Game Thread: #22/22 LADY VOLS AT #1/2 SOUTH CAROLINA

Ok, thought we came out sluggish this game and last game. Although we’re many times our own worst enemy, the good things are: it was one game, we were not expected to win it, and it’s over. Again, learn from it, move on, and play better next game. On to Mississippi State, and games that will be tough but that we have a better shot of winning.

This team has already exceeded my expectations, considering the loss of scorers for one reason or another, but I still look for more wins. Still looking for the perfect win, with high effort, low turnovers, great shooting, and smothering defense.

Would love to beat Mississippi State. GO LADY VOLS!

Ok, thought we came out sluggish this game and last game. Although we’re many times our own worst enemy, the good things are: it was one game, we were not expected to win it, and it’s over. Again, learn from it, move on, and play better next game. On to Mississippi State, and games that will be tough but that we have a better shot of winning.

This team has already exceeded my expectations, considering the loss of scorers for one reason or another, but I still look for more wins. Still looking for the perfect win, with high effort, low turnovers, great shooting, and smothering defense.

Would love to beat Mississippi State. GO LADY VOLS!

Also we held them under their averages for PPG , FG %, and Rebounds. The bad part is they did the same 😩

This team is offensively challenged. We have known that from day 1. That’s why Kellie has tried to focus so much on defense and rebounding. I rewatch most games once and sometimes twice and they actually run some nice sets to get people open. The problem is when they are open they miss wide open shots or are tentative and pass up the shot leading to a turnover. This is why Kellie shortened practices to get them extra shooting practice during the week. If you look at the type of players Kellie is currently recruiting versus what we currently have you will notice some of them appear to be a little less athletic, but they are physical, can shoot, and seem to have a high basketball IQ. The problems we’ve had in the past is we didn’t have that balance. Lou is the closet we have to that type of player but she is very limited due to her injury. However, in games you can tell the difference in our composure when Lou is not in the game.

I know many think we average so many turnovers because Kellie is not “tough enough” and doesn’t punish them enough for turnovers. I’m sure if that is all it took every team in America would never have a turnover. The problem is Kellie is not only teaching the freshman how to play smart basketball now that they are in college but she’s having to basically start from scratch with everyone. Re is our best player, as a JR, but even she has had turnover and consistency issues in the past. This is the most consistent she has been but she still has a few questionable turnovers every game. She’s also working on being a vocal leader. One poster mentioned Geno wouldn’t deal with Horston’s turnover, but let’s be realistic in stating that he wouldn’t have too because he has a veteran PG that she can learn from. Same with most of the top teams in the country. Good veteran leadership at PG can make an average team above average. Unfortunately, Kellie doesn’t have that luxury with Horston, so you take the good with the bad and hope that the game slows down for her before tournament time. Horston is very very talented but without veteran leadership even talented players struggle with that much pressure and responsibility as freshman. As far as Key, I think she’s coming along nicely. Part of the problem with her posting is the guards are always a second to slow in feeding her the ball. As a guard, you have to learn the tendencies of your post and know when to feed them. In the games that she has made herself a big body, our guards have flat out missed her. Battling in the post is tiring so they have got to do a better job of rewarding Key at the right time for her hard work.

I’ve seen a lot of positives this year to make me hopeful. For as frustrating as the losses against the ranked teams have been I still think Kellie can get it done. My only problem is the substitutions. I understand why and agree with the strategy early on but now that we are in the gauntlet portion of our schedules she has got to keep Key and Jaz on the floor. Give them a 1-2 minute breather each quarter and get them back in the game.
Good post.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
5 losses vs 4 very good teams and a good Ky team. So we have beat all the teams we were suppose to beat and lost to all the teams that were suppose to beat us. What does that mean? Are we above avg? mediocre? good? Or are the teams we beat just worse than last year?

5 losses vs 4 very good teams and a good Ky team. So we have beat all the teams we were suppose to beat and lost to all the teams that were suppose to beat us. What does that mean? Are we above avg? mediocre? good? Or are the teams we beat just worse than last year?

Frankly, this next game will tell us a lot about Kellie IMO...

The LVs have played and lost to Stanford, UConn , Ky and SC on their courts. And with each loss the negative keyboards ring from occasional members - accusing coaches and players of having numerous faults and work-habits that they should not have against teams with superior talent.

