'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

With two 5* OT committed, Bama no longer makes sense. He could choose UGA, but they signed two highly ranked OT last year, and have another committed in this class. We signed no OT last year. If he comes here, he'd be the highest rated OT in our class. For playing purposes, we absolutely make the most sense.

If he was willing to go to Bama, it would seem staying close to home isn't the deciding factor. Anyone know what his academic interests are?

take the best players and find a spot for them.

They’ve already got 2 book in tackles who’s to say Mims isn’t a AA guard? Training at multiple spots never hurt anyone. Saban would be crazy to tell Mims No.

It's not about Saban saying no, it's about Mims deciding what's best for him. He could go to Bama, but there's no guarantee he's a OT there. He'd risk getting moved to Guard. I'd think he'd rather play OT because when it comes to the NFL, LT is where the money is. Plus, Bama is expected to get Ferguson at OG.

Reactions: johnfnkelly

They’ve already got 2 book in tackles who’s to say Mims isn’t a AA guard? Training at multiple spots never hurt anyone. Saban would be crazy to tell Mims No.
Mims is a 6’7 prototypical tackle. He’s not going somewhere where he’s forced to play guard for 3 years.

Reactions: bigdan
It's not about Saban saying no, it's about Mims deciding what's best for him. He could go to Bama, but there's no guarantee he's a OT there. He'd risk getting moved to Guard. I'd think he'd rather play OT because when it comes to the NFL, LT is where the money is. Plus, Bama is expected to get Ferguson at OG.
He’d be a RT anyway imo. And Quentin Nelson chief among others has made investing in elite interior OL the way to go.

Bama isn't turning him down. He just won't go there. Why would he? Tackles are infinitely more valuable, and are drafted higher and command higher salaries. Mims is a prototypical tackle. He isn't going to sacrifice potentially millions of dollars in his future just to go to Bama to play guard.

Respectfully disagree. His pass blocking is very unrefined right now but that can be said of many high schoolers. He has good enough enough feet and the hope is he’ll develop into a blindside tackle.
Mutually respectfully disagree. Feet’s good enough for the strong side...not on the blind. Darnell Wright’s drop is waves better and we keep trying to turn him into an OG.

Bama isn't turning him down. He just won't go there. Why would he? Tackles are infinitely more valuable, and are drafted higher and command higher salaries. Mims is a prototypical tackle. He isn't going to sacrifice potentially millions of dollars in his future just to go to Bama to play guard.

He’s not sacrificing anything being trained at two positions. If Pruitt does it you know Saban does

He’s not sacrificing anything being trained at two positions. If Pruitt does it you know Saban does
That's not the point. He's sacrificing the opportunity to be featured as a premier tackle if he's playing primarily at guard for Bama. Look at the numbers...I think 4 guards and 19 tackles have been 1st rd picks in the last 5 years. Mims can go cross-train at any other university and still be a feature tackle. He'd have to really love Bama to take that risk on a business decision.

He’s not forced but I doubt he’s afraid of competition. If he’s the prototype tackle then why wouldn’t he be a T and one of the others be at G?
Because he has other really good options that don't involve competing with 2-3 other All-American OTs in his same class.

In not saying he won't ultimately choose to go to Bama, but he has better choices if he wants a clearer path to playing time. No real sense in choosing the crowded path unless he just really loves Bama.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Mutually respectfully disagree. Feet’s good enough for the strong side...not on the blind. Darnell Wright’s drop is waves better and we keep trying to turn him into an OG.
Darnell has been in a college program. Mims hasn’t. It’s rare high school tackles have a pretty kick slide. I expect they’ll give him every chance to start on the left, but time will tell.

Darnell has been in a college program. Mims hasn’t. It’s rare high school tackles have a pretty kick slide. I expect they’ll give him every chance to start on the left, but time will tell.
I’m basing it on Darnell during the season...before he could’ve “has been in a college program”. I’ll go with your time will tell angle instead of disagreeing further. Land him first and sort out the minutiae later.

Reactions: memtownvol
I’m basing it on Darnell during the season...before he could’ve “has been in a college program”. I’ll go with your time will tell angle instead of disagreeing further. Land him first and sort out the minutiae later.
Darnell also carries some baby fat and doesn't have the more lanky build of Mims. Either way, not to BGS this too hard, but we're not gonna have to worry about it. Will Friend needs a recruiting win, to put it nicely, but I doubt most here are ready for that conversation. Go Vols.

VN Store

Back