Fulmer got in Ainge's face tonight..........

Well, I didn't mean flat necessarily from a W/L standpoint, but more from an emotional standpoint. He relaxed many of the team rules after cut left, possibly most notably the requirement that players live on campus. I'm pretty sure that, and many other disciplinary rules have now been reinstated. I guess you can peg it on the 5-6 season, or Cut coming back... or both. They certainly are related with Sanders falling on his sword for the 5-6 debacle, opening room for Cut to come back.

I don't think CRS fell on the sword. I think CPF told him he had an option of resigning or getting fired.
But Cut coming back made me happy and I think he is a big part of the puzzle. I just think that no matter what we would have seen CPF with more fire this year.

I don't think CRS fell on the sword. I think CPF told him he had an option of resigning or getting fired.
But Cut coming back made me happy and I think he is a big part of the puzzle. I just think that no matter what we would have seen CPF with more fire this year.
Well, we could get into the debate on whether or not last year should have been solely placed on CRS or not. I am of the opinion that he certainly was a contributor, but he took it ALL on his shoulders. CPF asked him to step down from OC, but certainly wasn't going to fire him as a coach. Fans here in Knoxville ran Randy out of town.

ANYWAY, back to the issue at hand. I didn't really see where people said Ainge mouthed back? Maybe I missed it, but I just watched the exchange, and all I saw was him saying "Yes, sir."

Well, we could get into the debate on whether or not last year should have been solely placed on CRS or not. I am of the opinion that he certainly was a contributor, but he took it ALL on his shoulders. CPF asked him to step down from OC, but certainly wasn't going to fire him as a coach. Fans here in Knoxville ran Randy out of town.

ANYWAY, back to the issue at hand. I didn't really see where people said Ainge mouthed back? Maybe I missed it, but I just watched the exchange, and all I saw was him saying "Yes, sir."

Me too. I didn't see him mouth back at all.
Also if you remember, CRS was not the only coach to go.

I'm just happy to see some fire from Fulmer, it is as if having Cut back has put the fire back in him to DEMAND perfection. THAT is what won us a title in '98. A demand for PERFECTION. :)

IMO, what won the Natl Ch was TALENT

I think we have two really talented and athletic fullbacks. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I don't think they are getting good position coaching. Who coaches them, anyway? Is it the TE coach, or is there a coach for all the backs?

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE COACHES!!!!!!!!

jk

I think it was for not only holding the ball, but not identifying the blitz a lot earlier. As crappy as his protection was at times, it's tough to be too down on him though.
True........perhaps his coach SHOULD'VE been readint the riot act to the offensive line coach and players, HMMMMM?

\

so explain the reasons for a 5 and 6 season/ and no SECC since the 1998 season
Poor coaching of course. There was a shake up in the staff in the off-season, and you see the fruits of much better coaching this year. I do believe this is exactly what I stated when I said that a demand for perfection won the national title... ???

I mean, Patrick, if TALENT wins titles, you tell ME what went so wrong last year. That was a VERY talented team...

so are you saying that last year was coaching??????

basically the same as the previous 4 - 5 seasons. wasnt sanders the OC for the 98 chsp game

so are you saying that last year was coaching??????

basically the same as the previous 4 - 5 seasons. wasnt sanders the OC for the 98 chsp game
Yes... I think I stated that as plain as I can.

Sure he was, he called the plays. That doesn't change the fact that the offense had been coached all season by David Cutcliffe. Notice how, things were fine right after he left, but gradually got worse as the players got more lax in their work ethic and discipline?

some of the folks on this board never cease to amaze me........

if coaching was the problem as you have stated... then Fulmer should be held to the highest standard being that he is the head coach. but yet everyone says it was sanders fault and stephens fault and the wide receivers coaches fault but not Fulmer's fault.......

if we are soooo talented why is our oline so average and why is our dline struggling??????

some of the folks on this board never cease to amaze me........

if coaching was the problem as you have stated... then Fulmer should be held to the highest standard being that he is the head coach. but yet everyone says it was sanders fault and stephens fault and the wide receivers coaches fault but not Fulmer's fault.......

if we are soooo talented why is our oline so average and why is our dline struggling??????
You were talking about last year, remember?

I'm not saying you can't blame Fulmer for last year. He's the Coach after all, but you have to look at his entire body of work before you make a decision... that would seem obvious to me. If you think he was such a poor coach last year, and should be held responsible for that, then what do you have to say about the turnaround this year?

I stated that I think Cut was a missing piece to the puzzle. The sum of the parts is greater than that of them individually. Surely you saw the statistics that allvol brought together about the coaching combination of Fulmer, Cut, and Chavis???

I am not yet convvinced that the program has made a turnaround.

Have the Vols improved in some areas???? yes they have.....But IMO it is a little early to say that the program has turned around. There are still glarring problems with this team/program. I will withhold my judgment until later in the year. The Vols may go 10 - 2 which i believe is unlikely... 9 - 3 or 8 - 4 which is betterthan last year but i do not call that a turnaround.

And what happens if Cut leaves in a couple of years?????

I am not yet convvinced that the program has made a turnaround.

Have the Vols improved in some areas???? yes they have.....But IMO it is a little early to say that the program has turned around. There are still glarring problems with this team/program. I will withhold my judgment until later in the year. The Vols may go 10 - 2 which i believe is unlikely... 9 - 3 or 8 - 4 which is betterthan last year but i do not call that a turnaround.

And what happens if Cut leaves in a couple of years?????
No big deal according to you... talent is all it takes. :wacko:

8-4 would be a little disappointing, but anything above that would be right on par with where the Vols have been for years. 10 wins is generally the benchmark. I don't REALLY see where the disagreement is, other than you want Fulmer gone, flat out, but the evidence just isn't there to fire the man.

you just said last year the problem was coaching not talent.

Do the Vols not have talent this year??????

You have made a large assumption about my thoughts of Fulmer. and you know what happens when you assume.....

FYI I am indifferent on Fulmer. It is not my decision whether he stays or goes. I have never said that he should have been fired last year.

I do however have very high expectations for the Tennessee Vols. SEC titles, 10 and 2 regular season records, and BCS Bowl game wins is not too much to ask of a head coach who is being paid over 2 million dollars. USC was won 2 natl titles in 3 years.... played for a third and may play for another this year.

It is not unreasonable to expect and demand a high level of performance from a major D1 program.

I said that coaching (the quote being "a demand for perfection") brought on a title in '98. You said it was talent. Now everything you have said since seems to contradict that... ???

Btw, I was being sarcastic. The Vols have both talent and coaching this year. While last year, I believe they had even more talent, but poor coaching. However, coaching is a performance related job, and your performance can change depending on the factors around you. Coaching last year = very bad. Coaching this year = much better.

You're right though, I can't fully deem the job of coaching a success until the end of the year, but I'm optimistic.

So what's the argument here?

The FB's are very talented physically. But they are either unwilling to play up to their potential or unmotivated to play up to their potential. We need to figure out which on it is and fix the problem.

I agree with what someone posted on here about Ainge not "stepping UP IN THE POCKET" and instead running straight backwards. He rarely ever even escapes out to the left or right of the pocket (i.e. not losing more yards) and he never steps forward in the pocket (i.e. losing fewer yards) but instead when he gets pressured he runs straight backwards! What is the reason for that? You lose more yards if you get sacked and if you try to make a throw you have to heave it off your back foot. When he starts stepping up or out of the pocket it will be a big improvement.

P.S. That comment was in no way meant to take blame away from the OL or FB, so save your comments about it not being Ainge's fault because the OL/FB's suck.

VN Store

Back