Fulmer comments on Gillespie departure

IMHO the biggest reasons were the school Admins, the Board of Trustees, the BIG $$$ boosters NOT standing up and taking control away from some family named Haslam and refusing to spend the serious $$$$ it takes to get a top HC like Bama and Ohio State did.

I can buy 1 Krystal lots cheaper than I can buy a whopper but 1 krystal will still leave me very hungry.

I honestly do NOT like nick saTan because he's a proven Liar.

I still have to sit back and think, Where would my beloved Tennessee footVol program be today if the powers that be had gone after him like alaBubba did before they got him?

The answer is now obvious.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Since you seem more "enlightened ",did the mess not start with Doug Dickey and Joe Johnson leaving? If there is more please expound for us "uninformed "

And here it seems I'm not actually the one offended.

All I said was that I don't chalk up all of UTs problems to firing a coach that was satisfied with surviving until he saw fit to exit. Fulmer had his run in the glory and it was over. Nothing wrong with that. Many never reached that high. But it was over.

UT had at the time and has had poor leadership all the way up the chain since then. It came to a head with that debacle several weeks back. It wasn't one decision by one person that set this in motion nor gave it more momentum. Been several people involved in this train wreck.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes parade him out there at the National Signing Day Celebration and then let him go.

I just can't believe that they were willing to let our best position coach leave
The bright spot on our team was the running game and the kicking game. Now both of those position coaches ate gone

I just can't believe that they were willing to let our best position coach leave
The bright spot on our team was the running game and the kicking game.Now both of those position coaches ate gone

Not because of the COACHING. We had a stud punter. I don’t know what placekicker you’ve been watching the past four seasons. :huh:

The bright spot on our team was the running game and the kicking game. Now both of those position coaches ate gone

We didn't "let" him "leave". He was fired. Just like Butch. Seems CJP gave off the vibe, "Find another job." Gillespie didn't pick up it. He's a gator. Go figure.

Man I can't get all the hate for CPF. The man is a big reason why we as fans hold the program to such high expectations. 152 and 52 and he is constantly getting bashed. He could have said f it and not come back to try to right the ship, but he didn't. Coach Pruitt might not work out,but imo we are better off with someone who knows what this program should look like making the decisions. Fire away.

Reactions: 6 people
Man I can't get all the hate for CPF. The man is a big reason why we as fans hold the program to such high expectations. 152 and 52 and he is constantly getting bashed. He could have said f it and not come back to try to right the ship, but he didn't. Coach Pruitt might not work out,but imo we are better off with someone who knows what this program should look like making the decisions. Fire away.

They can hate him all they want. Facts are, without him, this program has not had a sniff of the SEC Championship much less the NC. Oh, on he's back and even stronger as the AD. Right about now all these anti Fulmer people sound like the "Resist Trump" crowd.

It is strange to hear Fulmer talk like that. If Fulmer had applied that same "big boy business" attitude to his underperforming assistant coaches during his tenure (instead of his coaching staff stability mantra), he might still be coaching.

Oh, all those assistants that went and got great jobs at other schools? Only issue Fulmer had was Hamilton refusing him enough money, the year after Fulmer went to an SEC game and played toe to toe with the eventual NC's, to go hire the OC he really wanted. Instead he had to take a shot at the up and comer. Clawfense didn't work here but he is now a successful HC in a P5 conference so iy looks like ole Phil was right abouy him being a good coach.

It makes zero sense. Outside of Neyland he is the most successful coach in TN history. For some reason that isn't enough. People lament about missed opportunities (95,96,97,99,01). Well... those were opportunities because of Phil. They punish him for failing to meet their expectations even though Phil was the reason they had such high expectations to begin with. He won a NC, same amount as Spurrier. Bowden only won 2 in 40yrs but he is revered. Nah, here at TN we dog people that love the university and took it to the top of the mountain. Who signed legends like Peyton, Al, Lewis, Clausen, Henderson, Stephens, and more.

I don't hear people dog Majors. Dude cost us multiple SEC and NC's. He was punting the ball on 3rd downs with Heath Shuler.

Rant over

Reactions: 2 people
It makes zero sense. Outside of Neyland he is the most successful coach in TN history. For some reason that isn't enough. People lament about missed opportunities (95,96,97,99,01). Well... those were opportunities because of Phil. They punish him for failing to meet their expectations even though Phil was the reason they had such high expectations to begin with. He won a NC, same amount as Spurrier. Bowden only won 2 in 40yrs but he is revered. Nah, here at TN we dog people that love the university and took it to the top of the mountain. Who signed legends like Peyton, Al, Lewis, Clausen, Henderson, Stephens, and more.

I don't hear people dog Majors. Dude cost us multiple SEC and NC's. He was punting the ball on 3rd downs with Heath Shuler.

Rant over

You’ve never HEARD people do that? Welcome to the board. :)

Reactions: 2 people
They can hate him all they want. Facts are, without him, this program has not had a sniff of the SEC Championship much less the NC. Oh, on he's back and even stronger as the AD. Right about now all these anti Fulmer people sound like the "Resist Trump" crowd.

I love Phil, he was a great coach for us at one time. Cutcliffe and Chavis were big factors in his success as well. His time had come and was up. He was heading downward. That is not hating on Fulmer, it's just the truth. The move was made after recruiting had suffered and it appeared we were cruising for mediocrity at a quick pace. He was as responsible for his firing as any other coach ever has been. The problem after that was poor hires and leadership in the admin.

I'm sure he's good at what he does, but it's always funnyeople people latch onto the notion that football is so complicated that only about 5 guys in America are any good at coaching it.

Or that no one but a UT alum should be coaching here

Oh, all those assistants that went and got great jobs at other schools? Only issue Fulmer had was Hamilton refusing him enough money, the year after Fulmer went to an SEC game and played toe to toe with the eventual NC's, to go hire the OC he really wanted. Instead he had to take a shot at the up and comer. Clawfense didn't work here but he is now a successful HC in a P5 conference so iy looks like ole Phil was right abouy him being a good coach.

Clawson was Fulmer's choice. He had just won FCS as a head coach and it took him all of 2 seconds to get a HC job at a mid major.

At some point, some of our ignorant fans must face the FACT that Fulmer got himself fired. If he was so damn great, some other program would have courted him

Fulmer was the best coach we had in how many years? Haslam wanted him gone. And many were just Haslam mouth pieces.

VN Store

Back