'19 GA DB Kenyatta Watson II

As a compromise if, if we need to put the blame for all of our problems on one person, I am willing to submit that the main culprit in the mismanagement of our program can be laid on Hamilton.

I still lay much on Fulmer. He failed to dominate coming out of a very successful era and the East was in shambles. He should have seized the moment.

Fulmer was fired primarily due to a horrible hire for OC in his last year, Dave Clawson.

A better OC and he would have been able to finish the year and continue coaching and leave on his own terms. He deserved better.
Much, much better. They way they fired him was disgraceful. I thought it was time to move on, but how Hamilton fired him in the middle of the season was despicable.

I still lay much on Fulmer. He failed to dominate coming out of a very successful era and the East was in shambles. He should have seized the moment.
I don't disagree. I remember fluff story in the Nashville paper right after the NC game. Vicki said that she told her husband that he might as well retire now because he will never be able to beat the accomplishment that he already had. It really did seem that he started approaching his job with that attitude at that point. it was amazing to me that he seem to be unaware that there was any kind of unease among the fan base about how poorly things were going. He had already accomplished and unbeaten season which had never been done in the history of the program and I think he was just willing to live off the riches that he achieved from that one season for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Fulmer was fired primarily due to a horrible hire for OC in his last year, Dave Clawson.

A better OC and he would have been able to finish the year and continue coaching and leave on his own terms. He deserved better.

Fulmer's demise was not due to an OC coach in his last year. We won the championship and did not maintain the program at the level he should have. Plus there were some bowl game losses in which Tennessee was favored.

I blame Hamilton, big picture.

But yeah, once Spurrier quit, they was a giant door open.

Never walked thru it. Saban at LSU, richt at UGA filled the void.

And it only got worse with Meyer at uf.

But 02-06, there was a big opportunity. We failed.

I believe Fulmer coasted on the glory of 98-99 through the early 2000’s. He has some of the most talented teams to ever walk through those doors during those years and consistently underachieved. No way that 2001 team shouldn’t have played for a national title. I don’t like how he was fired and wish it was done different but I have no doubt that it was time. The real failure of the past 10 years have been the lack of real VFLs in the upper administration and BOT. People who don’t really care about giving their all. That’s why the hires have been so bad IMO...
I blame the 2001 failure on Chavis

It was pretty far gone by then. A brilliant hire might have saved him but he didn't really have the players for a guy to come right in and do great. Clawson... had no trouble getting another job. Fulmer wasn't a hot commodity. That should tell you something. Clawson's progress with the Wake Forest O demonstrates that he has the ability if given time.

You could also go back and look at UT's offensive output especially scoring when Fulmer had Cut and when they didn't. Including the 11 game schedule seasons early on, UT scored over 400 points in 6 of Cut's 8 years as OC. In Fulmer's other years primarily with Sanders UT scored 400 exactly once(2001 when UT played in the SEC CG and a bowl). Never more and that's without considering the addition of the 12th regular season game in 2002.

Simply stated... Clawson wasn't the main problem.

Reactions: PA Vol
Hearing mixed things on Watson now. Still have hope in the story I’ve heard with his behind the scenes VQ interview at Grayson, but that seems like it may indeed have been a “just in case I flip let’s get a group pic” thing. Signing in a few weeks and I don’t think we have his family on board enough to move him.

Hearing mixed things on Watson now. Still have hope in the story I’ve heard with his behind the scenes VQ interview at Grayson, but that seems like it may indeed have been a “just in case I flip let’s get a group pic” thing. Signing in a few weeks and I don’t think we have his family on board enough to move him.
Makes sense. Seems solid to Texas

It was pretty far gone by then. A brilliant hire might have saved him but he didn't really have the players for a guy to come right in and do great. Clawson... had no trouble getting another job. Fulmer wasn't a hot commodity. That should tell you something. Clawson's progress with the Wake Forest O demonstrates that he has the ability if given time.

You could also go back and look at UT's offensive output especially scoring when Fulmer had Cut and when they didn't. Including the 11 game schedule seasons early on, UT scored over 400 points in 6 of Cut's 8 years as OC. In Fulmer's other years primarily with Sanders UT scored 400 exactly once(2001 when UT played in the SEC CG and a bowl). Never more and that's without considering the addition of the 12th regular season game in 2002.

Simply stated... Clawson wasn't the main problem.

Recruiting was tailing off to an unacceptable point as well. We were settling for middling SEC classes by the time Fulmer left. Chief didn’t recruit, ever, Fulmer got lazy, and the product was sour. It was time. The hires after Kiffin were what did us in and make people reflect favorably on Fulmer today and let them forget about how far he had fallen.

@BamSeydu I would recommend either ignoring this thread or getting some thick skin quick, because the insider carnivores are smelling blood from the slight crawfish in your last comment and they will come in droves to feed on their own.

@BamSeydu I would recommend either ignoring this thread or getting some thick skin quick, because the insider carnivores are smelling blood from the slight crawfish in your last comment and they will come in droves to feed on their own.

I’ve put them on ignore so I can’t even see their nonsense. Anyone who expects recruiting this time of year to be an exact science is fooling themselves.

I just don’t think he wants to play here. His fam likes Knoxville a lot.

Recruiting was tailing off to an unacceptable point as well. We were settling for middling SEC classes by the time Fulmer left. Chief didn’t recruit, ever, Fulmer got lazy, and the product was sour. It was time. The hires after Kiffin were what did us in and make people reflect favorably on Fulmer today and let them forget about how far he had fallen.

IIRC, CPF recruited just eighteen players in his last class, and they were not blue chips. That was before the Clawson debacle. The program was on a Nantucket sleigh ride, with boo birds out and death threats to the QB. Bad times.

IIRC, CPF recruited just eighteen players in his last class, and they were not blue chips. That was before the Clawson debacle. The program was on a Nantucket sleigh ride, with boo birds out and death threats to the QB. Bad times.
I remember following the class on rivals and it was something like 2 4 star players and 14 3 stars or less. Gerald Williams was the crown jewel of the class at the time, and he was not rated particularly highly at all.

Reactions: StoVol

VN Store

Back