Fulmer coach in waiting (article)

This guy is a moron. Is it possible? Sure. Do I think it'll happen? Not really. I do think of we got 1-6 or 0-7 Pruitt will be shown the door

You do realize Fulmer is the 2nd winningest coach in ut history in win %, not sure bout games won. I would love to see the type teams fulmer had again. Yes he had a few bad years. but his worst years is better than we have been for several years

Fulmer is not going to go from AD back to coaching. Every whack job has an opinion. Hey, maybe Gruden will quit Oakland and coach the Vols.

Reactions: NashvilleFan
“Fulmer coach in waiting”

I can’t see it. Fulmer will be like 73 in 3 years........that’s too old for him to start coaching again........and everyone keeps telling me you can’t fire a coach until you give him like 5 years.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
My husband is convinced they will Fire Pruitt and instate Fulmer as interim. I can’t remember what school did that recently...AD coaching after the head coach was fired....but I sure hope not
Wisconsin. Maybe West Virginia?

Imagine if Fulmer appointed himself HC and then failed. Would he ever be allowed back in Knoxville?

Fulmer is the problem. He wants back on the field. Got new job with university, applied for AD did not get job, had ear of chancellor. Got Currie fired. Was sitting waiting to take his place. Did not hire an experienced head coach to clean up after jones. Got sited by ncaa for being on field acting like a coach. What else do you need. He should be at home enjoying his millions he has already been paid. I am not happy we are losing but I also don’t like micro coaching.

Fulmer is the problem. He wants back on the field. Got new job with university, applied for AD did not get job, had ear of chancellor. Got Currie fired. Was sitting waiting to take his place. Did not hire an experienced head coach to clean up after jones. Got sited by ncaa for being on field acting like a coach. What else do you need. He should be at home enjoying his millions he has already been paid. I am not happy we are losing but I also don’t like micro coaching.
You Majors guys really do hold a grudge don’t you? It’s been 27 years, let it go.

I just can't get on board with this notion that Fulmer would want to get involved in coaching again, especially at 69 years old. He does not have the energy of a Nick Saban. There's no way he actually wants to coach on game day, deal with the media on a daily basis, recruit, etc., is there? He certainly wants influence in what goes on, but actually being the head coach again?

Phil's tenure ended ungracefully. IMO, the only reason he took the AD job is to improve his legacy. If he went out on top or with the program still riding fairly high, I bet he rides off into the sunset and totally disengages, only returning occasionally for meet and greet type stuff, and enjoys retired life with all the money he made.

You do realize Fulmer is the 2nd winningest coach in ut history in win %, not sure bout games won. I would love to see the type teams fulmer had again. Yes he had a few bad years. but his worst years is better than we have been for several years
The thing about Phil is that it was a tale of two tenures. We seem to forget that he was not elite throughout his tenure. His elite period was exclusively from 1993-2001, particularly from 1995-2001. He won 84% of his games overall from 1995-01 with 3 East titles, 2 SEC titles, and a national title. Only a couple of other schools during that timeframe could claim to have more impressive marks.

Fulmer has not been what'd I call a great coach since 2001. That was 18 years ago. 1993-2001 Phil is much different than 2002-08 Phil. 2002-08 Phil only won 64% of his games overall, which is pretty good but by no means an elite coach. It's only about 10 percentage points better than Butch, for crying out loud.

Once Richt, Saban, and Urban entered the conference, Phil's recruiting really slipped and he began to get out-schemed and out-coached by younger, more dynamic coaches. Our program really hasn't been the same since, and it has been compounded by self-inflicted administrative incompetence.

I don't buy the whole "Phil's plan" theory. He stepped into the AD role while everyone was in meltdown mode. He didn't hire Pruitt because he knew he would fail. Nobody wanted the coaching job. Pruitt was a risk hire, but it was camoflauged by Pruitt having rings. That appeased the fanbase and gave us all hope. Sure, we all wanted him to get more rings with us, but he may just not be capable of doing that. That's the risk we took.

I don't buy the whole "Phil's plan" theory. He stepped into the AD role while everyone was in meltdown mode. He didn't hire Pruitt because he knew he would fail. Nobody wanted the coaching job. Pruitt was a risk hire, but it was camoflauged by Pruitt having rings. That appeased the fanbase and gave us all hope. Sure, we all wanted him to get more rings with us, but he may just not be capable of doing that. That's the risk we took.
The author clearly makes a few leaps in both articles, but we were actually about to get out of the coaching search wilderness when this happened. Currie had flown to LA and had Mike Leach ready to sign when he was told to come back to Knoxville and immediately dismissed. Currie was the scapegoat and Fulmer becomes AD.

Do I believe Fulmer hired Pruitt knowing he would fail? Of course not. Because that might cost Fulmer his job as well. Do I believe Fulmer politicked his way into the AD role? Absolutely. Do I believe Fulmer would come back tomorrow as HC? In a NY minute.

VN Store

Back