Fulmer’s Legacy at Tennessee

The team Fulmer was fielding the day he was fired had a sophomore class that was ranked 3rd and his seniors were ranked 4th

Sort of discounts all the he got lazy in recruiting narratives. Does not change the wins and losses but I get tired of inaccurate narratives.

Sort of discounts all the he got lazy in recruiting narratives. Does not change the wins and losses but I get tired of inaccurate narratives.
In my opinion, scheme and player development were Fulmer’s problems. The highly ranked 05 and 07 classses were littered with busts. In his heyday Fulmer could out talent everybody on the schedule, but was consistently out schemed by Spurrier. By the time Fulmer was fired he had a losing record against 7 of the sitting 12 SEC coaches. When Meyer was hired at Florida, Fulmer said scheme will only get you so far, you have to have the right personnel. I remember thinking after the 07 Florida game that Fulmer would never beat Meyer. Those two could’ve played twice a year since 07, and I still don’t think Fulmer would’ve beaten Meyer even once.

Reactions: MAD
Hired the worst coach of all time. Presided over a program that had one of the worst runs of all time. Leaves with his hire being fired for cheating. Leaves with the program in shambles and a certified dumpster fire. Make a case for him NOT being one of the worst AD's of all time.

This is 100% legit.

I never thought it could happen, but the football program is much worse off today than it was when Butch was fired.

Reactions: MAD
Hired the worst coach of all time. Presided over a program that had one of the worst runs of all time. Leaves with his hire being fired for cheating. Leaves with the program in shambles and a certified dumpster fire. Make a case for him NOT being one of the worst AD's of all time.

Like the man said that you responded to, he may well have hired the worst coach out of the weakest pool of candidates ever and he betrayed all of us by not at least losing with integrity, but his job as AD involved the ENTIRE department. I think since the day he took over, on his watch, MBB, WBB, T&F, swimming, soccer, volleyball, and baseball for sure have moved only in the right direction, softball and a few others may be flat but name me another sport trending down. The bell cow has indeed suffered, but his overall performance is what it is and I am sure what has been in his annual performance review.

I think the presser made it plain they were ALL surprised at the number of violations and at the methods employed to keep them hidden which evidently required the 7 or so support staff to pull off. We all are guessing JP was in the know and for our financial health hope there are smoking guns to prove that, but they would not have hailed CPF on the stage the other day if he was compromised by the evidence to date at all. I am sure he wanted to take this job, pick the right guy and ride into permanent retirement on a white horse... not to be.... but neither is the narrative by many.

Yet he brought Lane Kiffin here and many fans want him back. Ironic huh?

I will admit I have been shocked at the number of Vols that do not place a high value integrity and not only would consider hiring a guy like Freeze, but openly campaign for them. We have just begun to pay the price for Pruitt and his staff's indiscretions. Thank goodness Boyd has drawn a line in the sand. Even Kiffin shocks me.. His shortcomings are different, but to consider a guy that left us after one year and now wanting us to go see if he would leave UM after one year is beyond my comprehension. I guess my old school values are too ingrained to discount the importance of commitment to a relationship. These guys seem to be able to justify anything as long as it meets their personal needs or objectives, then ride off and let others pay the price.

In my opinion, scheme and player development were Fulmer’s problems. The highly ranked 05 and 07 classses were littered with busts. In his heyday Fulmer could out talent everybody on the schedule, but was consistently out schemed by Spurrier. By the time Fulmer was fired he had a losing record against 7 of the sitting 12 SEC coaches. When Meyer was hired at Florida, Fulmer said scheme will only get you so far, you have to have the right personnel. I remember thinking after the 07 Florida game that Fulmer would never beat Meyer. Those two could’ve played twice a year since 07, and I still don’t think Fulmer would’ve beaten Meyer even once.
3-10? vs Richt, Meyer and Saban.

He did hold it together in 98. That was great for certain. His run from 95 thru 98 was
also very good, but not stellar and that's it. He had a real nice run that gets over-stated.

He didn't recruit Peyton Manning. Watch the ESPN Biopic: Manning. David Cutcliffe inked him.
And, he backed into the '07 SEC CG after Florida and Georgia lost twice. Cutlciffe bailed him out
in '06 and they did not progress in '07. But, they won the bowl game in '07 to get to 10.

