G-10 Tailgating Changes

Just reading the thread, I don't think anyone had a problem with people arriving early and getting a good spot, etc.

The problem seemed to be, how many parking spots people are entitled to take when they tailgate.

Seems like they could have posted a sign with tailgating rules in the area, "No more then 2 parking spaces per a tailgaiting group/vehicle." without upsetting as many people.

OK, If there are plenty of spots left over in the bottom garages what is the big deal. I mean it would be totally different if people were paying a grand and had no where to park. But as said before there are plenty of places to park in the bottom so I do not see a problem. I mean if they want to cry about it get there early or pick some where else to park! Just b/c they can not get a spot they want they go and tell to get other people in trouble. Is this Elementary School? I mean C'Mon get there early to get a good spot or dont complain.

There are only "plenty" of spots for the non-BIG games, and it shouldn't matter.

The rules are there on the back of everyone's parking pass.

They don't say, "If it's not a big game, feel free to break all these rules".

It's still people getting caught breaking rules, whining that they got caught no matter HOW you word it.

Kiddiedoc, I understand your frustration and hate to see you go through something like this so I'm going to do something that I wouldn't just do for anyone, I'm gonna take your parking pass off of your hands for you and put an end to this traumatic experience..... Just because I consider you a friend. :yes::)

This whole "open spots down below" really proves the point I think those of us who don't have a problem with this announcement are trying to make. I think you're exaggerating when you say 20 minutes before game time, but even so, a person paying for a G-10 pass is entitled as the next guy to park on the top level (if spaces are available). It sounds like you're saying that the early bird should be allowed to get there and be able to stake out whatever they want. I was there about 3-4 hours before game time 2 years ago and there were tons of parking spaces, but no one would offer to move. If we had forced a confrontation, maybe, I don't know. I wasn't sure what the deal was, if they were saving them for friends or what - guess they were just spreadin' out and I'll bet what I saw has only gotten worse over the past two years.

Guys,
I have listened to the most nit picking, whiny, b.s. since we lost the Florida game. It doesn't surprise me that G10 is undergoing some changes. I walked all over the top deck of G10 looking for someone about 3 hours before the game. During that time, I passed about 10 empty spots, problem was, the tailgating setups didn't allow anyone to get through to the spot. I also saw a football land in someone's chips and dip tray covering some gal in bean dip from head to toe. So for anyone to be surprised or turn this into ANOTHER way to be mad at UT because of our football woes needs to relax.

It's amazing how much bitching goes on when your team loses, especially at UT.

P.S., If I were a season ticket holder and paid that much for a parking pass and tickets, I would be pissed if I couldn't get to a spot.

Right on, Larkin. But, to say that tents and grills will no longer be allowed in the garage, when people have been paying thousands of dollars for years to set up the very same tailgating spreads for those years, is NOT the solution. The problem up top had NOTHING to do with tents, grills, or even taking up an extra space. The problem was mass gatherings that bordered on riots, with most of the people involved not even having passes for the lots. For example, there was a particular fraternity that was climbing on top of cars and had probably 50+ people who were, uh, a bit overserved, obnoxious, and out of hand.

As to the "20 minutes before gametime" being an exagerration: as the holder of a spot in G-10, I can assure you that FOR EVERY GAME, it is not overstated. In fact, there are still people trying to roll in, onto the top, all the way until kickoff.

On a side note: the entire top level was virtually empty today -- to the point that we could have played a full 6-on-6 game without endangering a single car. There were probably at LEAST 30 cops in the garage, being VERY visible and badgering tailgaters to move stuff around.

Larkin, this really has nothing to do with whining after a loss. I can eat the loss. Really, I've accepted that we deserved it. I know this was a rainy, non-impact game, but the impact of this move (if continued to be enforced) will be huge. Worst tailgating atmosphere in the garage in 3 years, today.

