Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. GEORGIA

Mimi Collins had a freshman hook shot that was effective against shorter players. (smile)

As long as Key continues to hit the lay ups, and make a few 5-7 footers, this team will be fine...Not sure if the hook will ever be in vogue again, but it would be a nice addition for TK to have...

If she does get a little more muscle, and her sister comes to play with her, forget about it.

As long as Key continues to hit the lay ups, and make a few 5-7 footers, this team will be fine...Not sure if the hook will ever be in vogue again, but it would be a nice addition for TK to have...

If she does get a little more muscle, and her sister comes to play with her, forget about it.

Whether her offense ever evolves or not, I gotta say that I didn't appreciate just how much she brings to the table defensively until watching them play Georgia. The Bulldogs center is 6'5 and a pretty good player, and she was shut. down. If Keys can continue to bring that kind of defensive presence, any offense is just icing on the cake.

Was very impressed with Rennia's postgame tv interview. She was honest, humble, and self-deprecating in the assessment of her own performance even while exuding confidence.

What I liked best was her acknowledging her teammates individually. She's come a long way in taking on the leadership role along with Lou, and she is handling the responsibilty admirably.

We're blessed to have such players and a staff that helps foster these traits.

We have to remember that Key is only playing actually 19.3 minutes per game. 8.8 ppg and 4.8 rebounds her forty minute stats are 20.0 ppg and 10.0 rebounds per game. Her block total per forty minutes is 5.3 so those are really tremendous stats for a freshman. Her only problem thus far and it is not a serious one is that she doesn't yet have the physical stamina or conditioning to go more than seven minutes without a rest but she has started getting right at 30 minutes a game so I believe that her conditioning must be getting better. Coach Harper said she needed to get her out after she goes 6 or 7 minutes because of fatigue.

Last edited:
We have to remember that Key is only playing actually 19.3 minutes per game. 8.8 ppg and 4.8 rebounds her forty minute stats are 20.0 ppg and 10.0 rebounds per game. Her block total per forty minutes is 5.3 so those are really tremendous stats for a freshman. Her only problem thus far and it is not a serious one is that she doesn't yet have the physical stamina or conditioning to go more than seven minutes without a rest but she has started getting right at 30 minutes a game so I believe that her conditioning must be getting better. Coach Harper said she needed to get her out after she goes 6 or 7 minutes because of fatigue.

The "Key" here is the Freshman Wall.
And, no, I cannot produce records/statistics, but, rarely does a freshman finish a season strong ...unless she has been very well coached/managed ...for the long haul. We've had near-countless comments and discussions about playing time/substitution patterns, often with little-to-no consideration for the Wall factor. Coach Kellie (and all Staff involved) appears to have managed our freshmen, and specifically Key and Horston, brilliantly. In fact, I think Jordan would have played fewer minutes (or more minutes "off the ball") were it not for the Zaay Green injury.
Folks, I think we are getting there - "there" being the maximum level we might achieve ...in March (or April). IOW, how far we go, will depend, to a great extent, on the management and the resulting durability of those two incredible freshmen, and how much the bench (and, we're absolutely gonna need it) can help.

Last edited:
She was correct. Notice she didn’t come out in the second quarter. Our coaching staff realized that as well. It’s the defensive end she really impacts when she’s in. The paint belong to her, it just isn’t an option for undersized teams when she’s in the game. Then we can pressure them on the perimeter and they have nothing but long jumpers.
The problem is Key has to rest. KK is going to have to set up her game when she replaces Key, I am going out on a limb but I believe as McCoy’s health improves she will be more physical than KK and with better mobility. We might want to think about putting her in at the 5 when Key needs a blow.

The problem is Key has to rest. KK is going to have to set up her game when she replaces Key, I am going out on a limb but I believe as McCoy’s health improves she will be more physical than KK and with better mobility. We might want to think about putting her in at the 5 when Key needs a blow.

