Game Thread: #24/25 TENNESSEE VS. ALABAMA

LasVegasBill, I don’t know how you can be a Lady Vol fan and not know what a big deal finally getting over the Alabama jinx that had a grip on Tennessee the last few years. If you were a fan, you wouldn’t be so flippant and demeaning of the win based on the fact that it was “just Alabama.”

I don’t care how terrible we played for 39 minutes and 59 seconds, and I don’t give a rat’s behind whether Rennia’s final basket was skill or luck. FINALLY, a game like this went our way!!!!!! Can’t you see how important that is?

Refs keeping bama in it. Seems familiar
Crowd booed several times tonight. Practically every time the monitor over the court proved the refs were right when they replayed it. Two that stood out to me - a block on KK where she was clearly moving and not in position when she knocked the other player to the floor and an out of bounds off Tennessee where the Bama player hit the ball off her hand but as it came down it bounced of Brown's knee and out of bounds. In both instances the crowd lost their collective minds. The refs did not keep Alabama in it. The 2/3 zone defense occasionally morphing into a box and 1 with extra attention to Rennia is what kept them in it. Once again the LVs were almost completely flummoxed by a zone defense.

Reactions: olddog
The girls are playing like they're scared I hope this doesn't bite Us in the butt. Kelly's go settling down at half-time we've missed a ton of shots we should have 40 points already. Come on Kelly settling down
LVs have lost the huge intimidation factor the they once held over most SEC teams. You are right. We played like the scared team. Work to do still.

Crowd booed several times tonight. Practically every time the monitor over the court proved the refs were right when they replayed it. Two that stood out to me - a block on KK where she was clearly moving and not in position when she knocked the other player to the floor and an out of bounds off Tennessee where the Bama player hit the ball off her hand but as it came down it bounced of Brown's knee and out of bounds. In both instances the crowd lost their collective minds. The refs did not keep Alabama in it. The 2/3 zone defense occasionally morphing into a box and 1 with extra attention to Rennia is what kept them in it. Once again the LVs were almost completely flummoxed by a zone defense.

It wasn't so much the calls they got right,,,,

LVs have lost the huge intimidation factor the they once held over most SEC teams. You are right. We played like the scared team. Work to do still.

In the eyes of everyone but those invested, this was "just" a win over "alabama"
those invested in the Lady Vols
this was the win we had to have
true fans,
Coach K,
players,
me

Now it's time for the connies,,,a win I want to have
the girls will naturally be more relaxed because it is no longer the game that will define us.
We just played that game

Last edited:
she got lucky and you know it and dont get me wrong I wanted Tn to win by 100 but lets not pretend it was a good look and shot. It was desperation.

I’ve heard that Rennia practices those types of shots. Maybe she made her own luck by having practiced that kind of look so often that it was a good bit of skill mixed in there, too. :D

You are correct thank you... I always have been challenged technologically !!!

Sorry to be personal...I tend to bow-up when my girl's are poked

Let me know if you don't understand this:
As you read,, Click Quote for each post you want to quote(bottom right of each post) ,,,when you want to insert the post(s) simply hit the "insert quotes" button below the posting box and then hit the "quote message" box
then put three spaces between each quote and write in on the middle line

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Sorry to be personal...I tend to bow-up when my girl's are poked

Let me know if you don't understand this:
As you read,, Click Quote for each post you want to quote(bottom right of each post) ,,,when you want to insert the post(s) simply hit the "insert quotes" button below the posting box and then hit the "quote message" box
then put three spaces between each quote and write in on the middle line

I defer to you Coach

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Whether or not the crowd was justified in their booing for calls they didn’t like is totally irrelevant in a game like this. Tonight, the terrific crowd treated our players like family. We had their backs and they knew it. Every time the crowd got raucous and booed I guarantee you the Lady Vols felt loved and supported, and that was WAYYYYY more important than whether they were technically correct or not.

