'21 GA ATH Christian Charles (Tennessee signee)

Not saying this guy will not be a good player for us, but: What Blue Chip Ratio can teach us about the college football national championship picture

"The formula is simple: sign more 4-5 stars than 2-3 stars, and you have a roster capable of taking down the trophy. The threshold is 50% or higher. And it’s been 100% effective in eliminating the wheat from the chaff for every national champion since 2005."

If we could’ve (or by some miracle we do) go from 4-8(0-8) to a National Champion in 8 years (Not to mention the last decade +) then Jeremy Pruitt would need to be put directly into the HOF.

We’ll be on the right side of this ratio soon enough.

Guys it isn't that he's low ranked......

He isn't ranked.

Gonna be funny to read all the back-peddling if this commitment causes 247 to finally look at his film and then throw a 90 next to his name

Don't get me wrong - I acknowledge we need more blue chip kids in the program to compete with uga and UA, but at least this kid has elite level athleticism. This doesn't feel like a 'just a body' selection like when we took Brandon Davis or Jarrod Means etc.

I watched his Hudl, and he looks like a really good athlete. I get it's just highlights, but his throws look better that JG( not that we are recruiting him to be a QB). If he is good enough for Pruitt, he is good enough for me. Nice pickup for the Vols. Boom!

Jamarcus Russell do something for you?
He was a highly rated player that won a natty in college, got drafted #1, and sucked in the NFL. My point is that he played well in college and that is what I care about as a UT fan. He did have talent, just zero work ethic.

He was a highly rated player that won a natty in college, got drafted #1, and sucked in the NFL. My point is that he played well in college and that is what I care about as a UT fan. He did have talent, just zero work ethic.
He didn’t win a national championship...that was Matt Flynn. He was a 4 star. Point being made when you and your buddy showed up on this commit’s thread is that the core of a championship program should be highly rated talent...no one denies that. Taking this kid doesn’t defeat that effort. Why aren’t you posting this in the Lewis, Brooks, Willis and Marley threads...if your point is we need to recruit talent?

He isn't ranked.

Gonna be funny to read all the back-peddling if this commitment causes 247 to finally look at his film and then throw a 90 next to his name

Don't get me wrong - I acknowledge we need more blue chip kids in the program to compete with uga and UA, but at least this kid has elite level athleticism. This doesn't feel like a 'just a body' selection like when we took Brandon Davis or Jarrod Means etc.
and not for nothing, but VT and OU both offered the kid.

He didn’t win a national championship...that was Matt Flynn. He was a 4 star. Point being made when you and your buddy showed up on this commit’s thread is that the core of a championship program should be highly rated talent...no one denies that. Taking this kid doesn’t defeat that effort. Why aren’t you posting this in the Lewis, Brooks, Willis and Marley threads...if your point is we need to recruit talent?
Russell was a composite .9817 4-star and you're right about Matt Flynn. Look, I am not trying to discredit this kid or his talents. I watched his film and is definitely a good player. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking that taking this kid means we are missing out on higher talent even though I can't control it. My point isn't that we should recruit talent because we are doing a very good job of that. My point along with the other guy is to try to get people to understand that although this guy can absolutely exceed expectations and be a star, it is not as likely as blue-chip recruits. I do hope he turns out like Cam Sutton. I don't have a good reason for your last question so I'll back off.

I don't know what your point is. Nobody is saying we shouldn't take this kid. Hell, nobody is saying we shouldn't take more of these kids.

What we are saying is if we take more of these kids than we do the higher rated recruits, we will not consistently be competitive, much less beat, the UGA and Bama's. This kid may very well be a blue chip athlete but he isn't currently rated one, so he is a higher risk than a current 4-5 star rated recruit. No one is also saying that 2-3 stars can't be superstars, and 4-5 stars can't be busts....but the elite teams stack the elite talent because there is going to be a higher reward as a whole.

Right now our signing classes tend to come out with a few 5-stars, 10-15 4-stars, and then a bunch of 3 stars. That won't get it done against the elite teams. I know this, because it hasn't.

We need majority blue chip rated athletes to consistently beat blue chip programs. It's that simple.

Reactions: vols 30
WE BACK !!!

This kid would've been a high 5* had he gone camping

rolling w/ the coach eval

Cheers !!
There is some truth to this. He would likely have been a high 3 star to 4 star player save covid and lack of camps. Not everyone's family can afford to take kids to these camps, it gets expensive.

Last edited:
FWIW Hubbs just said on radio he feels like the kid would’ve blown up if they had spring camps.

To be fair they’ve said that about a lot of kids. Parker. Gooch. Wright. Etc.

Seems to be their go to line when a less than 4 star commits.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
To be fair they’ve said that about a lot of kids. Parker. Gooch. Wright. Etc.

Seems to be their go to line when a less than 4 star commits.

I agree. That’s why I added the FWIW. He’s obviously not going to say anything negative on the radio.

What I do like is that they’ve targeted him for quite some time so with the class as full as it is they’re not taking him to fill an open scholly.

He isn't ranked.

Back peddling? Lol. The guy isn’t ranked. If they do reevaluate him and rank him as a 90 4*? So be it. But right now it’s hard to get excited about an unranked player, in the state of UGA this late in the recruiting cycle.

VN Store

Back