I wonder how did the other teams who played UConn and SC do - did they also have inferior coaches, players with attitudes and fundamental issues as well as recruiting deficiencies - probably but few of those teams has the knowledge and "support" of our forum.

I’d try starting Jordan Horston at high post. Have guards get the ball to her and let her create from that spot. Why NOT?

Reactions: gule
1) It is way too early to start to criticize KJH.
Her tactics are limited by her players; D1 basketball is far removed from high school ball. She inherited a bad team with high school fundamentals not D1 fundamentals.
Players have to trust that other players will be in certain places and do certain things. You have to trust that your teammates will cut when and where they are supposed to.
If a team doesn't have the consistency of performance that leads to trust, that team turns the ball over a lot.
This team is considerably better than last years team; They beat who they are supposed to beat and play tougher against good teams.

2) You do not have a dominant player at point. Jaz can be that player but she appears to be intimidated by more dominant personalities.
I don't know if all your players trust the system yet. Some of the passes they throw looks like they thought the player was going to do something or be somewhere and it didn't happen.

Last edited:
Because it's unemotional, I always like to see why we lost the game in the box score. IMO TOs are worth at least a point a piece because they cost you a shot opportunity and give the opponent a good shot opportunity. There's 15 points in TOs. So without the TO disadvantage we're in the ball game. Next, we shot terribly and only attempted 7 threes, hitting only one. As a big underdog you need to shoot at least 20 threes especially when your posts have weak offensive games. So the game was lost in TOs and poor shooting.

The biggest TO offender was Horston. She has to get this under control. She had more TOs than SC as a team.

The worst offensive stat line might still go to Burrell. The offensive inefficiency is just astounding. In 26 minutes she takes the second most shots on the team, making almost none of them.

And as a final nit to pick, all those bricks and only 9 offensive boards... We've got to want it more than that.

Last edited:
The LVs have played and lost to Stanford, UConn , Ky and SC on their courts. And with each loss the negative keyboards ring from occasional members - accusing coaches and players of having numerous faults and work-habits that they should not have against teams with superior talent.

I wonder how did the other teams who played UConn and SC do - did they also have inferior coaches, players with attitudes and fundamental issues as well as recruiting deficiencies - probably but few of those teams has the knowledge and "support" of our forum.
I know what you mean but...
Do we really want to be one of those "other teams" with no expectations of NCAA glory ?

Reactions: Putbacks and PG1
Turnover, turnovers, turnovers. One player, Horston, had more turnovers, seven, then the entire SC team with six. Quoting Marvin Gaye, "What's Going On". Also quoting President Ronald Reagan metaphorically, "Coach Kellie, Solve This Problem!.

Also we held them under their averages for PPG , FG %, and Rebounds. The bad part is they did the same 😩
The 6 turnovers for them to our 21 is all you need to know about this game. They ended up with 69 shot attempts to our 52 Free throws even so same old story. We don't force turnovers and we create to many. The only way you can compete creating 21 turnovers it to force then into the same otherwise your not going to be able to be in the game and thus we never were.

Reactions: PG1 and Volfaninfl2
And yes, to begin the game the players’ reaction times made them look like they were stuck knee deep in mud. I’ve seen glaciers move more quickly. Made me instantly think that all the draining emotions and travel over the past couple of weeks finally caught up with them and their bodies were lagging.

They did eventually pick up the pace and I was very proud of the so many good moments they had, but I never felt like they were going to be able to find enough juice to stop a very good, balanced, deep South Carolina team.

I’m not even disappointed. I just want them to go home, get some rest, and hopefully have more energy and focus next game. It happens. Just find something to learn from it, learn it, and use what you learned to help beat the next opponent.

I have no less confidence or excitement about this team now than I did last night.

I will hold my opinion of SC until they play UConn.

SC has a good chance to win a National Championship this year... if someone else knocks out UConn for them. Even if they do beat UConn in the regular season, I have no faith Dawn can beat Geno in March/April...

Reactions: feathersax
The 6 turnovers for them to our 21 is all you need to know about this game. They ended up with 69 shot attempts to our 52 Free throws even so same old story. We don't force turnovers and we create to many. The only way you can compete creating 21 turnovers it to force then into the same otherwise your not going to be able to be in the game and thus we never were.

Was I wrong did we not hold them below their averages ?