He had 2 conference titles. He couldn't beat Spurrier when it counted, and lost to him when it
didn't matter (05, 08), 5-9 all-time. Got jack hammered in '98 Orange Bowl by Osborne, started
then losing to Saban at LSU right off the bat, then onto Richt and then Meyer. That's about it for
him. Oh, this fiasco of course with Pruitt. He's no saint.

In a way, it's as dodgy as the Majors-Fulmer debacle. 50-50 at best. Like it or not, that's the facts.

No, he beat Saban in the first game, 2001 regular season. Also, beat Bama 7 straight and UGA 8 straight. Oh yeah, those programs were down, blah, blah, blah. Part of the reason those programs were down was because Fulmer was stealing their lunches.
Back to the Glass Half Empty narrative.

Reactions: volcop1
Fulmer reminds me of George Foreman.

Foreman was a beast when he launched Joe Frazier to the canvas but the fat, slow Foreman that came back sticks in my mind too.

Fulmer stayed in the ring too long.

No, he beat Saban in the first game, 2001 regular season. Also, beat Bama 7 straight and UGA 8 straight. Oh yeah, those programs were down, blah, blah, blah. Part of the reason those programs were down was because Fulmer was stealing their lunches.
Back to the Glass Half Empty narrative.
Donnan, Debose etc...ok.

Reactions: volsknx
Thanks Phil for NC .. the contributions as a player , coach and AD .. it was all done with a Love for this university ..we all make mistakes .. hiring JP was one and Im sure you know now .. its easy to get caught up in the win streak at end of 2019 .. looking back extending was a mistake .. you know it ..we all know it .. but again Thanks for the passion you played with, Coached with .. and your players always loved you ... some folks seem to forget quickly .. but thanks for trying to help this university out of a quagmire .. you made the right choice .. let somebody else give it a go .. we have dropped a long way since you left ... sad but true ..take care Coach !! Enjoy the grand babies ..

I will admit I have been shocked at the number of Vols that do not place a high value integrity and not only would consider hiring a guy like Freeze, but openly campaign for them. We have just begun to pay the price for Pruitt and his staff's indiscretions. Thank goodness Boyd has drawn a line in the sand. Even Kiffin shocks me.. His shortcomings are different, but to consider a guy that left us after one year and now wanting us to go see if he would leave UM after one year is beyond my comprehension. I guess my old school values are too ingrained to discount the importance of commitment to a relationship. These guys seem to be able to justify anything as long as it meets their personal needs or objectives, then ride off and let others pay the price.
I feel you. Today it’s about winning and money. Who can get instant gratification the fastest to the hungry wolves. With the amount of many that is able to be thrown at coaches today is disturbing but this is where we are now.

I can say this. Prepare to be real damn committed to the next HC here. No one will take this job without a massive $$,$$$,$$$ buyout and a contract for 7 years minimum. Probably will also get paid a minimum of $6,000,000 a season too...the cost of Fulmer’s poor judgement.

I have to give it to the man. He hired himself 2 coaches right out of a job back to back. Clawson over Mike DeBord who would have had us competing right away with our Pro-Style built roster. Then picking Pruitt over Steele.

Reactions: Volfan1000 and MAD
Successful coach, but one that couldn’t seem to adapt to the later challenges brought by Saban and Richt. Players coach. LOVED to compete. Never mistaken for an Xs and Os genius. 152-52 W/L looks pretty good now.

As AD, he failed badly at his most important task: finding a good football HC who wanted to be here in Dec 2017. I was surprised that he made a bad hire. So, he largely failed as AD.

Don’t really get all the Fulmer hate. Yeah, he’s a proud dude. But he is a decent guy, and didn’t think he was bigger than the school. No one on this board wanted UT Football, and UT Sports, to be successful more than he did.

Donnan, Debose etc...ok.

Do you mean Mike DuBose? The guy who won an SEC championship at Bama? Also, you left out Stallings who won an NC at Bama and was beaten by Fulmer consecutive times there.
Back to the Glass Half Empty piss ants.. OK...

VN Store

Back