G-10 Tailgating Changes

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Article in the KNS this AM stating that tents and grills will no longer be permitted and that tailgating groups taking up more than one space will not be tolerated.

Nice, UT. Why don't you take away the one remaining thing that makes season tickets worth their money?

It will be interesting to see what effect this, combined with last year's subpar season and the possiblity of another, will have on ticket renewals. I, for sure, will not pay thousands without a decent spot to tailgate.

http://http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/govols/article/0,1406,KNS_294_5012203,00.html

That is the most ridiculous money making scam I have ever heard of. Where can we email to complain. I am calling the VASF right now.

Will this carry on the all the lots? This has the potential to make a huge mess.

This, to me, just represents a huge realization that the university administration is completely "out of touch" with the fans. Tailgating at the stadium is one of the greatest traditions in college football. Maybe we could just continue the "cleanup" and get rid of food and drink inside Neyland, make Knox a dry county, and eliminate the Vol Navy polution of Fort Loudon.

Better yet, why even have football at all?

I think Ole Miss should outlaw tents and grills on The Grove. I think if they did that the whole city of Oxford would shut down. If you have ever been to Oxford for a football game it is amazing to see the grove. It looks like one giant tent.

I think that the biggest cop out in the article was that in an emergency and ambulance could not get through-what a joke. People will move for that.

The admin cant see the forest for the trees..... oh wait they cant see the forest for all the tents and grills....

I would say that a number of those big donor are going to be none to happy about not having their tents smokers grill etc......

What about the folks in the lot right across from Neyland Stadium on the NW side??????

The Admin will cut off it nose to spite its face

Well, I won't be popular on here, but I do think some of the tailgaters in G-10 had gotten out of hand - taking up 2 & 3 spots, esp. on the top level. Not saying it's everyone,but a bunch up there try to spread out too far like they own the joint and then you feel intimidated to try and get a parking spot. I don't see the tailgaters in the lot across from the stadium doing that, in fact, I haven't seen anything like what I've seen in G-10 going on any other lot. SO, I'm glad UT is putting their foot down.

Instead of taking tents and grills, everyone can take tailgating canopys and meat heating units.

These same rules were sent to me before the season with my parking pass, hell I think they are even printed on the BACK of the parking pass.

It's not a change, and it's not anything negative.

It's a shame that you have to TELL people to be considerate of those aroudn you.

I park in the Locust street parking garage and I get their early enough to park in a corner, or on the end next to a painted off area where I set up my tailgating. That way, I'm not in a spot. Also, I pull my car forward just a bit, and have pleanty of room behind it for anything else I might bring.

Some people just have to fuss and complain about everything!

These same rules were sent to me before the season with my parking pass, hell I think they are even printed on the BACK of the parking pass.

It's a shame that you have to TELL people to be considerate of those aroudn you.

I park in the Locust street parking garage and I get their early enough to park in a corner, or on the end next to a painted off area where I set up my tailgating. That way, I'm not in a spot. Also, I pull my car forward just a bit, and have pleanty of room behind it for anything else I might bring.

I agree. I think it would be common sense to not take up 2-3 parking spaces for tailgating. It is inconsiderate of everyone else there. If they want to do this they why don't they buy parking passes for the other parking places they are occupying with their tents and tables and grills.

On a side note, the sports animal interviewed a woman at the game that got a letter from the ticket office telling her that there were complaints of her "cheering too loudly" and asked her to tone it down. It was on the 10-12 show with Dave Hooker. UT deciled to comment or come on the air about the situation.

I understand if people are in your assigned space that they need to move or not be there. But, showing up two hours before the gametime of a HUGE game in one of the most premiere lots is going to be trouble and that is expected. You need to learn to live with your neighboors. That is what we had to do for our spot and now we all get along great. For the Florida game, we were packed in tight, but we all made it work. Helped each other with parking, raising tents, carring supplies, ect. Instead of cutting out tailgating, regulate it. This is penalizing the masses for the follies of a few. And if you have a spot in G-10 for a big game, get there before two hours-that is understood.