I have been tailgating in G-10 since 1997 and it is sad to have the complaints of a few elderly BIG MONEY donars dictate how the rules are enforced. I remember the 1999 Notre Dame game. The top level of G-10 was so crowded there were cars parked in the isles all over and there was no drastic knee jerk reactions made. The bottom line is there was someone with clout that made their voice heard this time and made it happen. The cops at the game today told us if we even had chairs in the vehicle, not to even try to get them out. So basically G-10 is strictly a parking garage where you can park your car and stand until you are ready to enter the game. Oh, by the way. The real race will be for the limited spots in the G-10 area where tents are still allowed (not in the garage). It will be interesting to see how early one has to get there for these prime spots. When next year comes around G-10 will not be the prize pass it has been in recent years. R.I.P. G-10, It was fun while it lasted.

Once the initial knee-jerk reaction calms, I think we will see some new rules dictating what is allowed on each level, mainly the top level. The three and four spaces per car is a bit rediculous but two isn't. The top level should be for the early birds and I believe tents, grills, tv's, hottubs, etc should be allowed as long as they can fit in a whole parking space beside the vehicle. If you want two spaces in between the cars then work with someone and combine your two. The lower levels would remain parking only perhaps. Tailgating is part of the Tennessee tradition. However, it is obvious that if it is to continue, those participating need to somewhat govern themselves a bit to preserve what they have. Just my .02. Meanwhile, I am going to remain in my little spot, far away from the stadium but having loads of fun regardless.

I will enjoy watching the tumbleweed blow through G-10 now. Thanks UT, good job on squatting a good thing.

It could be worse, you know... they COULD have cops patrolling the tailgating areas, citing people for having alcohol. UT is "a dry campus". I wish they would kill that little rule and sell beer in Neyland. That would make for an interesting game... :wacko:

It would make the stadium louder, that's for sure... :lol:

Still, reading this... I gotta go tailgate at Tennessee.

It doesn't really happen like that at Oregon State. Eugene is the only close city of even decent size, and it's all Ducks fans, of course. So basically everybody that goes to Oregon State games has a 2 or so hour drive south. Pretty much the entire population of Corvallis is OSU students, so they all party on Fraternity Row and in the dorms. Plus OSU is a wet campus (understatement -- you can't turn around without tripping over a cooler/keg), so that's a plus. They don't even say anything to anybody about drinking, short of belligerent behavior. I even walked into the stadium pretty housed. The 'gating picks up later on, but still... Gotta check out Neyland. Like I say just about every night, no matter where I'm at... "Where's the party at?"

i can't believe i just read 7 pages of people bitching because they got caught breaking the rules.

i can't believe i just read 7 pages of people bitching because they got caught breaking the rules.

This is like arguing with a bunch of six-year olds. "Because mommy said so!" doesn't cut it when you are destroying age-old traditions of thousands of fans.

Here's another KNS story on the tradition of UT tailgating. There are also links to recipes, tailgating gear, and a story of a marriage proposal in G-10. I guess I'm not alone, huh?

KnoxNews: Govols

I have tailgated in g-10 a few times. The top level is a great place but the other levels ain't all that.

This is like arguing with a bunch of six-year olds. "Because mommy said so!" doesn't cut it when you are destroying age-old traditions of thousands of fans.

Here's another KNS story on the tradition of UT tailgating. There are also links to recipes, tailgating gear, and a story of a marriage proposal in G-10. I guess I'm not alone, huh?

KnoxNews: Govols

how about because it says you can't on the back of the ticket? does that work for you?

Unfortunatly you aren't alone.

Tennessee has some of the whiniest, fairweather, hypocritical fans around, so it doesn't surprise me you have others sympathetic to your rule breaking.

(By the way, before you get all ruffled, I am not saying you are fairweather or hypocritical.)

Unfortunatly you aren't alone.

Tennessee has some of the whiniest, fairweather, hypocritical fans around,

It's the same everywhere. You should have heard all the whining down here when they tightened the parking rules at Georgia games. You'd have thought that UGA had ordered the first born of all Bulldawg fans killed or something.

The last time I was at UGA (2 years ago) it took HOURS to get out.

They need to change the rules again.

4 years ago, it wasn't as bad.

VN Store

Back