‘23 GA OT Bo Hughley (UGA commit)

Not really. WR’s need to be thrown to in order to be noticed for a high pick.

Ladd McConkey has 51 catches.

Ladd McConkey. With Stetson Bennett at QB.

This is a silly argument. Scouts are definitely not gonna miss a dude that plays for UGA.

Reactions: VolByLaw

This is a silly argument. Scouts are definitely not gonna miss a dude that plays for UGA.

Not saying “missing a dude.” But if you don’t think actually throwing (or not) to a WR affects a draft profile, then I don’t know what to say. As I stated in a post earlier, UT showcases the WR position much more, and the stats bear that out. Pretty simple concept.

UGA can maybe showcase one WR per year. But UT had 3 this year that will probably get drafted.

Pickens fell bc of character concerns. The talent was there.

You don't think having a combined 630 yards over his last 2 years had anything to do with where he was drafted?

Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon had more character concerns than Pickens coming out. Both were 1st round WRs. Production matters. It's why guys like Hyatt will go either round 1 or 2 despite having ZERO draft buzz 6 months ago.

Do you honestly Jalin Hyatt gets 1st or 2nd round consideration playing at UGA? Yes or no?

Scouts take notice of guys who are noticeable. You are more noticable when you are getting more opportunities with the ball in your hands. Those are just facts.

In fact, when reading the scouting reports of WRs, that's one of the first things they say. And it's often one of the biggest critiques they use when a player isn't very productive in college.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Not saying “missing a dude.” But if you don’t think actually throwing (or not) to a WR affects a draft profile, then I don’t know what to say. As I stated in a post earlier, UT showcases the WR position much more, and the stats bear that out. Pretty simple concept.

UGA can maybe showcase one WR per year. But UT had 3 this year that will probably get drafted.

Exactly.

Reactions: Volunteer821
You don't think having a combined 630 yards over his last 2 years had anything to do with where he was drafted?

Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon had more character concerns than Pickens coming out. Both were 1st round WRs. Production matters. It's why guys like Hyatt will go either round 1 or 2 despite having ZERO draft buzz 6 months ago.

He also had a torn ACL in college. He only played in 4 games his last year in college. You’re leaving out A LOT of info

Reactions: Nooga
Literally the first scouting report I pulled up Pickens:

George Pickens Wide Receiver Georgia | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

Notice under Flaws where it says:

"Hasn't ever really produced top-level numbers - he's only put up 1285 yds in three years in college"

If you don't think college production has any relevance to draft profile, you aren't paying attention.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Do you honestly Jalin Hyatt gets 1st or 2nd round consideration playing at UGA? Yes or no?

Scouts take notice of guys who are noticeable. You are more noticable when you are getting more opportunities with the ball in your hands. Those are just facts.

In fact, when reading the scouting reports of WRs, that's one of the first things they say. And it's often one of the biggest critiques they use when a player isn't very productive in college.

Of course I think UT was the best option for him.

You realize there can be more than 1 good option for a WR for college don’t you? Vols are top notch for getting WRs noticed and likely to the league for the foreseeable future. But dudes that go to UGA aren’t going to be missed by scouts. They just aren’t.

Of course I think UT was the best option for him.

You realize there can be more than 1 good option for a WR for college don’t you? Vols are top notch for getting WRs noticed and likely to the league for the foreseeable future. But dudes that go to UGA aren’t going to be missed by scouts. They just aren’t.

But they are. UGA literally has 4-5 star WRs coming out of their ass and has for nearly 20 years now. They rarely produce highly drafted WRs. That's not because they lack talent to get drafted high. It's because they don't do enough in college to get consideration.

Players rarely go 1st or 2nd round who have mediocre college stats. That's just a fact.

Reactions: drylo
Jameson Williams literally tore his ACL in January. He was drafted 12th overall.

Jameson Williams didn’t also have character concerns. That didn’t just go away. Jameson Williams and George Pickens are 2 different individuals.

And you were talking about production in college which is why I pointed out Pickens played in 4 games his last year in college, 8 games his soph year (due to injuries). Those things can lead to lower production. That’s missing an entire season’s worth of games over 2 years.

But they are. UGA literally has 4-5 star WRs coming out of their ass and has for nearly 20 years now. They rarely produce highly drafted WRs. That's not because they lack talent to get drafted high. It's because they don't do enough in college to get consideration.

