Fulmer’s Legacy at Tennessee

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
How will Phillip Fulmer and his lasting legacy to the University of Tennessee be remembered?

A lot of wins and 1998 is all anybody will remember.

Kind of like with Johnny Majors . . . he had an ugly end, but it wasn't long before all anybody remembered were the big wins.
I dunno if Majors end was THIS ugly lol

Reactions: beamerman
He has destroyed Tennessee football 3 times.
If you include the way Majors was pushed out.
His ending as AD isn’t pretty for sure. Majors pushed himself out and to claim otherwise is BS. I don’t think he destroyed Tenn football in 2008 either. We played for the SEC championship in 2007. No one has come close to his success even in the 2000’s sine and that’s with him being away from the program for 9 years. Can’t blame Kiffin, Dooley and Jones on him. If you want to blame Pruitt on him fine but you need to consider the sh@@ show he inherited.

His ending as AD isn’t pretty for sure. Majors pushed himself out and to claim otherwise is BS. I don’t think he destroyed Tenn football in 2008 either. We played for the SEC championship in 2007. No one has come close to his success even in the 2000’s sine and that’s with him being away from the program for 9 years. Can’t blame Kiffin, Dooley and Jones on him. If you want to blame Pruitt on him fine but you need to consider the sh@@ show he inherited.
Really sounds like you don’t hold him accountable for very much...give him his due and just ignore all the BS I suppose...as well as the sh@@show he just presided over.

He did hold it together in 98. That was great for certain. His run from 95 thru 98 was
also very good, but not stellar and that's it. He had a real nice run that gets over-stated.

He didn't recruit Peyton Manning. Watch the ESPN Biopic: Manning. David Cutcliffe inked him.
And, he backed into the '07 SEC CG after Florida and Georgia lost twice. Cutlciffe bailed him out
in '06 and they did not progress in '07. But, they won the bowl game in '07 to get to 10.

He had 2 conference titles. He couldn't beat Spurrier when it counted, and lost to him when it
didn't matter (05, 08), 5-9 all-time. Got jack hammered in '98 Orange Bowl by Osborne, started
then losing to Saban at LSU right off the bat, then onto Richt and then Meyer. That's about it for
him. Oh, this fiasco of course with Pruitt. He's no saint.

In a way, it's as dodgy as the Majors-Fulmer debacle. 50-50 at best. Like it or not, that's the facts.

**I did forget and was reminded his record versus Alabama was stellar when they had lame coaches.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back