Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 86 - Mississippi State 64

Sorry to be a downer.she had a great game but again it was against a non quality opponent look at her scoring against the elite SC Stanford UCONN give us that what she did tonight and we can beat any of them

I wouldn’t call them a “non-quality opponent” they are a scrappy team who exceeded everyone’s expectations. Discounting what Darby did last night is silly. She shot the ball quick and several were with a good close out from MSST. She stepped up because we have to have her shooting the ball.

In other games you mentioned she deferred a lot to our stars. With Horston out Tess has to shoot the ball.

An additional observation would be that her role is to hit the spot up 3. A position that seems to be on a lot of college teams and some in the W, as Shekinna did for Connecticut. It then would be the job of the other players to create the action to give her the space she needs.
Exactly and if she can add the ability to drive and shoot the mid- range just would make her that much more dangerous a player. She has three more years to play after this one and has 45 threes if she didn't get anymore than 45 a season the next three years she will have 180 threes and would be number five all time three point shooter at Tennessee only behind Bjorklund, Zolman, Lawson, and Simmons which would put her is really strong company.

So you want me to overlook those games against the better teams when she did nothing and just be positive about when she scores against a mediocre team.im looking with my eyes not my mind

As a spot-up shooter that does not create her own shot, the team has a responsibility to find Darby any time she is open. It helps when you're getting defensive stops and finding her in transition.

I wouldn’t call them a “non-quality opponent” they are a scrappy team who exceeded everyone’s expectations. Discounting what Darby did last night is silly. She shot the ball quick and several were with a good close out from MSST. She stepped up because we have to have her shooting the ball.

In other games you mentioned she deferred a lot to our stars. With Horston out Tess has to shoot the ball.
We needed her to shoot when Horston was playing.im glad she had a good game but there is nothing wrong with wanting to see her have that kind of game against the better teams

We needed her to shoot when Horston was playing.im glad she had a good game but there is nothing wrong with wanting to see her have that kind of game against the better teams
She shoots when she gets the shots got more looks last night than she has in any other game. I hope they keep working it for her didn't do it as much when Horston was in for whatever reason.

I think were the underdogs in the game even on the home floor. We will have to play a tremendous game to win. They bring in eight seniors not going to be intimidated by the crowd no matter how strong. They have the bigs and the guards to give us big problems and they increase largely if Key gets in foul trouble.

I agree 100% Miss State don`t have the size LSU brings. Plus there guards can be a headache and a problem to deal with.

I really don't the Tess naysayers. Tess is rapidly becoming the player everyone wanted Kourtney Dunbar to be. Where is the love for Tess?
Tess is probably a really strong person. When she committed to play for Kellie and Tennessee, I’ve never seen such complaining here on a new player, it was shameful. It was directed against her and Kellie, just like some complained about Edie as a walk on commit. The resident troll here was a big part of that.

Tess was injured in her first year, so is just getting to play, and improve, this year. Her 3 point shooting average of .396 is the highest on the team. She has a high basketball IQ, and sometimes on defense I see her stick a hand in and cause an opponent to lose the ball. She does a lot of little things one might not notice. She’s also rebounding more, she’s just getting better and better.

One intangible she has that doesn’t show up in stats, is that she is one of the leaders on this team. There are plenty of us who have always supported and loved Tess.

GO TESS and GO LADY VOLS!!!

Still got to play the games never know what is going to happen like Vandy beating Florida.

True i watched a lot of that Vandy Florida game, Florida did a very poor job handling the Vandy pressure very poor job. 28 turnovers will not cut it. If they did not turn the ball over that many times they win the game.

She shoots when she gets the shots got more looks last night than she has in any other game. I hope they keep working it for her didn't do it as much when Horston was in for whatever reason.
I went back and watched the Stanford game and they looked for her plenty of times but the defender crowded her and she didn't shoot.im not saying force a shot I'm just saying the better teams going to key on her and the question is can she still find a way to score.

I went back and watched the Stanford game and they looked for her plenty of times but the defender crowded her and she didn't shoot.im not saying force a shot I'm just saying the better teams going to key on her and the question is can she still find a way to score.

Well, that is what spreading the floor means. If teams come out to guard the perimeter shooter, the onus is not on Tess to shoot but the LVs to hit the driving lane or find Key in the post. Players like Tess are zone breakers. Their job is to make teams pay for sagging in the paint.

I agree 100% Miss State don`t have the size LSU brings. Plus there guards can be a headache and a problem to deal with.

So can ours... we saw that yesterday. When Walker wants to step up she can. I'm looking forward to how she matches up.

Also, has anyone heard about Alexis Morris she has to exit the game yesterday. I think i saw her back on the sideline. Not sure though

I was shocked to read that Key scored 23 points in this game, given that there have been multiple games in recent weeks when she has taken fewer than 5 shots in a game and scored under 10 points. I watched the highlights and realized why: Miss. State has no size. They had a very small player trying to guard her most of the game. Hey, we'll take it.

Also surprised that Burrell had /another/ very poor shooting game. In fact, poor shooting has been her norm since returning. She's too talented to keep having shooting problems--but then I was saying that 3 weeks ago.

VN Store

Back