Game Thread: (16/14) Lady Vols 54 - (8/8) LSU 57

The LVs played LSU like the team that was 18-1 and no. 4 in the nation. They lost because they did not have their best all around player. She would have made the difference. Kellie did a great job also. BTW, I am eating a crow sandwich.
Yes, even if she just provided a few more rebounds than we got, the LVs would have prevailed.

UGA reminds me of a worse version of us honestly, Bama beat us once already. I actually fear them the most, suppose Auburn did too but that was more flukey.
Would love a rematch with Bama or Auburn. We have some much needed payback to give!!! I would just set the beginning to the tourney right, and then we will have a chance to revenge the LSU loss. If all of this happens, I will be smiling no matter how much we lost to SC in the final.

At this point you can either play as they’re only freshman by name. They’ve played enough now and before they got her to compete at the level recruited for. Look at yesterday on the impact of freshman in big games as the freshman line is a fall back when things don’t work.

LSU relies on 3 fifth year seniors that have played together the entire time. No comparison even if you think our Freshmen aren't Freshmen anymore. The point is that LSU is as veteran as a team can be, and there is an extreme gap between Freshmen and fifth year seniors (or by your account, they are no longer really fifth year seniors anymore, I guess they are more like 6th year seniors)

I understand your frustration Darth you are ready for a team full of AA. We definitely without Horston struggle at guard position with players who make others better. Now Kim and lsu are fortunate with super seniors wish Davis would have stayed so it's hard to know who is doing a great job with so many Seniors who should have been gone. I believe Kellie with the overall injuries she has faced has done a great job coaching but if she had recruited few more players then our bench play would be better. Hopefully she is ear of Miss Jackson telling her with Key in paint and Horston creating you will face only one defender most of game. In CHRIST Alone
I don’t believe you understand that poster. He is not frustrated, he is jubilant when we lose, because he is not a Tennessee fan, he is a Vandy fan.

Looking at the SEC bracket, if we play Alabama or Auburn, it would be their 3rd game in three days, and the second game in 2 days, if Georgia. Whatever, having a bye to that point should be a good thing for Tennessee.

2022 SEC Tournament Bracket Announced (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

There are no easy wins, but no team scares me. Hope we have enough in the tank to keep playing great defense.

GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
Funny reading thoughts speculating upon recruits' possible reactions to game.

It seems likely that alpha players would be seeing a great comeback with the game going down to the wire and thinking, "I could be in there making the game-winning shot."

Recruits want playing time. Great recruits see opportunities to step into the lineup. Their confidence has them visualizing themselves being able to make the open shots & missed free throws and thus be able to earn time much sooner than if they would be buried on the bench. They see a team on the verge of breaking through into the top tier and themseves as being an impact player to make that happen.

Y’all treating Rae, like some ppl did Rennia. In wanting her gone so Rae could take over the team. Such a vicious cycle.
I NEVER wanted rennia gone and can’t remember anyone who did. I don’t know what to think about Rae. I have always loved her but she was just so bad yesterday I was ready to throw my shoe at the tv. Lol

LSU relies on 3 fifth year seniors that have played together the entire time. No comparison even if you think our Freshmen aren't Freshmen anymore. The point is that LSU is as veteran as a team can be, and there is an extreme gap between Freshmen and fifth year seniors (or by your account, they are no longer really fifth year seniors anymore, I guess they are more like 6th year seniors)
Biggest player in Knoxville is a 5’8 freshman with no offers this past summer. Nobody is making excuses for Zeigler.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Funny reading thoughts speculating upon recruits' possible reactions to game.

It seems likely that alpha players would be seeing a great comeback with the game going down to the wire and thinking, "I could be in there making the game-winning shot."

Recruits want playing time. Great recruits see opportunities to step into the lineup. Their confidence has them visualizing themselves being able to make the open shots & missed free throws and thus be able to earn time much sooner than if they would be buried on the bench. They see a team on the verge of breaking through into the top tier and themseves as being an impact player to make that happen.
Exactly. When Holly kept snagging elite recruits even while the bus was teetering on the cliff, we wondered how in the world? Concensus was the Savior Complex, I alone can fix it. Especially at a formerly elite program.

