Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 86 - Mississippi State 64

That's not correct. We have secured the double bye. Ole Miss has lost 5. We have lost 4. If we lose and they win, we are tied at 5 losses. We have the tiebreaker over them. The first tiebreaker is head to head. We can't fall below Ole Miss period. Florida can push us down to 4 if they win and we lose Sunday because they have the tiebreaker over us. We have secured a double bye.
It is head to head among all the teams that tie. So Florida could win and tie as well and then you all have 1 and 1 records. That would be correct if just Tennessee and Ole Miss tied Florida throws a monkey wrench into the selections.

Three (or more) team ties are decided by the best winning percentage of the tied teams' games against each other; then record against the No. 1 seed and proceeding down through the other seeds; then, if necessary a coin flip between two teams, or if three teams remain tied, a draw by the SEC Commissioner.

Ok here goes If we lose to LSU, Florida and Ole Miss win then we would all be tied with 1 and 1 records so we go to the next tiebreaker which would be versus SC and if Ole Miss beats them they would be 1 and 1 while Florida and Tennessee would be 0 and 1 so this would make Ole Miss the number three seed. Then you go to the next team which is LSU if we lost then we would be 0 and 1 and Florid would be 1 and 1 so that seems to make them the fourth seed and us fifth. I think we need to be focused to beat LSU which makes us the number two seed. If Sc beast Ole Miss were fourth for sure depending on what Florida does in their game with Missouri we could be third. Them saying that we have secured the double bye on the press conference doesn't ring true as after the head to head you go against team finishings in the league so that would make us lose to Ole Miss vs SC while tying with Florida. Then to LSU they would be 1 and 1 versus LSU while we would be 0 and 1 that seems to put them fourth. We need to win or one of them needs to lose.
Kellie Stated in her Presser that they did secure a double-bye for the SEC tournament last night. If we lose and ole miss wins against SC, isn't it about our head to head with Ole Miss rather than OLe misses win again SC when there is a tied record and wouldn't that give us the higher seed?

Kellie Stated in her Presser that they did secure a double-bye for the SEC tournament last night. If we lose and ole miss wins against SC, isn't it about our head to head with Ole Miss rather than OLe misses win again SC when there is a tied record and wouldn't that give us the higher seed?
I know here is the rule from the SEC office

When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams re- main tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.
1) Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).

I hope we have it but this rule says we don't as all three would be 1 and 1 and thus go to the top team in the SEC SC All three teams are 0 and 1 versus them but Ole Miss plays them at home Sunday. I don't expect them to win but if they did 1 and 1 would win that tiebreaker.

Would be if Florida wasn't in the tie then they count head to head against all three tied teams and that is 1 and 1 for all three teams. I will take Coaches word that we have it though even though the tiebreaker rules seems to say we don't.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We play better at home well Nashville is our 2nd home and I expect a ton of Lady Vol fans recreating the TBA feeling if wanna pull that off
If we had Green and Horston I think we would've won that tourney in Nashville. I am inclined to believe it will be more Tennessee fans there than any other school.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I disagree that Rae is getting decent looks at the rim. Her looks are usually from her backside on the floor after a desperation heave. IMO if the knee is hampering her its in the initial few step of the drive. Hurting her even more is how the drives develop. They are extremely telegraphed, she leans over, takes a few slow dribbles and then launches. Everyone and their Granny knows what's coming. Rae is such a good outside shooter, I wonder if a shot fake might occasionally be a better launching pad, like Vescovi does so effectively.

Balance is a big problem for Rae. I don't think I've ever seen a player fall as much as she does. It was always a problem, but has gotten much worse since her injury. She's on the floor at least 8 or 10 times a game. I suspect its a head thing, a physiological fall back (literally) for a play gone wrong. Needs to stop. Rae HAS to get fixed for our postseason hopes.

As far as Tess, Kellie made a great observation in the postgame interview. Tess now only has to shoot, not necessarily hit, to be a problem for the opposition defense. She's established enough of a threat where she has to be considered. Which helps open up the lane for TK. Of course we want her to hit the shots which is a double bonus. Hopefully hitting 3s against better teams is the next step in Tess' evolution into a solid SEC player. A summer in the weight room, along with Striplin and Puckett, would also be a huge help.

I agree that Rae's balance is an issue. It is odd. She has a higher center of gravity as her legs seem a bit disproportionately long so maybe that contributes. However,she really needs to figure out how to correct this imbalance (maybe getting stronger in her lower body, working more on body positioning).

