Fuente To Baylor?

Ehh, leave nuance and critical thinking to the big boys. I'm sure there's a debate in meme form somewhere on here that's a little more at your level.
I’m going to need you to suck the oxygen out of the Eastern Hemisphere while I learn.

Reactions: SalVolinus
Jerry Kill headed from VT to TCU...nice to see him in good enough health to be able to still coach...he's not one of the 10 on field coaches but will hold senior position for one of his closest friends.. Gary Patterson

Given those same metrics, you would also conclude that Baylor is a better job than Tennessee then? After all, how long has it been since Tennessee has had a 10 win season? I don't remember the last time Boise State didn't have a 10 win season but they'd trade places with Vanderbilt in a second. You cherry picked ( and in some cases totally made up) some statements to make a (half-baked) argument. Why not bring up that Virginia Tech has been to 26 straight bowl games, while Baylor has only been to 25 bowls in 150 years? You also state that the ACC is a weaker conference than the Big12. I find this particularly amusing, seeing as the ACC has won national titles and high profile bowl games, while the Big12 just keeps losing their best programs to the SEC and B1G, while replacing them with mid-majors in TCU and West Virginia.

You make a lot of assumptions in your overall premise, and I'm not sure any of them pass the smell test as anything more than half truths, so here we go.

1.) For instance, you sort of blindly compare Houston/Dallas to Virginia (tidewater, Richmond, DMV) but you don't really mentioned that Virginia only has 2 power 5 schools and that Texas has 6, plus Houston, SMU, etc. Let's not forget that Oklahoma basically gets anyone from Texas they want as well. Baylor basically gets the leftovers of the leftovers of the leftovers in their own state, while VT is the premier program in theirs.

2.) Better facilities? Facilities rankings are pretty subjective, but VT has great facilities, and an infinitely more recognizable gameday experience. I couldn't find a single list that had Baylor listed as a facilities powerhouse, but many had Virginia Tech in the Top 25, such as
Power Ranking: The 25 Most Impressive Facilities in College Football

3.) Your "ease of recruiting" doesn't seem to hold much water either, as VT's 5 year recruiting average is at #29, while Baylor checks in at #36. In fact, Baylor has never broken the Top 25 in recruiting in their history. Virginia Tech has done so 4 times in the last 10 years. (247sports)

4.) You say Baylor has a larger fan base. That sort of blows my mind that anyone would think that unless they perhaps live in Waco. Virginia Tech enrolls 30,000 kids in Blacksburg, and is moving toward 50,000 over the next 5 years. Baylor's enrollment is at 17,000 - about half as many currently. I can honestly say I've never seen a Baylor fan in the flesh - but that's anecdotal - attendance figures don't lie. VT averages 62,000 per home game, compared to just over 40,000 for Baylor.

5.) More money available to hire a better staff, you say. Well, they both reported $9.9 million in total revenues this past year, but those are always bogus and manipulated for accounting purposes. However, the total money spent by Baylor on assistant coaches came in at a reported $1 million this year. Virginia Tech spent $3.7 million on their assistant coaches. If they have an enormous amount of cash, they surely aren't showing it.

So in addition to your assumptions being primarily incorrect, your overall conclusion is just a terrible take. Experts, as recently as this year, placed Baylor as the #42 job in the nation - while Virginia Tech came in at #26 - 16 spots better.
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-coaching-jobs-2019

This is a great analysis and you are correct on each point.

You should send this to Fuente with a note suggesting he should appreciate the job he has and, by the way, it might be nice if he could get out of his office and recruit a little bit. VT recruiting this year was abysmal.

Virginia Tech should hire Clemson DC Brent Venables as their next head football coach or UCF head football coach Josh Heupel
Brent Venables would be a great hire. He was one of my top candidates for UT when we hired CJP. But, he may be a career DC like Bud Foster. He also probably wants to stay at Clemson until his son graduates.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Some saying it isn't Fuente, possibly McGuire. Fuente could be doing what Gundy did with UT to get better facilities, offices..
VT has excellent facilities. Their indoor practice facility, aka the “Beamer Barn” is really nice. Training facilities are top notch. Stadium at 65k is not SEC size but provides a great game day experience.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
VT has excellent facilities. Their indoor practice facility, aka the “Beamer Barn” is really nice. Training facilities are top notch. Stadium at 65k is not SEC size but provides a great game day experience.
Vanderbilt stadium seats 40,000;)

Actually they're old now, nowhere near top 25 facilities

Y’all still got that buffalo burger joint?

Don't know, wasn't there when I left and I don't get back much. All we had then was the Route 8 Drive In when I lived there.

Why do people think that Fuente is so good. There are a lot of rumblings here in Va about him not being that guy that would carry on what Frank Beamer built. They are very average since he took over and he ran off a lot of players. Also hear of more kids wanting out. Since the Baylor story broke there has been no mention of VT trying to keep him? I find that very interesting. Because if he was loved by the fan base you better believe that they'd be making it known!

Why do people think that Fuente is so good. There are a lot of rumblings here in Va about him not being that guy that would carry on what Frank Beamer built. They are very average since he took over and he ran off a lot of players. Also hear of more kids wanting out. Since the Baylor story broke there has been no mention of VT trying to keep him? I find that very interesting. Because if he was loved by the fan base you better believe that they'd be making it known!

I never liked Beamer he's pretty much an a-hole but his players liked him. He let them get away with just about anything.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

VN Store

Back