'17 GA ATH DeAngelo Gibbs

CN6c0wFVAAAgFYM.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
five-star junior defensive back deangelo gibbs of peachtree ridge high school in suwanee, ga., told 247sports' keith niebuhr on wednesday night that he's planning to visit tennessee on saturday for its home opener against no. 19 oklahoma.

Reactions: 16 people
Per Hubbs

Getting Gibbs and Dixon on campus once again should do nothing but continue to help Tennessee out with both of those prospects as the Vols have really made strong impressions on them recently.

Reactions: 4 people
"They game was crazy. I loved the game. It was my first time ever seeing the stadium with the checkerboard," Gibbs explained. The atmosphere itself is just crazy. The fans were going crazy every second of the game. It was just a great atmosphere."

"It was fun. When you watch as a high school team you're just in there watching film," Gibbs explained. "But, doing it with coach Jancek he was breaking it down detail by detail. He knows everything about what's going on. He knew what the offense was going to run but the defense just didn't execute on certain plays. I really believe that if they executed on those certain plays it really wouldn't even have been close. But, Oklahoma had a good quarterback. He was getting out of the pocket and scrambling. "But, like coach Jancek said, if you just stick to the main things, the simple things, the intangibles, it would work. That's what he was trying to explain to me. It was really fun."

The Orange Carpet Day especially sticks out to Gibbs as a fun and memorable trip. "That was amazing because when we first walked into Orange Carpet it was a dark room and I thought I went the wrong way and was in the wrong room," Gibbs said laughing. "Then, the lights came on and a DJ was there, it was cool. "That was actually the longest I've stayed on any campus. I was there for like 12 hours. That's the longest I've stayed on any campus."

"I honestly like Tennessee like I like everyone else. It's kind of hard to say where they stand with me because I don't have a top five or top 10, "Gibbs said. "But, Tennessee is going to always be in my book because it's a great school with great potential and I like them a lot.

"I like the atmosphere of the game and every time I go it's a new experience. Also, I know a lot of guys on the team and have a lot of connections up there. I know some of the students that go there, too. Plus, it's not that far down the road, either."

-VQ

Reactions: 16 people
“That was a great game[.] (I liked) the whole environment, the checkerboard stadium and just being a good game itself, going into overtime. It was a hard-fought battle. The game was real good. Compared to last year, the only thing really different was they just checkerboarded the stadium. The atmosphere was the same. I got to talk to Coach (Butch) Jones both times. It was pretty cool.”

“That was real cool,” he said. “I mean, you knew they were a great fan base right off, but in that experience, it was crazy. The fans did that. There weren’t any shirts already prearranged for the fans or anything. They had put it together themselves, so I thought that was pretty cool to see. The stadium was loud. It was crazy loud. It was a great game.”

I mean, it was a hard-fought battle,” he said. “I went in again the next morning and watched film with (Tennessee defensive coordinator John) Jancek, and they played hard. But when (defensive end/linebacker Curt) Maggitt got hurt, they were missing a couple key assignments and a little leadership on the field. I figured if he’d have still been on the field, they would have pulled it out. But, at the end of the day, it was hard-fought game. You can’t do nothing about it now but just look forward to the next game.”

“That was probably one of the longest visits I’ve ever been on,” Gibbs said. “They showed me a lot of love. I was up there, like, almost all day, talking with the coaches, hanging with players. It was real cool.”

“I like Tennessee,” he said. “(I like) the crowd at the games, the atmosphere, hanging with the coaches, hanging with the players. They give me advice, which I kind of like. I ask the players how they’re treated up there and things of that nature, and they really like it.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 9 people
“It was a great atmosphere even though they took the loss,” Gibbs told InsideTennessee. “They fought hard. They just let it slip out their hands. (Curt) Maggitt got hurt. They were going hard the whole game, they just weren’t executing and taking advantage of what they had. They missed a field goal. In my opinion, I think they should have went for that fourth-and-one.

“Completely wide open. I don’t have any top 5, top 10 or anything,” said Gibbs, who also came to Knoxville for Orange Carpet Day in July, the Orange & White game in April, a junior day in March and the Missouri game last November.

On Friday, Gibbs caught a 26-yard touchdown pass in Peachtree Ridge's 35-7 win over Mountain View. He also returned a fumble to paydirt from 22 yards out. The Lions are now 3-2.

Scout

Reactions: 2 people
“tennessee, they played outstanding,” said gibbs, who’s ranked the nation’s no. 4 overall prospect in the 247sports composite for the 2017 class. “they played the best that they’ve played this year. Georgia had a few key players hurt, but tennessee executed on the things that georgia didn’t do right. That game was just amazing. The atmosphere was great. The fans were going crazy, so it was just a great place and a great time.”

“i mean, all big games, they kind of shoot themselves in the foot. But they finally pulled this one out,” gibbs said. “it’s always good to see a good game and see them win a big game. It was pretty cool for them to win a big one.”

“i chilled with a lot of players,” gibbs said. “i met more players on the team, and i hung out and talked to all the coaches. It was just real cool. I hang out with todd (kelly jr.), cam (sutton), justin martin — a lot of guys, a lot of the dbs — some receivers, like preston (williams), and other players like cortez (mcdowell), quart’e sapp, alvin (kamara). I hang out with a lot of players.”

“tennessee’s a great school,” he said. “every time i go up there, i enjoy myself. I’ve already been thinking it’s a good school so far. We’ll just see how things go down the road. My uncle went there, so that’s something that stands out about it,” gibbs said. “but it doesn’t matter to me in my recruitment. Usually, i liked to go up to tennessee when i was younger. He used to take us up to tennessee, and i kind of got adapted to it when i went up there. I like it.”

Reactions: 11 people
Deangelo Gibbs has two more visits on his agenda this fall and both will be to SEC programs.

The five-star cornerback from Suwanee, Ga., confirmed to SEC Country on Thursday that he’ll likely conclude his fall itinerary with unofficial visits to Ole Miss (Nov. 21) and Florida (Nov. 28) over the next two weekends. He will be accompanied by teammate and four-star linebacker Breon Dixon.

Gibbs, the top-rated cornerback in 2017, told SEC Country the offers continue to come in on a weekly basis, forcing him in turn to reevaluate his recruitment. His upcoming visits will likely give him a better sense of where each program stands, but Gibbs said his recruitment hasn’t been easy.

“I’m wide open, as you know,” Gibbs told SEC Country. “When I say it’s hard, it really is. I pick up a new offer almost every week. It’s like every time you get a new video game.”

VN Store

Back