Absolutely, Rae has been forcing some off balance shots but of her 4-15 night (1-4 from outside), only a handful of those were off balance heaves or taken at impossible angle under the basket. The reality is that when Rae forces she often does not get the basket because she gets the ball stolen or is sprawled on the floor after losing the ball in traffic. But when she had a driving lane, she missed several makable scoop shots as well as several wide open jumpers (and several of those shots where just off, rolling around the rim and out) Heck, one of the jumpers she hit still took three of four crazy bounces around the rim before going in.

I am not a fan of "it's all in your head" explanations of recurrent performance problems. In some cases that may indeed be the root, but often I think there is physiological problem that contributes to the lack of confidence or regression or whatever. Back in the early 90's, the LVs had an AA caliber middle distance runner but she was notoriously inconsistent. One race she would run like a world beater and another she would be jogging across the line in last place. Head case right? Senior year, her doctors discovered she had sickle cell trait and there were specific triggers that could create manifest symptoms.

In Rae's case, to use very precise medical terminology, the knee bone is connected to the leg bone is connected to the hip bone and so on. A knee injury can disrupt the entire kinesthetic chain. A big part of PT is reestablishing those disrupted chains. Since Rae' kinesthetics have always been a little suspect, it may take her longer to really get back. To me, the mental aspect is Rae's brain is telling to her to do what she could do pre-injury and her body is just not in sync with those commands.

Last edited:
Yep you are a downer, but you don’t sound particularly sorry to be one.
So you want me to overlook those games against the better teams when she did nothing and just be positive about when she scores against a mediocre team.im looking with my eyes not my mind

I disagree that Rae is getting decent looks at the rim. Her looks are usually from her backside on the floor after a desperation heave. IMO if the knee is hampering her its in the initial few step of the drive. Hurting her even more is how the drives develop. They are extremely telegraphed, she leans over, takes a few slow dribbles and then launches. Everyone and their Granny knows what's coming. Rae is such a good outside shooter, I wonder if a shot fake might occasionally be a better launching pad, like Vescovi does so effectively.

Balance is a big problem for Rae. I don't think I've ever seen a player fall as much as she does. It was always a problem, but has gotten much worse since her injury. She's on the floor at least 8 or 10 times a game. I suspect its a head thing, a physiological fall back (literally) for a play gone wrong. Needs to stop. Rae HAS to get fixed for our postseason hopes.

As far as Tess, Kellie made a great observation in the postgame interview. Tess now only has to shoot, not necessarily hit, to be a problem for the opposition defense. She's established enough of a threat where she has to be considered. Which helps open up the lane for TK. Of course we want her to hit the shots which is a double bonus. Hopefully hitting 3s against better teams is the next step in Tess' evolution into a solid SEC player. A summer in the weight room, along with Striplin and Puckett, would also be a huge help.
Thank you glv98 that's all I've been saying that Tess needs to shoot and hopefully make against the better teams which you stated but people saying I'm negative I'm just making an observation off what I see

SECN+ is free and you should get it on the ESPN App if your tv provider has the SEC network (ESPN+ is the one you pay for). I used to have this problem when I had Directv before I switched to Directv Stream, which is wonderful and saved tons of money, and using Roku. Anyway, if you are having the problem of not getting SECN+, you need to delete your ESPN App and reinstall it, I used to have to do that for almost every game I wanted to watch on SECN+.

thanx. I will try deleting and reinstalling. We do have the SEC network, so that’s annoying. May look into DTV stream too.

So you want me to overlook those games against the better teams when she did nothing and just be positive about when she scores against a mediocre team.im looking with my eyes not my mind
She scored six points against SC they are not mediocre and has shot 50 percent from the three in all SEC games this season. Since she is virtually a freshmen even though she was on the team last season you really need to look more at her last ten games. 42 of 106 from the three is positive no matter who you play. You don't overlook those games you mention or any game she needs help still to make shots. She is getting better because players are getting her more looks. I look for her to become more of a shot creator for herself during the off season. She has the size and ability to develop the skills to make that happen.

Last year Rae was "all-everything" at the season's end.
This year she has to try to go from injured to that level in a few short weeks
with all of this on her mind,
keeping a clear head and staying in "controlled aggression" state should be a cinch
YOU! try it!

Rae is also the one other teams send their best one on one defenders after.

injuries f with you for a long time after they heal...at some point a switch will click and she will move on as Rae the player, not Rae the was-injured player...but for now she is trying to find that fine line between forcing it back and testing her limits.

The timing of this game was ideal. They had a comfortable win so there was no need to go deep into the intensity tank (even more important with the team being even more shorthanded). On the plus side, getting Wynn some good minutes is great for her development.