On a side note, the sports animal interviewed a woman at the game that got a letter from the ticket office telling her that there were complaints of her "cheering too loudly" and asked her to tone it down. It was on the 10-12 show with Dave Hooker. UT deciled to comment or come on the air about the situation.
That is absolutely absurd. I have gotten into quite a few arguments with the people that tell me to sit down or be quiet or both. I think they need to outlaw the stadium seats that everyone brings. If you aren't able to sit on the bleacher then stay at home and that way you don't take up twice as much room as what is given to you for your seat.

That is absolutely absurd. I have gotten into quite a few arguments with the people that tell me to sit down or be quiet or both. I think they need to outlaw the stadium seats that everyone brings. If you aren't able to sit on the bleacher then stay at home and that way you don't take up twice as much room as what is given to you for your seat.
I am in total agreement with you. She didn't swear, she was just cheering for UT. This is getting out of hand. You are at a football game people, not a chess match. What is next? Outlawing the Vol Walk b/c it is dangerous to have the players that close to the fans? Plus, that might influence people to be roudy for your team and encourage this outlandish behavior of cheering for your team.

A Gator fan called in and said that he thought it was great that she cheered and if UT had such a problem with it, the the Gator nation would welcome her with open arms.

Guys Give Me A Break... This Isnt Going To Change Anything All They Did Was Keep People That Bring 16 Tents And 12 Grilles And All That Extra Stuff To Keep There Stuff In There Parking Lot. They Didnt Get Rid Of Tailgating All Together.. Just Tryin To Let People That Cant Get To The Game Till An Hour Before, Still Be Able To Park. The Problem Was People Were Takin Up 3 Or 4 Or More Extra Spots And People That Pay 1000 A Year To Park There Arent Able To Because People Are Takin Up More Than They Should. They Also Talked About Underrage Drinking Being A Problem Which Isnt Unfair To Say! I Have To Say Id Be Pissed Off If I Payed All That Money And Didnt Have A Spot. The Reason Its Different From The Other Places Is There Room For Tents Right Near Gate 21 And Those Places There Are Grassy Places For That. So Its Not That Out Of The Ordinary

Sorry, but I think your entire post is B.S.

First off, it IS DEFINITELY a change, as anyone who has parked in G-10 will tell you. The atmosphere of the top of the garage is about as good as pregame gets, and is the backdrop for Gameday (as if they'll ever return to K-town).

Second, it is DEFINITELY negative, as the entire tailgating ritual, complete with grilling, satellite TV, canopies, gathering with friends, and (yes) even a LIVE BAND will be missing.

Third, "getting there early" is not the issue. I arrived at G-10 about 11 hours before kickoff last Saturday and there was NOT ONE end spot left. That's dedication, partner. That's demand -- demand for the most fun that college football has to offer.

Next, this has nothing to do with "being considerate." Almost everybody up there is considerate, EVEN to Gator fans last week. We share and share alike -- food, drinks, TV, music, whatever.

Actually, I take that back, it DOES have to do with "being considerate." And, those that need a lesson in tolerance and consideration are the old fogeys that show up 30 minutes prior to gametime and expect a primo spot on the top level so they don't have to climb a few flights of stairs. There is always room down below, and if they don't want to be in the thick of things, THEY CAN PARK ON THE LOWER LEVELS!!!

AND FINALLY. . . . anyone who has been around here for as long as you should know that I hardly ever fuss, and when I do, it is generally for good reason. This is a huge blow to the tailgating festivities in the largest garage at the closest location to the stadium, and it affects thousands of fans. It's a big deal, and a raw one at that.

so your tellin me you should be allowed to take up other peoples spots . if so then instead of your yearly grand to park why dont you fork over 5 grand and then you can have your 80 ft tents and plasma screen tv's dont get me wrong i tailgate right next to peyton manning pass... and the flat screens and tents and smokers and grilles are awesome.. but i understand where there coming from in that you cant have all those huge tailgates when other people have to park. why do you deserve 3 parking spaces? common give me a break

k well maybe your argument should be that they need to re-evaluate the parking room up top. cuz i agree i think they should but you gotta see where there comin from too in that they are responsible if something happens to someone and there is an emergency and that garage holds only so many and they sell every spot... so you dont get to have 3 of them... because those spots are sold.. you want 3, BUY THREEE

VN Store

Back