besides,, I like to predict the score I should see, not the one everybody expects to see

Last edited:
No chance of that jug.

Ironically, one of my idiosyncrasies is I don't eat orange things. carrots, oranges, O-Sherbet,,and on.
I can stand a sweet potato but only if it is enveloped in marshmallow cream, and, I have been known to eat cantaloupe if it is covered in crack-pepper and eaten in combination with hot seared-heavily buttered-biscuit.
But nothing else orange.

In fact, I don't know if my adopted UT TBA family saw it but when I was eating m&m's at the game I dropped the orange one's

So shoot me,,,
That cantaloupe covered in crack concerns me coach. Hope your prediction is correct.

So shoot me,,,

Now hold on there. You intentionally dropped chocolate candies on the floor at TBA? For someone else to have to clean up? Some of them maybe even crushed and made a real mess by fans passing through your row on the way out??????

That get a :mad: from me!

Now hold on there. You intentionally dropped chocolate candies on the floor at TBA? For someone else to have to clean up? Some of them maybe even crushed and made a real mess by fans passing through your row on the way out??????

That get a :mad: from me!

I'm just doing my part to save a dog's life

The last couple games massey has not been doing well. Predicted 9 points versus florida and it was 28. Predicted 19 versus Ole Miss and it was 56. I'm hoping they are way off again.

Yes, feels great! Last year they were sadly correct and we were on the losing end lol.

seriously tho,
my reasonings:

I watch the games (our twice: one as a fan, one as a scout) and break down both sides, equally.
I am equally tough on both. (would love to compare pre-findings with Al B)

IMO
TN is far better than their ratings. and should be, we have a team of "knowns"
Ala has played most teams close but the last one was one of being overwhelmed and that is what the LV's have been doing lately.
If we clamp down on Walker and Lewis and double if need be on anyone who gets hot,,we'll take the life out of them
Walker shoots the three but gets antsy when a defender collapses on her.

We got this...
Coach K will have them understanding that how you finish one game is usually how you start the next one.
And we finished on a tear.

There is a time to coast to a win,,,its not now!
Without going into details I agree this year's team passes the eye test as far as overall performance compared to the last few years and improving every time out. Yes, continue to develop a killer instinct.

Without going into details I agree this year's team passes the eye test as far as overall performance compared to the last few years and improving every time out. Yes, continue to develop a killer instinct.

agree and more importantly,,,what I instill in my ballers,,,Finish the Kill

No matter how nice we are to a team at the end of a game we are winning,, they are going to come back next game remembering it was a loss

The games that Alabama has won we were either ahead or within three points after the end of the third quarter. In three of the game we were ahead and one down by 4 and the other down by one. They won the fourth quarter in all the games and it was 28 to 10 last year. We had won 42 straight against them until they now have won five. The entire series is 49 to 7 Tennessee so if we can win it will be number 50. They have been off a week to prepare to play us so I expect they are well rested and ready. I hope to see energy unlike we haven't shown before huge game for us.

The games that Alabama has won we were either ahead or within three points after the end of the third quarter. In three of the game we were ahead and one down by 4 and the other down by one. They won the fourth quarter in all the games and it was 28 to 10 last year. We had won 42 straight against them until they now have won five. The entire series is 49 to 7 Tennessee so if we can win it will be number 50. They have been off a week to prepare to play us so I expect they are well rested and ready. I hope to see energy unlike we haven't shown before huge game for us.

First rule of Italian racing, what's behind you is behind you.
We can't think about why, we just got to do what we do

The last couple games massey has not been doing well. Predicted 9 points versus florida and it was 28. Predicted 19 versus Ole Miss and it was 56. I'm hoping they are way off again.

that probably bodes well for tennessee as massey is usually a really good indicator of final scores.

VN Store

Back