Fulmer coach in waiting (article)

One of the stupidest articles ever by Adams. An AD does not name himself coach under any circumstance and certainly not one who got fired from coaching in the first place. Adams needs to be fired for writing hideous crap like that.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Fulmer very clearly lost his fire during the second half of his tenure, particularly the 2005-08 period. Richt and Urban ate his lunch on the recruiting trail and he went a combined 8-13 (.381) against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama from 2002-08. He was losing almost 2 out of every 3 games to those schools over a period of 7 seasons. That just isn't good enough at Tennessee.
How have we done against those 3 the last 7 years?

Next week he'll write an article stating Peyton Manning as head coach may be the only solution to our football program. Adam's has always been awful

Fillup firing Pruitt and inserting himself would be popular with about 50% of the Fan Base. Which is why we are in this mess.
And if the UT Admin were dumb enuf to allow it, then they need to released also.
I have nothing against Pruitt. Good man doing the best he can learning on the job. Fillup is the one that hired him. In todays world Ex Jock Coaches do not make ADs.
And Ex Jock Coaches Alumni is even worse. With the S**t Show on the Hill, Coach Pruitt is the least of your worries.

I don't think he wants to come back and actually be the head coach. Too much work and he's 69 years old. Do you think he actually wants to be out on the road recruiting, dealing with the media everyday, etc.?

I think he would have to have a HC who he thinks he can control and exert influence over, but ultimately he'd like to be remembered as being the guy who hired the HC that turned the program around, because his legacy at present is kind of mixed.
It just doesn't make sense right now. If this was post Dooley, maybe.

As you stated, Fulmer has a mixed legacy at this point. Id still contend that it is more positive than negative by most and in a crazy way the continued slide after his firing has helped that perception.

He now finds himself in a corner somewhat. He was brought back to hire a football coach and stabilize the program. If that happens (off to a rough start) his legacy is bolstered maybe even in a way he couldn't have added to it as a coach at the end of his tenure. He wasn't remembered as a guy that took UT from the basement to the top, but rather a guy that took a program on solid footing one more step.

If the conspiracy ( and I think thats all it is) is true. He could take a more positive opinion of his time and here and muddy it up with a hire that didn't work, and possibly a return that doesn't fix it either. I just don't see why that makes sense to him or anyone else at this point.

It just doesn't make sense right now. If this was post Dooley, maybe.

As you stated, Fulmer has a mixed legacy at this point. Id still contend that it is more positive than negative by most and in a crazy way the continued slide after his firing has helped that perception.

He now finds himself in a corner somewhat. He was brought back to hire a football coach and stabilize the program. If that happens (off to a rough start) his legacy is bolstered maybe even in a way he couldn't have added to it as a coach at the end of his tenure. He wasn't remembered as a guy that took UT from the basement to the top, but rather a guy that took a program on solid footing one more step.

If the conspiracy ( and I think thats all it is) is true. He could take a more positive opinion of his time and here and muddy it up with a hire that didn't work, and possibly a return that doesn't fix it either. I just don't see why that makes sense to him or anyone else at this point.
Yes, totally agree with that bolded part. Everything is relative, and the last few years of the program under him (even though it was slipping) look pretty good in comparison to how it's look since he's fired. Rosy retrospection. People tend to look back on the past as being better than what it really was.

Please no!!! If Fulmer was a great coach he would have 3 National Championships. An above average coach would have accomplished a lot more with the players he had.

Last Monday John Adams published a piece in the Rag he works for stating his theory is "Fulmer won’t make his move until UT absorbs its annual drubbing from Alabama. Then, Tennessee will announce Pruitt has resigned because of (pick one) family, personal or health reasons. The Vols will throw millions of dollars at Pruitt to go away; he will begin looking for a defensive coordinator’s job somewhere else; and Fulmer will be named interim head coach. When the Vols win four of their last five games, Fulmer will be named full-time coach." Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting

Pruitt needs 4 years to get this merry-go-round back under control and is making good strides getting good recruits to come to Ktown. When year 4 gets here CJP will be coaching seniors he recruited and then is the time to decide where the program is at and not halfway thru this season like JA proposes. I have cancelled my subscription to KNS for printing this totally irresponsible piece. If the culture in Knoxville is going to change for the better we do not need JA around spewing his garbage.

Last Monday John Adams published a piece in the Rag he works for stating his theory is "Fulmer won’t make his move until UT absorbs its annual drubbing from Alabama. Then, Tennessee will announce Pruitt has resigned because of (pick one) family, personal or health reasons. The Vols will throw millions of dollars at Pruitt to go away; he will begin looking for a defensive coordinator’s job somewhere else; and Fulmer will be named interim head coach. When the Vols win four of their last five games, Fulmer will be named full-time coach." Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting

Pruitt needs 4 years to get this merry-go-round back under control and is making good strides getting good recruits to come to Ktown. When year 4 gets here CJP will be coaching seniors he recruited and then is the time to decide where the program is at and not halfway thru this season like JA proposes. I have cancelled my subscription to KNS for printing this totally irresponsible piece. If the culture in Knoxville is going to change for the better we do not need JA around spewing his garbage.

Others have written along similar lines. Even heard it mentioned on game day not to mention a number of threads/posts on this and every other UT board. If you're looking for positivity in the program, I doubt you'll find much outside the locker room.

Reactions: Booker512
Personally, I am indifferent regarding anything JA writes positive or negative take. However, love him or hate him, who is the one guy that most people read first covering the VOLS? It is Adams by a landslide and for that reason, he continues to be employed with KNS. His conspiracy theories much like Tony B. attracts people. If UT would become good at football again, the writings of JA would be completely different. There has not been a whole lot of positivity to report on the past 12 years except for a couple of seasons with Dobbs.

Reactions: UTwild82
His time to go was long long ago.

KNS went pay for play, and Knox News sends me emails but doesn't like my ad blocker, so between them they've solved accidentally tripping over John Adams nonsense. The fool has been around long enough to have learned how to write about Tennessee football from Marvin West, but he didn't. I hate to give JA any credit for anything, but he sure did his part in the Fulmer massacre that led to this whole mess. It seems like JA sees himself king of the Fulmer haters.

VN Store

Back