Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 54 - (8/8) LSU 57

UGA reminds me of a worse version of us honestly, Bama beat us once already. I actually fear them the most, suppose Auburn did too but that was more flukey.
I actually wouldnt want to play Georgia. Sure they are beatable but also very capable with Staiti and Morrison. They are a weird team, that honestly have me conflicted.... so much potential but never playing up to it

Last edited:
What if the shot goes in?
Did anyone get a good look at that shot? I couldn't see much on tv and there was no replay. Was it a weird angle? Was she fouled?

I feel so bad for Rae. I thought she actually took better shots today but damn, like everyone else she missed every way to Sunday. Not optimistic it will happen, but a post season turnaround would sure be nice. Heck I'd be delighted if she could regain half the effectiveness she had before. Right now, sadly, she is borderline hurting us.

Who would you have given the last chance 3 to, assuming we had actually been able to inbound the ball? I go with Puckett to inbound then step back in for the pass . Darby is the kind of shooter who either burns it up or airmails it. Today was door #2. I wouldn't go to Rae for obvious reasons and also bc missing the game winning shot to end a nightmare Sr. day would be just too cruel. So by default, it's Puckett. And I know, she's in a slump too, who isn't?

Cynical me says its somehow fitting that the game ended with a furious comeback after some horrid play, then a missed layup, and an unbelievably boneheaded turnover on the most important play of the game. Not with a bang but a whimper.

Realistic me knows we been playing on house money since Jordan went down. We might not win another game or we might make a miracle run. We could win or lose any game. We are what we are, and that's close, but not quite there. My choice of opponents is Auburn, and I wouldn't want to play GA again. Or Alabama either, I think Curry is a good coach.

Not supposed to comment on appearance but Kim, what the very F??? Makeup by Elvira?

Of course Kellie could have finished second with a win today, but.... 🤮

How many All-Americans did Mulkey have among all these amazing seniors?
In reply, which coach adapted in the second half. And, which coach got her players buy in and commitment in the second half. Your girl got out coached today and had to hang on to beat a team they had by the throat and couldn't finish the job. LSU played 5 seniors and a sophomore. Enjoy the victory today but I don't think you want to come back when Striplin, Puckett, miles, et.al., are seniors

Last edited:
In reply, which coach adapted in the second half. And, which coach got her players buy in and commitment in the second half. Your girl got out coached today and had to hang on to beat a rebuilding team. LSU played 5 seniors and a sophomore. Enjoy the victory today but I don't think you want to come back when Striplin, Puckett, miles, et.al., are seniors
No doubt, lil Kim was hanging on for dear life at the end. KJH owned the 2nd half. 3rd qrts have often been good to us this year, speaks well for the coach.

But she's sure got to address the focus to begin the game. Obviously Kim had her team way more dialed in from the get go.

How many All-Americans did Mulkey have among all these amazing seniors?

All of them are when they play TN. (Blue Font)
I think only one is projected to be drafted.

As for my 2 cents. RB has talent but it seems like she isn't meshing with the team. It is like when she gets the ball she always wants to put the game on her shoulders to try to score instead of trusting her teammates but she doesn't have enough talent to do that IMO. I actually think JH is developing the talent to do that. I think the team will probably be better next year if they can get or develop someone to help Key in the paint. I assume the other players will improve and contribute more even though I don't see them as All Americans but they can be solid players.

Reactions: glv98
No doubt, lil Kim was hanging on for dear life at the end. KJH owned the 2nd half. 3rd qrts have often been good to us this year, speaks well for the coach.

But she's sure got to address the focus to begin the game. Obviously Kim had her team way more dialed in from the get go.
True. Part of that being dialed in at the beginning is the strength of the home team. After the visitor adjusts to the surroundings and noise the games always even out. Maturity is the only trait that can overcome that home team advantage in equally matched programs.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
At this point you can either play as they’re only freshman by name. They’ve played enough now and before they got her to compete at the level recruited for. Look at yesterday on the impact of freshman in big games as the freshman line is a fall back when things don’t work.
Replace strips minutes with green we win

One shot can win a game, but one shot does not lose a game.
But over the game we were 21 for 67 at 32%. LSU had less shots and still was able to win. We were 18% from 3, they were 25%. And we loss the free throw category too. We lost in each point category and yes one shot does not determine. We loss the game by not winning in any scoring categories, win one we win today.

Reactions: NeedOrange
Settle for a loss. I get it. Can’t rip on the players. Can’t hold the coach accountable. No problem let’s lose and not be upset. All good.
The logical extension of your "reasoning" is that if the LV's don't win a National Championship, the coach needs to be held accountable, ie. fired. And the players should all be given walking papers. Hire a new coach, get some new players and if next year that group doesn't win the NC, then fire that coach and those players and start again, ad infinitum. Is that what you want?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Settle for a loss. I get it. Can’t rip on the players. Can’t hold the coach accountable. No problem let’s lose and not be upset. All good.
How do you plan to hold the coach "accountable"? Some really sharply worded posts? Maybe even a meme! If you're a donor or if you go to games, you get a vote. Don't give and don't go. But if, like me, you're just a fan forum blowhard, our ability to hold jacksh*t accountable is nonexistent.

As far as being upset over losses, we all are or we wouldn't care enough to be here. It's just some of us don't take losses as a personal insult or outrage. We realize this is a team with alot of limitations but who are always scrappy and entertaining. And certainly heading the right direction as a program. If you want me to tear my hair out or maybe go burn a mattress, I'm going to fall short of your passion level.

How’s the game if Morris plays for LSU? Injuries are part of the game/season for everyone.
They are but the affect injuries have on a team vary greatly. When you're a team held together by duct tape and desire with little margin for error, they can be devastating. Especially like with Green's injury, where there simply is no next player up. Or Horston's which takes out your leading scorer, rebounder, and assister. Everyone deals with injuries, but all injuries losses to teams are not equal.

Ya know, I have to say that over the many years I've followed college athletics, I long ago came to the realization that the head coach has little to nothing to do with how teams come out to play in the first quarter once it becomes obvious the shots aren't falling.

I cannot imagine another head coach in country being any more insistent on stressing both mental and physical toughness in her players than Harper has. The team has proved time and time again that they are resilient and tough and will fight to the end.

Yet several times this season we've heard heartbroken Lady Vols, in post-game pressers, say "we have to learn to play harder in the first quarter." IMO, they are owning it -- and at this point, especially, they probably should.

Even so, these are NOT professionals. They are students and they are young women who have concerns and worries and pains and joys and sorrows and, well, lives outside of sport. Some people are perpetually, instantly ON. And others need time to find their strength in stressful situations. I have come to realize that which side of that fence a DI athlete lives is probably determined by the time they are awkwardly heaving up shots as 9-year-olds.

If our Lady Vols can somehow bow up and get past their own self-doubts early in games from here on out, they'll be good. But they need to find their "inner Neo" and when the first shred of doubt enters their minds in the first quarter, say, "No. This is NOT the way this is going. WE are winning this game, and it starts NOW. "

Last edited:
That’s right, but why all the hate? Who benefits from it? We had a bad day shooting. I’m sure no one feels worse about that than our players.
No hate. We’ve had bad game shooting today and in the big games. It’s not hate it’s a posted number on results. The reason for the numbers was stating had we won any category we win the game. It didn’t come down to one shot but accumulation of missed opportunities from the tip to final buzzer.

Reactions: Luna2012

VN Store

Back