'21 GA ATH Christian Charles (Tennessee signee)

Do you need EVERY commit to be above 3 star? Otherwise we’re not even trying to compete? Coaches have to plan for eventualities...not curl into the fetal position.

I think it was Bama's '17 class that was made up of entirely of 4 and 5 stars...and at one point in the last few years their entire starting defense was 5-stars. I don't know if every recruit needs to be above a 3-star, but the majority definitely do. Again, looking at the statisics and odds, that is just the way it is going to have to be or we should expect to get woodsheded by Bama and UGA every year.

I think it was Bama's '17 class that was made up of entirely of 4 and 5 stars...and at one point in the last few years their entire starting defense was 5-stars. I don't know if every recruit needs to be above a 3-star, but the majority definitely do. Again, looking at the statisics and odds, that is just the way it is going to have to be or we should expect to get woodsheded by Bama and UGA every year.
Bama’s 2017 class had 5 3 stars or lower...including the starting QB.

NFL Rosters 2020. Non power 5 conference. American 94, CUSA 75, MWest 70, MAC 39, Sunbelt 24 Independent minus NDame 22 That is a lot of 3 2 and not rated kids on NFL Rosters. Now why does Clemson GA Ala Oak LSU Oh St compete for Playoffs because it is a line of scrimmage league and you need a QB. So yes these schools are always on top in recruiting because they recruit more of the Elite Lineman and QB,s and by mere numbers each year these school get you will hit on half of the class and you have great depth. So I hope I have answered both sides. 1. recruiting top 5 top 10 every year builds a deep team but 2. many kids not rated 4 or 5 star make it in NFL and help all College teams excel on the field. " In CHRIST Alone"

Reactions: volsfan_17
I, like you, wish the best for Christian Charles and hope he balls out here at UT and am glad to have him. You aren't bashing the kid, I just don't understand why people get attacked on here for preferring high rated players.
This isn’t an “attack” buttercup...it’s a discussion. High school kid commits and becomes subject matter. I’m not celebrating but I’m also not discounting possibilities. This is an athlete the coaches targeted fairly early. He’s not the downfall of the program.

Reactions: volsfan_17
What? Who said a team of three stars? A 3 star on a team of 4-5 stars can be better. Hence Kyle Trask and Stetson example.. I never said field a full team of 3 stars.

I am making the point that relying on 3-stars won't get it done. I don't know how many times I can say it, exceptions to the rule exist and help out on a team of highly rated recruits. Of course.

But they are exceptions to the rule. 5 is better than 4 is better than 3 is better than 2. A team with more 4 and 5 stars wins more often than a team of 3 and 4 and they win more than a team of 2 and 3 and etc...etc...

In order to beat Bama and UGA on a consistent basis and not rely on miracles, this is not the type of recruit we need to be landing. And that is NOT saying this kid won't be a superstar. It is just likely that he won't.

Reactions: CJBlaze
I am making the point that relying on 3-stars won't get it done. I don't know how many times I can say it, exceptions to the rule exist and help out on a team of highly rated recruits. Of course.

But they are exceptions to the rule. 5 is better than 4 is better than 3 is better than 2. A team with more 4 and 5 stars wins more often than a team of 3 and 4 and they win more than a team of 2 and 3 and etc...etc...

In order to beat Bama and UGA on a consistent basis and not rely on miracles, this is not the type of recruit we need to be landing. And that is NOT saying this kid won't be a superstar. It is just likely that he won't.
Where are we “relying” on 3 stars? Have you glimpsed our overall class? Any of those might help. No program has 100% “superstar” classes. We need PLAYERS.

Bro, I don’t know where he got a team full of three stars from... some hell of a spin.

Not understanding what I'm saying does not equal spin.

Bama has a more highly rated roster than we do, and beats us consistently.

UGA has a more highly rated roster than we do, and beats us consistently.

Those are facts beyond argument.

This kid could be a superstar and I hope he is. As part of a whole, however, this won't get it done in October.

I’m not arguing we need to continue to recruit 4-5 star players. But just like flowers who we were in a recruiting battle with Clemson for at the end was a no name kid. Just like Swain put it not all 3 stars are created equal. If the kid measures elite level athleticism and has the height and length then why not take a chance? We have a pretty deep pantry in the secondary full of 4 stars.

I’m not arguing we need to continue to recruit 4-5 star players. But just like flowers who we were in a recruiting battle with Clemson for at the end was a no name kid. Just like Swain put it not all 3 stars are created equal. If the kid measures elite level athleticism and has the height and length then why not take a chance? We have a pretty deep pantry in the secondary full of 4 stars.

I sincerely hope this kid balls out here. I really mean that. Sure, let's take a chance.

Someone like Nyland Green or other higher rated players is less of a chance is all I'm saying. That is why we won't beat the big dogs in the on-field rankings or games.

LSUs starting offense last year

QB Joe Burrow - 4 star (rivals 3 star)
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire - 3 star
RB2 Tyrion Davis-Price - 4 star
WR Justin Jefferson - 2 star
WR Jamarr Chase - 4 star
WR Terrace Marshall - 5 star
TE Thaddeus Moss - 3 star
LT Saahdiiq Charles - 4 star
LG Adrian McGee - 3 star
C Lloyd Cushenberry - 3 star
RG Damien Lewis - 3 star
RT Austin Deculus - 4 star

I don’t think I need to remind you what this offense did last year

Talent is important but nowhere near as much as coaching
That same coaching staff is pooping the bed this year though.

If this kid took a bonafide 5 star, not a Reggie Grimes, spot then I would be pissed and understand the reaction. If the staff has been told no by the high level guy they chased they have to get the next best option. There’s no way of us knowing. We just see the article and react with limited information. People seem to forget that it took Dabo awhile to build Clemson into what it is. Is it easier in the ACC yes but I honestly never considered Tennessee a contender for the East until ‘21. If we go 7-3 this year that’s actually really good against a 10 game SEC schedule. It’s just not happening at the pace that some want.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Florida, Georgia, and Alabama all currently start a 3 star QB.
And we will likely lose to at least two of the three, because their talent is better across the board than ours.

That doesn't mean you don't take a kid like this if you believe you can develop them into a contributor or starter.

Reactions: rjd970
You’re the one attempting to argue that 3 stars can’t beat the big 3, while all of the big 3 use a 3 star at the most important position on the field.

I've never said that a 3-star can't work out. Not once.

Now, tell me about the stars on the roster around these QBs. If there are more 3stars than 4 and 5, then I'll crawl back to my hole.

VN Store

Back