That's not farfetched at all,,,McCoy is only one inch shorter than KK

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
I have no idea. I actually went back to the non-lady vol thread and was confused because I couldn’t find my post lol. Obviously I clicked on the wrong thread by mistake.

Haha just poking fun 😂... I know those AAC teams are probably itching to send UConn off with a loss before they jump ship for another league though...

Reactions: VolBall09
Haha just poking fun 😂... I know those AAC teams are probably itching to send UConn off with a loss before they jump ship for another league though...

They might be itching to, but, sadly, they won’t. Conn may have a couple of close (for them) calls (10-15 point wins), but they’ll finish their AAC schedule undefeated and win their tournament.

They’re less dominating this season, but they are still capable of getting hot from outside and still capable of smothering defense. They are also still capable of crushing the Lady Vols unless we bring our best game, by FAR, of the season.

Reactions: krichunaka
I have no idea. I actually went back to the non-lady vol thread and was confused because I couldn’t find my post lol. Obviously I clicked on the wrong thread by mistake.
Don't apologize. Many comments the last couple of days have not been about the actual game.

And, no, I cannot produce records/statistics, but, rarely does a freshman finish a season strong ...unless she has been very well coached/managed ...for the long haul. We've had near-countless comments and discussions about playing time/substitution patterns, often with little-to-no consideration for the Wall factor. Coach Kellie (and all Staff involved) appears to have managed our freshmen, and specifically Key and Horston, brilliantly. In fact, I think Jordan would have played fewer minutes (or more minutes "off the ball") were it not for the Zaay Green injury.
Folks, I think we are getting there - "there" being the maximum level we might achieve ...in March (or April). IOW, how far we go, will depend, to a great extent, on the management and the resulting durability of those two incredible freshmen, and how much the bench (and, we're absolutely gonna need it) can help.

Long time member but finally settling down and able to post.

I totally agree with your assessment. I’ve seen so many complain about her substitution patterns, but they are very strategic. She has managed everyone’s minutes very well in my opinion. Too many times in the past few years, we have been gassed by the end of the season or “run out of steam” during SEC play.

As a former college athlete and coach, I can appreciate what Coach Harper is doing. Not only is she managing the players very well, but she’s also getting those that give us 7-10 minutes of playing time those minutes in more than garbage time especially during our OOC schedule. This will bode well for the future. Rennie is a great example of a player improving as a result of this mindset. This team loves playing together and playing for Coach Harper and it’s very evident in their body language. When I listen to the post game press conferences, I hear a group of young ladies that have started taking on the personality of their coach. There is no confusing. They know exactly what is expected, and are very honest when they don’t meet those expectations. They are bought in and that excites me as we continue conference play.

Exactly freshmen are not prepared to play at this intensity for the length of time of the college basketball season. Coach did as much as she could to limit their minutes and still win games. Since SEC began she has been playing them more and will have to do so to win going forward. How they continue to perform whether that be better or worse we'll definitely find out. Key and Horston are vital to whatever success this team has this season.

Long time member but finally settling down and able to post.

I totally agree with your assessment. I’ve seen so many complain about her substitution patterns, but they are very strategic. She has managed everyone’s minutes very well in my opinion. Too many times in the past few years, we have been gassed by the end of the season or “run out of steam” during SEC play.

As a former college athlete and coach, I can appreciate what Coach Harper is doing. Not only is she managing the players very well, but she’s also getting those that give us 7-10 minutes of playing time those minutes in more than garbage time especially during our OOC schedule. This will bode well for the future. Rennie is a great example of a player improving as a result of this mindset. This team loves playing together and playing for Coach Harper and it’s very evident in their body language. When I listen to the post game press conferences, I hear a group of young ladies that have started taking on the personality of their coach. There is no confusing. They know exactly what is expected, and are very honest when they don’t meet those expectations. They are bought in and that excites me as we continue conference play.

Welcome, luballer. That was a great first post, and I hope you'll become a regular voice here.

VN Store

Back