Players rarely go 1st or 2nd round who have mediocre college stats. That's just a fact.

Why does it matter what WRs did at UGA for 20 years?

20 years ago they weren’t playing for national championships every year. Their offense has been vanilla, yes. But they used to not average nearly 40 ppg. Used to not pass for the 3rd most yards in the SEC. Their offense is evolving.

UT is an unbelievable option for a WR. I would say we develop better for sure at the position. Doesn’t mean UGA is a bad option. Or that a WR going there would hurt their draft stock.

Jameson Williams didn’t also have character concerns. That didn’t just go away. Jameson Williams and George Pickens are 2 different individuals.

And you were talking about production in college which is why I pointed out Pickens played in 4 games his last year in college, 8 games his soph year (due to injuries). Those things can lead to lower production. That’s missing an entire season’s worth of games over 2 years.

Maybe Pickens was a mediocre example, but the statement still stands. Our system actually helps fringe pro players who may not be on a team’s radar. Those players can thrive in our offense. It’s really not difficult to see how college production helps. It’s why WR’s will get more run and noticed in our offense. If Hyatt had torn his ACL and missed a majority of his final season, he wouldn’t get drafted.

Reactions: MarcoVol

And teams aren't drafting any WR in the first round who has 630 yards over his last 2 seasons. Even when he was healthy, he wasn't super productive outside of his 1st season.

Maybe Pickens was a mediocre example, but the statement still stands. Our system actually helps fringe pro players who may not be on a team’s radar. Those players can thrive in our offense. It’s really not difficult to see how college production helps. It’s why WR’s will get more run and noticed in our offense. If Hyatt had torn his ACL and missed a majority of his final season, he wouldn’t get drafted.

No doubt and I think it’s easy to show that we develop better at the position. Just not sold on UGA not being a good option for a WR. Scouts are gonna see them a ton at UGA

And teams aren't drafting any WR in the first round who has 630 yards over his last 2 seasons. Even when he was healthy, he wasn't super productive outside of his 1st season.

Such a broad statement. His last 2 seasons consisted of 12 games total. So 630 yards over 12 games.

Henry Ruggs went in the 1st with 740 yards in last 12 games.

Jalon Reagor went in 1st and had 611 yards over last 12 games.

2/4 pages arguing about Georgia wide receivers on an offensive tackle recruit's thread.

Well done guys.

(Edit: Nb4 someone says "that's 1/2 for the mathematically inclined," you know what I'm saying.)

Haha you’re right, I’m out and I apologize for being a willing participant.

Reactions: SoilVol

Georgias offense is Bama’s 10 years ago when they had Greg McElroy, John Parker Wilson, Jacob Coker, and Blake Sims as QB’s. They could win the National Title with game manager QB’s who had ZERO chance to play in the NFL. There was so much talent around them on offense and defense. Stetson Bennett will be working for Allstate or Enterprise next year

Why does it matter what WRs did at UGA for 20 years?

20 years ago they weren’t playing for national championships every year. Their offense has been vanilla, yes. But they used to not average nearly 40 ppg. Used to not pass for the 3rd most yards in the SEC. Their offense is evolving.

UT is an unbelievable option for a WR. I would say we develop better for sure at the position. Doesn’t mean UGA is a bad option. Or that a WR going there would hurt their draft stock.

Their offense isn't evolving. It's the same as it was when From and Eason and Murray were there.

The amount of elite WRs committing to UGA is not commensurate to how many they are putting in the NFL, which is the point. Certainly far less than other elite programs right now.

LSU, Clemson, OSU, Bama, and even OU have been their contemporaries from a recruiting standpoint over the last several years. All of those schools consistently translate their elite WR talent into early round draft picks at a high rate. UGA quite clearly does not.

Not all of those players are great NFL WRs either. But they all get drafted high because they are elite talents AND the my have the college production to back it up.

Last edited:
Such a broad statement. His last 2 seasons consisted of 12 games total. So 630 yards over 12 games.

Henry Ruggs went in the 1st with 740 yards in last 12 games.

Jalon Reagor went in 1st and had 611 yards over last 12 games.

2 separate seasons =/= 1 full season. Get real.

I don’t know this to be true, but was told that Kirby isn’t well thought of by some high school coaches in TN. Something about he is a bull$hitter.
Would be difficult to verify and could be just some disgruntled parents.

He bullsh!tted the top RB last yr

VN Store

Back