'21 GA ATH Christian Charles (Tennessee signee)

I don't know what your point is. Nobody is saying we shouldn't take this kid. Hell, nobody is saying we shouldn't take more of these kids.

What we are saying is if we take more of these kids than we do the higher rated recruits, we will not consistently be competitive, much less beat, the UGA and Bama's. This kid may very well be a blue chip athlete but he isn't currently rated one, so he is a higher risk than a current 4-5 star rated recruit. No one is also saying that 2-3 stars can't be superstars, and 4-5 stars can't be busts....but the elite teams stack the elite talent because there is going to be a higher reward as a whole.

Right now our signing classes tend to come out with a few 5-stars, 10-15 4-stars, and then a bunch of 3 stars. That won't get it done against the elite teams. I know this, because it hasn't.

We need majority blue chip rated athletes to consistently beat blue chip programs. It's that simple.
Did you READ my post that you just quoted? Not advocating a core of 3 star player...and I stated that. Odd that you’d come on this kid’s thread with all that jive if you’re ok with his commit...much less more like him.

ok - then it sounds like this is the kind of recruit we need to compete with Bama and UGA...because, you know, Cam Sutton, Jordan Jefferson, and Josh Jacobs. I'm sure we will see results translated on to the field. Right?

I don't understand why we keep telling ourselves every low rated recruit is the next Cam Sutton, etc.. Even if he is, unless we hit 100% on every low rated recruit I don't see how anything changes.

Not knocking this kid at all by the way...I sincerely hope he forces crow down my throat.
You absolutely are knocking him. But, that's ok. Most players like it when they are underestimated. I'm not saying he's going to kill it here, but I bet he is hungry to prove a lot of people wrong.

Nobody is saying he is the next Cam. They are saying the kid has elite athleticism that could possibly develop into a kid that can play like those guys. I also don’t know why every unranked or three star Tennessee get a bunch of back in my day JV superstars come out saying that recruit isn’t closing any gap with Georgia bc the 247 site or Rivals ranking metrics say so. If some people are that readily wanting to be told what to think by others then I should quit the military and bring back door sales by selling a 5* Hoe “Cuz a 3* won’t cut it”
No guarantees anyone is going to pan out. Take a good athlete and find the best spot for him. I bet he's also a football player and not just an athlete trying to find his way.

I am making the point that relying on 3-stars won't get it done. I don't know how many times I can say it, exceptions to the rule exist and help out on a team of highly rated recruits. Of course.

But they are exceptions to the rule. 5 is better than 4 is better than 3 is better than 2. A team with more 4 and 5 stars wins more often than a team of 3 and 4 and they win more than a team of 2 and 3 and etc...etc...

In order to beat Bama and UGA on a consistent basis and not rely on miracles, this is not the type of recruit we need to be landing. And that is NOT saying this kid won't be a superstar. It is just likely that he won't.
What evidence is there that Coach Pruitt is relying on three stars? I see none. Not all three stars are created equal. Pruitt has proven to be able to identify talent before they blow up. Not saying Christian will, though most of us really hope he does. Coach Pruitt does target and get four and five star players too. We need a few more, but we are getting closer.

I don't know what your point is. Nobody is saying we shouldn't take this kid. Hell, nobody is saying we shouldn't take more of these kids.

What we are saying is if we take more of these kids than we do the higher rated recruits, we will not consistently be competitive, much less beat, the UGA and Bama's. This kid may very well be a blue chip athlete but he isn't currently rated one, so he is a higher risk than a current 4-5 star rated recruit. No one is also saying that 2-3 stars can't be superstars, and 4-5 stars can't be busts....but the elite teams stack the elite talent because there is going to be a higher reward as a whole.

Right now our signing classes tend to come out with a few 5-stars, 10-15 4-stars, and then a bunch of 3 stars. That won't get it done against the elite teams. I know this, because it hasn't.

We need majority blue chip rated athletes to consistently beat blue chip programs. It's that simple.
If you think we should have taken him why are you in his thread bemoaning how we need more four and five stars to compete with Bama and Georgia?

Reactions: barrylee
If you think we should have taken him why are you in his thread bemoaning how we need more four and five stars to compete with Bama and Georgia?

This is answered along with all the other posts you quoted if you go back and read it.

Simply put - lower rated players as a whole won't get it done against the elite teams. It's mind-boggling people are arguing this.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Did you READ my post that you just quoted? Not advocating a core of 3 star player...and I stated that. Odd that you’d come on this kid’s thread with all that jive if you’re ok with his commit...much less more like him.

The issue here is I sated kids like this won't get it done. Then it went off the rails about how 3-stars pan out and there are 5-star busts.

We seem to agree that a core of 3-stars won't get it done. This kid isn't even a 3-star, that is why this thread. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with this kid or that he is guaranteed to be bad, but, we can't expect a bunch of these kids to get it done. Everytime we land one of these recruits the excuses and comparisons to every other low rated kid that killed it as proof this one really shouldn't be lowly rated. Meanwhile the elite teams are just stacking star after star...because they know. More often than not, they will work out and be contributors.

I don't know how else to say it. The talent difference between us and the elite teams is big, and recruits like these won't close that gap. I would have thought that would be common sense at this point, driven home by the results this last Saturday. But I guess it isn't.

I genuinely hope nothing but the best from this kid and I hope he is really a 5-star player. I really really mean that. I would love to be wrong here.

This is answered along with all the other posts you quoted if you go back and read it.

Simply put - lower rated players as a whole won't get it done against the elite teams. It's mind-boggling people are arguing this.
I don't think we are arguing it. I just think this player's thread is not the best place to debate it.

You absolutely are knocking him. But, that's ok. Most players like it when they are underestimated. I'm not saying he's going to kill it here, but I bet he is hungry to prove a lot of people wrong.

No, I'm not.

And folks this is why we won't complete annually with the uga, uf, and ala. They mostly sign guys ready to contribute immediately or 1 year from being ready. Hats off to the staff for finding another project!!!

I’ll give a like to someone if they post the impact analysis for Charles. You can spend that like however you see fit.

I didn't read through the thread, but he is a fantastic get.
I've known him for years. He and my son are good friends and have played on a couple of teams together and against each other from 8 year old junior football, middle school, and all the way through high school.
Christian actually got injured during our game against him this season.
He is a phenomenal athlete and one of the top 100/200 meter guys in the state.
It may be cliché, but he is even a better person.
He had people trying to recruit him to multiple other big time football high schools starting his 7th grade year and it never let up.
He could have played at any big time program in NE GA but he stayed true to his teammates, family, friends, coaches and community.
He will be a good one.
My son was thrilled

VN Store

Back