Also, does anyone think anything Rickea saw yesterday surprised her? Ya'll think its been a closely guarded secret from RJ that the current LVs play like this? If anything, it reinforced the importance of her buddy JH to the team next year. Reasonable to think the facilities and atmosphere of the weekend (remember, she's coming from Miss St) outweighed anything else she saw.

Rewatching some of the game it is supposed to be a technical foul for getting out of the coaching box and Mulkey was on the playing floor way to much in this game. She really acted like an uncontrolled maniac on the sideline and if Refs are not going to enforce the rules then why have any.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She has a decent handle could be better. She needs a lot of upper body strength and she might be able to do some of that. She hit a couple of mid-range shot today, so we'll see how her game develops as a sophomore. She has been here two season but was classified as a freshman this year due to covid and she only played 80 minutes in that first season.

I don`t disagree with you on her status classified as a freshman this year due to covid i`m with you 100% all i was just saying on that one play she had a wide open lane if she had put the ball on the floor. But then again that`s not her game, She is more of a spot up shooter.

How do you plan to hold the coach "accountable"? Some really sharply worded posts? Maybe even a meme! If you're a donor or if you go to games, you get a vote. Don't give and don't go. But if, like me, you're just a fan forum blowhard, our ability to hold jacksh*t accountable is nonexistent.

As far as being upset over losses, we all are or we wouldn't care enough to be here. It's just some of us don't take losses as a personal insult or outrage. We realize this is a team with alot of limitations but who are always scrappy and entertaining. And certainly heading the right direction as a program. If you want me to tear my hair out or maybe go burn a mattress, I'm going to fall short of your passion level.
If you want to accept unnecessary losses have at it. This team is better then LSU. Holly Jr can’t prepare this team to play and she was out coached.

Waited a while after the loss to post. Interesting game...basketball. Lady Vols seemed to lack a spark in the first half. B. Miles tried to lite a fire with her steal and layup to start the third quarter. But fires take patience and older players needed to blow on the flame but seemed winded.

B. Miles struck a match in the fourth quarter with her layup an and one. But couldn't make the free throw, which may have been the extra kindling needed. Tight at the end. I spoke irreverently to the tv once or twice. My diatribe dealt with higher math...geometry and such, backboards and angles, you know. In the end it wasn't to be. Maybe for the best. We will have to play LSU again, if we win our first game in the tournament. Currently, a big "If."

I thought Newby's play was the difference maker. Maybe pent-up feelings carried from her Vanderbilt days. Some of her antics should be extra fuel for a future fire.

Coach Mulkey is worth the price of admission. She must be Greek. They invented drama, you know.

If you want to accept unnecessary losses have at it. This team is better then LSU. Holly Jr can’t prepare this team to play and she was out coached.
My question was how does a fan go about "not accepting" or "holding accountable" in the real world? Other than not following the team anymore? Or not donating if you're the 1% who actually donates.

My point is this site is notorious for thinking it has more influence or relevance in what happens to the real world program than it actually has. Whether I "accept" bad losses or not means nada, less than zero to anyone who matters.

Who outcoached who in the second half? I missed Kim's coaching genius when her team completely fell apart and blew a big lead, with no clue how to beat our press? But for a missed bunny on our part, they probably lose. Outcoached? How so?

My question was how does a fan go about "not accepting" or "holding accountable" in the real world? Other than not following the team anymore? Or not donating if you're the 1% who actually donates.

My point is this site is notorious for thinking it has more influence or relevance in what happens to the real world program than it actually has. Whether I "accept" bad losses or not means nada, less than zero to anyone who matters.

Who outcoached who in the second half? I missed Kim's coaching genius when her team completely fell apart and blew a big lead, with no clue how to beat our press? But for a missed bunny on our part, they probably lose. Outcoached? How so?
Missed FTs came back to the us--10-17. That simple part of the game is vital. LVs must do better in this aspect of the game. But it did not have to come down to FTs because we had a terrible day of shooting (e.g., Rae was 4-18; Snoop was 5-15; and Puckett was 2-9). We missed numerous chip shots. If the the LVs can shoot 42% on a consistent basis, and with our rebounding, the LVs can beat any team in the country. GBO.

VN Store

Back