Reactions: lvocd
Thanks to a few teams still in third and could make that tied for second Thursday night. Everybody is playing for second this season SC will win the league. I don't have confidence we'll win because this turnover thing with Horston has been an ongoing problem that no one has corrected. A few other players committed to many today as well but she is always at seven or higher in almost every game. I was giving her the excuse of being a freshman but that is now not a good reason for her to continue to play like she is playing. You eventually have to adjust your style of play and your decision making for the good of the team. I hope this is the last time we'll see this but I doubt it is fixed by Thursday. Pat would've never stood for it from her or any other player Kellie has to toughen up a little possessions are to important to give away totally unforced.

This team is offensively challenged. We have known that from day 1. That’s why Kellie has tried to focus so much on defense and rebounding. I rewatch most games once and sometimes twice and they actually run some nice sets to get people open. The problem is when they are open they miss wide open shots or are tentative and pass up the shot leading to a turnover. This is why Kellie shortened practices to get them extra shooting practice during the week. If you look at the type of players Kellie is currently recruiting versus what we currently have you will notice some of them appear to be a little less athletic, but they are physical, can shoot, and seem to have a high basketball IQ. The problems we’ve had in the past is we didn’t have that balance. Lou is the closet we have to that type of player but she is very limited due to her injury. However, in games you can tell the difference in our composure when Lou is not in the game.

I know many think we average so many turnovers because Kellie is not “tough enough” and doesn’t punish them enough for turnovers. I’m sure if that is all it took every team in America would never have a turnover. The problem is Kellie is not only teaching the freshman how to play smart basketball now that they are in college but she’s having to basically start from scratch with everyone. Re is our best player, as a JR, but even she has had turnover and consistency issues in the past. This is the most consistent she has been but she still has a few questionable turnovers every game. She’s also working on being a vocal leader. One poster mentioned Geno wouldn’t deal with Horston’s turnover, but let’s be realistic in stating that he wouldn’t have too because he has a veteran PG that she can learn from. Same with most of the top teams in the country. Good veteran leadership at PG can make an average team above average. Unfortunately, Kellie doesn’t have that luxury with Horston, so you take the good with the bad and hope that the game slows down for her before tournament time. Horston is very very talented but without veteran leadership even talented players struggle with that much pressure and responsibility as freshman. As far as Key, I think she’s coming along nicely. Part of the problem with her posting is the guards are always a second to slow in feeding her the ball. As a guard, you have to learn the tendencies of your post and know when to feed them. In the games that she has made herself a big body, our guards have flat out missed her. Battling in the post is tiring so they have got to do a better job of rewarding Key at the right time for her hard work.

I’ve seen a lot of positives this year to make me hopeful. For as frustrating as the losses against the ranked teams have been I still think Kellie can get it done. My only problem is the substitutions. I understand why and agree with the strategy early on but now that we are in the gauntlet portion of our schedules she has got to keep Key and Jaz on the floor. Give them a 1-2 minute breather each quarter and get them back in the game.
Great post, agree with all. My big frustration with Harper is also the substitution pattern. She seems determined to "play through" her sub plan and seems far more confident KK can improve and contribute than I am.

I thought our best chance to be competitive today was torpedoed by KJH when she subbed in the 3rd quarter, taking out Key and Massengill. Also thought Horston got WAY too many mins, especially at point. How in the world does Horston get more mins handling the ball than Massengill?

Horston had two turnovers in the first 30 seconds, our first two possessions, and IMO the tone was pretty much set. We are so much better mentally than previous seasons, but still very, very fragile. Especially against ranked opponents, we need to start sharp and focused. IMO Horston should have been pulled after the second t.o. and given the opportunity to watch the flow of the game develop.

No way in the world Horston, who does have 111 assists but also a whooping 97 t.o.s on the season, plays more or handles the ball a fraction as much as Jaz, who in slightly more mins overall has 93 assists and only 34 t.o.s. What is hard about making this call? I do wish Jaz would take a little more initiative offensively, especially when all around her are misfiring.

Not sure what the answer is for Horston, but she is not improving in ball handling at all, and that is very concerning this deep into the season. I know Rae continues to be a fog of inconsistency, but maybe time to look at starting her instead of Jordan. Something has to give with JH.

While I'm generally very well pleased with Davis this year, she makes way too many unforced t.o.s as well. Weakest part of her game.

Our posts attempted only 2 shots today! What good is all the height if they are MIA on offense?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back