'17 GA ATH DeAngelo Gibbs

Getting an 85 spot is very beneficial and it's why Saban has been doing it for years. Tough to push a kid to transfer when he has no knees. He might say no thanks. Then offering a scholarship is a diffetent route, since they can't just cut the kid.

But again, even getting a past IC spot back would do you no good with the annual signing limit as it is now. And no bylaws support this. And our class limit hasn't gone up to 26, 27. And no site mod has stated as such. And teams aren't out signing 30 a year because of this. I've seen many articles on how oversigning has occurred, not one ever stated medical retirements as a reason.

It simply isn't true.
Yea I think you are wrong but I am done arguing.

Just so everyone is clear, I am not 100% confident my logic is correct. What I am confident on is that both @LA Vol and @Devo182 are wrong.

I don’t know why I try to argue with people about numbers. So much bad information being posted. Happens every year.

So @LA Vol you have spoken to the UT compliance attorney about our numbers situation? Could provide some further detail on how medical retirements only impact the 85 man limit? What benefit does the school receive to continue funding their scholarship? The school could just pull their scholarship and get their counter toward the 85 back.

Can't "pull" a scholarship for no reason (kid can't play). Now there's bad information!

Just so everyone is clear, I am not 100% confident my logic is correct. What I am confident on is that both @LA Vol and @Devo182 are wrong.

I've read the bylaws. LAVol was citing a compliance officer. You are simply making an argument based on what you perceive the benefits to be for the university lol. No basis in facts, bylaws, or authoritative support. You even doubt your own position because you can't find any support in reality for it.

Seems you don't even acknowledge the signing limit (as opposed to IC limit). You can easily read the signee limit exception bylaw and see incapicitating injury or illness only allows to get a signing spot back if the kid hasn't done anything with the team yet.

I've read the bylaws. LAVol was citing a compliance officer. You are simply making an argument based on what you perceive the benefits to be for the university lol. No basis in facts, bylaws, or authoritative support. You even doubt your own position because you can't find any support in reality for it.
I’ve read them as well. That’s how I know you are full of sh*t.

Reactions: FïreBall
I’ve read them as well. That’s how I know you are full of sh*t.

Aha. So then post away with your proof lol. Seems you know you are wrong, it's fine. Just give up. No shame.

You've already proven your ignorance by posting something under 15.5.1 in response to an initial counter question lol. The HEADER for 15.5.1 is Counters, not Initial Counters - 15.5.6.3. Proving yourself to be full of it.

Last edited:
Can't "pull" a scholarship for no reason (kid can't play). Now there's bad information!

Football scholarships are issued on an annual basis. Some schools have talked about issuing 4 year scholarships to get a leg up for recruiting purposes, but not sure if any have actually done it. However, It would be a bad PR move (negative recruiting) to NOT renew a player's scholarship if they are in good academic standing and have not had any off-field issues.

Reactions: VOLuptuousBOOMS
A medical exemption (medical retirement) is a way for a program to continue financial aid for the remainder of an injured player’s eligibility without it counting toward the 85 scholarship limit. It allows a program to pay for the education of a player with a career-ending injury while freeing up an athletic scholarship for another player.

Reactions: Devo182

You're not sure you're right but you're sure others are wrong? So you don't use logic or facts as a basis for your opinions?

Football scholarships are issued on an annual basis. Some schools have talked about issuing 4 year scholarships to get a leg up for recruiting purposes, but not sure if any have actually done it. However, It would be a bad PR move (negative recruiting) to NOT renew a player's scholarship if they are in good academic standing and have not had any off-field issues.

The pac and B1G did start it in 2014 iirc, but more importantly, back in 2015 the autonomous conferences (p5) passed a rule for guaranteed multiyear scholarships. This means non-renewal can't be based on athletic performance, i.e. "pulling a scholarship". Can only non-renew for a limited set of issues.

Autonomy schools adopt cost of attendance scholarships

The 4 things to know about the new NCAA

Bylaw 15.3.5.1

Last edited:

VN Store

Back