Whether or not the crowd was justified in their booing for calls they didn’t like is totally irrelevant in a game like this. Tonight, the terrific crowd treated our players like family. We had their backs and they knew it. Every time the crowd got raucous and booed I guarantee you the Lady Vols felt loved and supported, and that was WAYYYYY more important than whether they were technically correct or not.

The announcer made reference as to the legitimacy of the boos by saying that this was a basketball intelligent environment at that moment

I didn’t do any booing because I personally prefer not to do that, but I found myself appreciating the fact that the crowd was all-in for the Lady Vols and wanted them to know it. It was an amazing atmosphere, especially those last few minutes when none of us could sit down we were so into it. And when Rennia’s shot went through the net and the crowd erupted, I got a little choked up. It was just so freaking perfect. A moment later I found myself wondering how far the sound of that excitement carried on campus. lol :p

This program still has Holly's finger prints all over it. It's going to take time for it to be Kelly's program in a totality. This is a step in the right direction...not a leap....but it's not standing pat..or going in reverse. This is what the program has to do to step forward. The expectations create an ebb of high and lows for the fans but the players and Kelly see whats happening in a sense that the fans will miss. I have never had a bad win for our team...we won 81-79 in an ugly win over Miss St....but it's not a bad win...lol....this was an ugly, good win for the Lady Vols.....take it !

This program still has Holly's finger prints all over it. It's going to take time for it to be Kelly's program in a totality. This is a step in the right direction...not a leap....but it's not standing pat..or going in reverse. This is what the program has to do to step forward. The expectations create an ebb of high and lows for the fans but the players and Kelly see whats happening in a sense that the fans will miss. I have never had a bad win for our team...we won 81-79 in an ugly win over Miss St....but it's not a bad win...lol....this was an ugly, good win for the Lady Vols.....take it !
Trust The Process! Slowly but Surely, It is Happening.

Considering she led the team with 6 turnovers and only had 19 points on 18 shots and is slow to close on shooters and work around screens, both parts of the comment are factual.
This was not a great game for her, but she made some big baskets down the stretch and she’s by far our best perimeter defender. You don’t have to believe me, ask her coaches and teammates. Rennia said Jordan inspires her to play better defense. The kid is a player and we’re lucky she chose UT.

Very exciting game!!! Will not mention the negatives since everyone on this forum knows what we need to work on. I am proud of the way the team played hard even though Alabama kept chipping back. They needed a game like this IMO to let give them confidence when playing in a very tight game.
Great game even though some of the game play was not great. Like Coach J says, they can learn a lot from this. Let’s pull an upset against UConn.

it's a win -- I'm happy with that -- not happy about 20 turnovers and AL getting 13 steals -- a lot of that was either ill-advised passes or just plain lazy passes, neither of which will get you far

BTW - "Rennia Davis hits insane 3-pointer to drop Crimson Tide" - saw this headline and remembered a local HS boy hitting a game-winning 3 from 3/4-court the other day -- gotta shoot to score!

Last edited:
Name "the shot" contest.

1. Moonraker

2. To infinity...and beyond!

3. "Oh, crap."

4. Other (specify)

Prizes:

3rd place: One jar of Dapper Dan.

2nd place: Two irregular Navy blue pleather handbags.

1st place: Surgical gloves worn by Coach Daley in actual Hold Me Back routine (COA supplied upon request).

Reactions: Bret178
it's a win -- I'm happy with that -- not happy about 20 turnovers and AL getting 13 steals -- a lot of that was either ill-advised passes or just plain lazy passes, neither of which will get you far

BTW - "Rennia Davis hits insane 3-pointer to drop Crimson Tide" - saw this headline and remembered a local HS boy hitting a game-winning 3 from 3/4-court the other day -- gotta shoot to score!
We overpass been doing it all season several players had open shots but decided to try to force inside. I don't think this is what this coaching staff wants but as of today have not been able to cure. Horston 6 turnovers, Davis and Massengill 4 turnovers each and Burrell 3 and most were really awful bad decision plays.

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back