'24 GA TE Michael Smith (uscjr commit)

Joey Hazle and Alec Abeln visited with him and Jake Merklinger earlier this week, per VQ.

This is his 247 Eval:

EVALUATED 02/26/2023
9358680.jpeg

Andrew IvinsDIRECTOR OF SCOUTING

A pass-catching tight end that can create separation with his short-area quickness. Size hasn’t been verified, but looks to be somewhere in the ballpark of 6-foot-4, 235 pounds after an in-person evaluation. Excels in 50-50 situations as he can box-out defenders and put himself in position to make a play at the catch point. Has lined up primarily in the slot at the prep level, but also has some experience working in-line and has been deployed here and there as an upback. Above-average vision combined with natural core power helps him power through tacklers in the open field and pick up YAC. However, must continue to improve blocking technique and get better at the point of attack if he’s going to reach his full potential as a Y tight end. Should be viewed as one of the top talents in the Peach State for the 2024 cycle given what he has done the past two years: just over 1,200 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns while averaging close to 20 yards per reception. Needs to keep progressing and avoid setbacks, but has some of the tools required to emerge as a difference-maker at the Power Five level given how he runs routes (especially the shorts ones) and catches the football. Sunday potential.

I wonder why we haven't pushed more here. I mean, I hate that the young man has had to settle for uscjr at this point.

I don’t understand how Beamer is recruiting this good. This is nuts.
What you have to look at is the fact that they ended their season on a super high note, and the majority of their best players still hit the portal. Beamer can put the shine on during recruiting, but once in the program they realize it was fool's gold.

What you have to look at is the fact that they ended their season on a super high note, and the majority of their best players still hit the portal. Beamer can put the shine on during recruiting, but once in the program they realize it was fool's gold.
Shane Beamer is a dufus.

Last edited:
They also have a lot of immediate playing time because of that

They must have a heck of an NIL, or Beamer is proving some recruiting chops. He could be selling the kids the offense that looked like a machine against our awful defense and Clemson. It doesn't explain the elite defensive recruits though.

+ Beamer was known as a coach that players like. It was a major talking point when he was hired

Reactions: sjt18
I don't know how it goes for Beamer. But my take at the moment is that he's a more likeable version of Butch Jones. He can sell recruits. The problem is that he doesn't look like a consistently good coach.
In his only two seasons he has exceeded his Vegas win totals.. not a large sample set but the only one to work with right now.

In his only two seasons he has exceeded his Vegas win totals.. not a large sample set but the only one to work with right now.
Not going to draw that debate out too far since it really just comes down to our opinions about him. Unlike most here, I don't particularly dislike him. I can understand why his personality would be attractive to players. Never really understood how anyone could tolerate Jones but that's a different story.

Beamer's wins vs UT and Clemson were impressive. I think we all know that UT was pretty depleted on D but a win is a win and they ran away with it. Outside of those two games his other 11 FBS wins include only 2 winning teams- UK (7-5) in '22 when the Cats really didn't have a QB. ECU (7-5) in '21 by a 20-17 score.

I "like" him more than I respect his talent as a coach. He could easily prove me wrong. He's getting the players to help himself. But if you put Heupel and Beamer head to head coaching... I'm taking Heupel by a very wide margin.

Not going to draw that debate out too far since it really just comes down to our opinions about him. Unlike most here, I don't particularly dislike him. I can understand why his personality would be attractive to players. Never really understood how anyone could tolerate Jones but that's a different story.

Beamer's wins vs UT and Clemson were impressive. I think we all know that UT was pretty depleted on D but a win is a win and they ran away with it. Outside of those two games his other 11 FBS wins include only 2 winning teams- UK (7-5) in '22 when the Cats really didn't have a QB. ECU (7-5) in '21 by a 20-17 score.

I "like" him more than I respect his talent as a coach. He could easily prove me wrong. He's getting the players to help himself. But if you put Heupel and Beamer head to head coaching... I'm taking Heupel by a very wide margin.
Most likely correct, Huepel has a specialty. Beamer is just a guy everyone likes that got promoted from ST cord to HC. Long term will be interesting.

Reactions: sjt18
Beamer strikes me as the type of guy whose arrogant and a sore loser.
He's very defensive about anyone questioning anything he does and really tries to highlight any little success he has. I think everyone questioning his hire really got his panties twisted. He's a sensitive little guy.

Beamer strikes me as the type of guy whose arrogant and a sore loser.
Borne out in his first game against UT. TBF Brian Kelly did some of the same crap with LSU and Narduzzi with Pitt. You’re not ever supposed to be a “good loser”, but there’s a dignity expected in professionals. When Heupel’s on the losing end, you don’t see a spin job on how he actually won!

VN Store

Back