Fulmer’s Legacy at Tennessee

I've never understood the fascination some have with minimizing Fulmer's career. He was a very good OL coach and OC helping Majors build the program and then had a great run that lasted 12 years before things started to fall off.

I agree that he kept some assistants around too long and recruiting faltered and he needed to be replaced. You'll also find a ton of posts from a few years ago where I was not in favor of a football coach getting the AD job. But when he was good, he was good and there's no point trying to explain it away.
It was heartbreaking when he slacked off on recruiting and keeping the team under control. I guess lots of people run out of gas at some point. But it was a great run while it lasted.

I'll remember Billy Ratliff, Al Wilson, Tee Martin, Travis Henry, Will Bartholomew and the other players that delivered the 1998 title a lot more than I will Fulmer.

Fulmer set this ball rolling down hill in 2005 and brought as much shame to this program in the last 3 years than any of the 3 previous coaches.

We get to be the butt of all the jokes we have told about Bama being cheaters for the last 30 years now thanks Fulmer and Pruitt.

He was really in over his head both as a coach and especially an AD. Came in the back door when Majors got sick. Never was an X and Os guy and benefited from having David Cutcliff. After David left, it was never the same. Owned by Saban, Spurrier, and Meyer. Success he had was when other programs were down (Bama on probation and GA with mediocre coaching). When he faded, no other program was standing in line to hire him which speaks volumes. On the contrary, he would have had to pay someone to take him as a coach. Too loyal to his assistants when assistants were not performing. He was lucky to have been at UT when he was otherwise he would have never achieved much of anything.
In over his head as coach? LOL. One national championsip, 2 SECs, 5 times SEC East, National Coach of the Year, and voted by peers head of the college football coaches association. LOL.

As a line coach who had Cut and Chief plus a number of good recruiters... he didn't "get" or teach Peyton.

Probably too soon to tell, I suspect Blonde Donde wants Fulmer replaced before the Glazier report goes public and before Tennessee receives its notice of allegations, as while Fulmer was not the subject of the investigation, he will be the linchpin for concerns regarding lack of institutional control and the characterizations of what Fulmer was really spending his time on, will reflect the juvenile and amateurish approach to his role as athletic director. I'm not sure how or why the university will want to keep all that confidential, but I would not expect the facts to portray Fulmer in a very positive light, particularly if he ends up being the snitch on the program he was charged to protect.

The same ego, mindset and skillset that brought you a losing season and losing record in the conference in 2008, was the same ego, mindset and skillset bogussed in as athletic director 10 years later and couldn't manage or prevent the staff, potentially some players and coaches from engaging in some of the most eggregious, humiliating and downright embarrassing recruiting violations the conference or the NCAA have ever seen.

The legacy is still being written about a most disappointing and bizarre love for the university that has made him a wealthy man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000 and MAD
Last year Fulmer was a coach-UT hit rock bottom
Last year Fulmer was AD-UT hit rock bottom.

Proof is in the pudding as my momma used to say!UT-Fulmer  & Tubby carwash.jpg

Reactions: MAD
Probably too soon to tell, I suspect Blonde Donde wants Fulmer replaced before the Glazier report goes public and before Tennessee receives its notice of allegations, as while Fulmer was not the subject of the investigation, he will be the linchpin for concerns regarding lack of institutional control and the characterizations of what Fulmer was really spending his time on, will reflect the juvenile and amateurish approach to his role as athletic director. I'm not sure how or why the university will want to keep all that confidential, but I would not expect the facts to portray Fulmer 8n a very positive light, particularly if he ends up being the snitch on the program he was charged to protect.

The same ego, mindset and skillset that brought you a losing season and losing record in the conference in 2008, was the same ego, mindset and skillset bogussed in as athletic director 10 years later and couldn't manage or prevent the staff, potentially some players and coaches from engaging in some of the most eggregious, humiliating and downright embarrassing recruiting violations the conference or the NCAA haveegregious,

The legacy is still being written about a most disappointing and bizarre love for the university that has made him a wealthy man.
Stopped reading at "Blonde Donde." Such childishness.

[
QUOTE="TN/LA, post: 19324786, member: 21304"]I'll remember the long slow slide into mediocrity in the early 2000s, often winning just enough games (8) for his bonuses to kick in. I'll remember the undignified way he lurked around like the phantom of the athletic department during Kiffin's year (maintaining an office down the hall after he was fired; accepting an award on-field during Kiffin's orange & white game that spring.) I'll remember the way he embarrassingly added himself to the candidates list for the Notre Dame job in 2009. I'll remember that sinking feeling in 2017 when he wormed his way back into UT athletics and promised it was only temporary. And I'll remember learning in 2020 that he secretly gave himself a raise, buyout and contract extension during the pandemic summer as though another school would ever try to lure an unqualified athletic director away from us.

Also, I'll remember the championship 22 years ago.[/QUOTE]

For the record, 76-38 in the 2000's including his only 2 losing seasons.

His two losing seasons sandwiched a 9-4 and 10-4 season.

Look up his record and show me a long slow glide into mediocrity.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'm a florida guy. From the outside to me it seems like the school and most fans over valued Phil. He definitely fell into a good place with majors players. He got manning to come which brought a boatload of tallent that wanted to play on that team. As it turned out they got so much talent tenn won a NC after nanning left. After that is was a slow down turn of never being able to duplicate that on the field.
He never went onto fail anywhere so kept high status in vol land.
He took a chance on pruitt after passing on many candidates that did better and several guys that possibly could have been in the mix, were not. Hide site is always 20/20 but he really didnt pick well at all. Why let him pick again?

Reactions: Mtnvol80
How will Phillip Fulmer and his lasting legacy to the University of Tennessee be remembered?

His legacy is top notch... fired too quickly at the end of his coaching career by Hammy the snake.... came back as AD to help Stabilize tie football program, and hired Coaxh Pruitt in 6 days time. Pruitt should hv been given 4-5 years to turn over the roster imo....

I think his legacy is great. At that moment Pruitt was hired, who were the other choices? Tucker from Ga, Steele..... all poor choices....

Fulmer really tried his best.. But Pruitt is really just not SEC head coach material at this point imo....

If Chaney coaches for us this season then we will find out if he’s any good or not...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
There’s an old saying... “Never hire someone you don’t want to fire, especially if you’ve fired them once already.”

Or at least there should be...

Reactions: MAD
For the record, 76-38 in the 2000's including his only 2 losing seasons.

His two losing seasons sandwiched a 9-4 and 10-4 season.

Look up his record and show me a long slow glide into mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

----

I guess living through it made it feel long and slow, but going from 7 conference losses from 2001-2004 to 15 conference losses from 2005-2008 is a slide into mediocrity, especially coming off of his highs of the 1990s (when he had only 12 conference losses in his first 8 seasons.)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back