'19 GA DB Kenyatta Watson II

It wasn't just one things but it did seem to start following the NC but more specifically with the departure, return, and departure of Cutcliffe. With Cut, Fulmer's teams and especially the O seemed to have discipline that was lacking no matter who replaced him.

Fulmer did get complacent. He also let personal loyalty to some of his underperforming assistants get in the way of program success.

All of us who lived through that mess remember the constant barrage of embarrassing off the field issues with players.
I agree with the complacency description. Also I believe the game schemes were changing with younger coaches and the game started to pass Fulmer by.

No he didn't deserve better. He made the OC hire, all on him.

Yup all on him. He should have been allowed to finish out the season at least. I feel like he should have given another year to turn things around. Mike Hamilton, AD jumped the gun there.

Look at the past 10 years of Tennessee football.

It needed two years to put in that Clausen offense which has been very successful at other places. Phil had a great class including Boyd coming in who would've done great in that O. I do feel he had got lazy but he and Clausen needed another year. However, him taking control from his OC with an offense he knew nothing about didn't help. He should've hired someone else. Still, should've been given a year or two more.

Yup all on him. He should have been allowed to finish out the season at least. I feel like he should have given another year to turn things around. Mike Hamilton, AD jumped the gun there.

Hamilton was a puppet and did what the puppet master told him imo

Reactions: SweetasSoda

What happened the last 10 years is irrelevant to whether it was time for him to go or not.

It wasn't just one things but it did seem to start following the NC but more specifically with the departure, return, and departure of Cutcliffe. With Cut, Fulmer's teams and especially the O seemed to have discipline that was lacking no matter who replaced him.

Fulmer did get complacent. He also let personal loyalty to some of his underperforming assistants get in the way of program success.

All of us who lived through that mess remember the constant barrage of embarrassing off the field issues with players.
And I think that Ainge's problems with drugs is as good as evidence of the loss of control of the program as any.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Fulmer was fired primarily due to a horrible hire for OC in his last year, Dave Clawson.

A better OC and he would have been able to finish the year and continue coaching and leave on his own terms. He deserved better.
Makes you wonder what kind of advice he's giving Pruitt.

No it doesn't.
Let me rephrase...makes me wonder what advice Fulmer is giving Pruitt about this critical offensive coordinator hire considering it was rumored that he was forced to go in a direction on offense he did not like, and it only made things worse. You are not required to wonder if you're not inclined to do so.

I get bye my own car too.

What I can afford vs what I want are usually two different things.

I promise you there were OCs succeeding that we could afford that he did not choose.

In your example, you bought a car that failed to take you to work. It wasn't failure from lack of attainable choices, it was failure via the wrong choice.

Reactions: onevol74
I believe Fulmer coasted on the glory of 98-99 through the early 2000’s. He has some of the most talented teams to ever walk through those doors during those years and consistently underachieved. No way that 2001 team shouldn’t have played for a national title. I don’t like how he was fired and wish it was done different but I have no doubt that it was time. The real failure of the past 10 years have been the lack of real VFLs in the upper administration and BOT. People who don’t really care about giving their all. That’s why the hires have been so bad IMO...

I promise you there were OCs succeeding that we could afford that he did not choose.

In your example, you bought a car that failed to take you to work. It wasn't failure from lack of attainable choices, it was failure via the wrong choice.
Either way, being on a budget limits things.

I'm not saying he should have hired clawson.

But It very well could have eliminated several other top choices.

Reactions: timmessee

VN Store

Back