LSU will be the real test of what this team can be without Jordan H.
I wish I had your keen perception, MadtownVol. You are 100% correct when you say the LSU game will be the real test of the LVs capability without Horston. The MSU win was a good win, but, MSU is not LSU.

Thank God for the truth seekers protecting us all from chaos, anarchy and taking pleasure in a conference win.

But, would it have been better if Tess had missed all her shots last night? At the beginning of the season, many said "she is not a D1 player and never will be". Now, she can only play against mediocre comp. And actually, she has played well across the SEC schedule but, like the team, has had ups and downs. Her defense has come so far so fast, that even Kellie admitted to be surprised by how much improvement she has shown during the season. Her rebounding has even picked up. So, when it comes to hardnosed views, do you want us to overlook her obvious improvement curve? Her glass is more than half full.

Last edited:
I wish I had your keen perception, MadtownVol. You are 100% correct when you say the LSU game will be the real test of the LVs capability without Horston. The MSU win was a good win, but, MSU is not LSU.
I think were the underdogs in the game even on the home floor. We will have to play a tremendous game to win. They bring in eight seniors not going to be intimidated by the crowd no matter how strong. They have the bigs and the guards to give us big problems and they increase largely if Key gets in foul trouble.

Another Tess naysayer. But the numbers tell the truth. See post #489. Tess is a player at this level and will only get better.

agree that Rae's balance is an issue. It is odd. She has a higher center of gravity as her legs seem a bit disproportionately long so maybe that contributes. However,she really needs to figure out how to correct this imbalance (maybe getting stronger in her lower body,, working more on body positioning).
Someone, maybe you, once accurately described Rae's long-legged balance as like a fawn trying to stand for the first time. Definitely an area to work on.
To me, the mental aspect is Rae's brain is telling to her to do what she could do pre-injury and her body is just not in sync with those commands.
I could be wrong, so much has happened since then, but I don't remember Rae ever having much success with driving to the rim, most especially as her go to move. In fact, I remember her improvement being she stopped doing that so much. That said, once her outside and midrange game is established for the defense, THEN I remember her drives being successful.

As far as her head, I question how watching film of play after unsuccessful play where the to the rim move doesn't work as a first option, the old command does not get over ridden. Whatever the reason it doesn't, it needs to, and quickly.

Another Tess naysayer. But the numbers tell the truth. See post #489. Tess is a player at this level and will only get better.

I really don't get the Tess naysayers. Tess is rapidly becoming the player everyone wanted Kourtney Dunbar to be. Where is the love for Tess?

Last edited:

with shooters its less about the competition level and more about the consistency and dependability of makes.

As evident against us...we give tons of open looks around the arc,,,so does SC, so do most teams ,,,the further from the basket, the smaller the makes/percentage,,,the more open looks

with shooters it is less about who they're playing and more about their own proficiencies

She scored six points against SC they are not mediocre and has shot 50 percent from the three in all SEC games this season. Since she is virtually a freshmen even though she was on the team last season you really need to look more at her last ten games. 42 of 106 from the three is positive no matter who you play. You don't overlook those games you mention or any game she needs help still to make shots. She is getting better because players are getting her more looks. I look for her to become more of a shot creator for herself during the off season. She has the size and ability to develop the skills to make that happen.

An additional observation would be that her role is to hit the spot up 3. A position that seems to be on a lot of college teams and some in the W, as Shekinna did for Connecticut. It then would be the job of the other players to create the action to give her the space she needs.

thanx. I will try deleting and reinstalling. We do have the SEC network, so that’s annoying. May look into DTV stream too.
Had for 5 yrs, could not recommend more highly. I have live TV bc I watch live sports and live news all the time. I pay 100$ per month for 3 streams for a midrange pkg that gives me all the live channels I watch including local. Of course you have to be wi-fi connected but who isn't? In addition to the livestream, you get access to many apps like ESPN, PBS, History, etc. Netflix, Disney+, HBO are extra if you want them. Another thing I really like is no hardware, no contract, complete control of account online, no customer service ever. You Tube, Hulu and others have similar services. Can stream on your phone, Ipad, laptop, etc. Streaming is definitely the bomb.
injuries f with you for a long time after they heal...at some point a switch will click and she will move on as Rae the player, not Rae the was-injured player...but for now she is trying to find that fine line between forcing it back and testing her limits.
Agree, but the probllem is time is running short for the switch to get flipped. But I do realize she's really trying hard, which can itself lead to crossing that fine line.

VN Store

Back