Fuente To Baylor?

Baylor is in an average conference and the job isn’t as good as VTech. Would be a lateral move at best.

Best I can think is that it’s probably easier to make the playoff in the big12 since their teams are mediocre and baylor doesn’t play anyone difficult out of conference. So, 1 difficult game (OU) every year.

Reactions: VolnJC
Baylor is in an average conference and the job isn’t as good as VTech. Would be a lateral move at best.

Best I can think is that it’s probably easier to make the playoff in the big12 since their teams are mediocre and baylor doesn’t play anyone difficult out of conference. So, 1 difficult game (OU) every year.
The Big 12 is miles and miles better than the ACC.

Reactions: 05_never_again

At least the Big 12 has teams that can claim to be plausible competition to the conference's standard bearer. Baylor gave all Oklahoma they could handle twice this year and Texas, while an underachiever this year, went 1-1 against Oklahoma last year.

Who's the plausible competition in the ACC at the moment to Clemson?

Reactions: BUBear
vatican-black-smoke-pope.jpg

Coach has been hired. Press conference at 2:00 CST. New coach to be introduced to fans at halftime of the MBB game against Iowa State.

Reactions: VolnJC
Easier to recruit quality players to Baylor than VT due to larger recruiting base (Houston and Dallas), better facilities, larger fan base, more $$$ available to program so he can hire better staff. Baylor is a much better job than VT. In the last 8 years, Baylor, with three 11 wins seasons and one 10 win season has been more competitive in the Big 12 than VT in the ACC, in spite of having a 1 win season in the wake of the Briles scandal. VT has had one 10 win season in the last 8 years, in a weaker conference.

Given those same metrics, you would also conclude that Baylor is a better job than Tennessee then? After all, how long has it been since Tennessee has had a 10 win season? I don't remember the last time Boise State didn't have a 10 win season but they'd trade places with Vanderbilt in a second. You cherry picked ( and in some cases totally made up) some statements to make a (half-baked) argument. Why not bring up that Virginia Tech has been to 26 straight bowl games, while Baylor has only been to 25 bowls in 150 years? You also state that the ACC is a weaker conference than the Big12. I find this particularly amusing, seeing as the ACC has won national titles and high profile bowl games, while the Big12 just keeps losing their best programs to the SEC and B1G, while replacing them with mid-majors in TCU and West Virginia.

You make a lot of assumptions in your overall premise, and I'm not sure any of them pass the smell test as anything more than half truths, so here we go.

1.) For instance, you sort of blindly compare Houston/Dallas to Virginia (tidewater, Richmond, DMV) but you don't really mentioned that Virginia only has 2 power 5 schools and that Texas has 6, plus Houston, SMU, etc. Let's not forget that Oklahoma basically gets anyone from Texas they want as well. Baylor basically gets the leftovers of the leftovers of the leftovers in their own state, while VT is the premier program in theirs.

2.) Better facilities? Facilities rankings are pretty subjective, but VT has great facilities, and an infinitely more recognizable gameday experience. I couldn't find a single list that had Baylor listed as a facilities powerhouse, but many had Virginia Tech in the Top 25, such as
Power Ranking: The 25 Most Impressive Facilities in College Football

3.) Your "ease of recruiting" doesn't seem to hold much water either, as VT's 5 year recruiting average is at #29, while Baylor checks in at #36. In fact, Baylor has never broken the Top 25 in recruiting in their history. Virginia Tech has done so 4 times in the last 10 years. (247sports)

4.) You say Baylor has a larger fan base. That sort of blows my mind that anyone would think that unless they perhaps live in Waco. Virginia Tech enrolls 30,000 kids in Blacksburg, and is moving toward 50,000 over the next 5 years. Baylor's enrollment is at 17,000 - about half as many currently. I can honestly say I've never seen a Baylor fan in the flesh - but that's anecdotal - attendance figures don't lie. VT averages 62,000 per home game, compared to just over 40,000 for Baylor.

5.) More money available to hire a better staff, you say. Well, they both reported $9.9 million in total revenues this past year, but those are always bogus and manipulated for accounting purposes. However, the total money spent by Baylor on assistant coaches came in at a reported $1 million this year. Virginia Tech spent $3.7 million on their assistant coaches. If they have an enormous amount of cash, they surely aren't showing it.

So in addition to your assumptions being primarily incorrect, your overall conclusion is just a terrible take. Experts, as recently as this year, placed Baylor as the #42 job in the nation - while Virginia Tech came in at #26 - 16 spots better.
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-coaching-jobs-2019

Reactions: VAVol85
Better ... yes. Miles and miles ... not hardly. The Big 12 from top to bottom is pretty darn lousy too.

One conference has 3 teams that have combined to win 5 national titles in the last 20 years, and 2 of the last 4.

The other is the Big12, whose preeminent program hasn't won anything of importance since 2000, and also includes Kansas, and directional schools such as TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, West Virginia, Iowa State, (Baylor).

Yeah, what was the Big 12’s record in bowls this year? Who got their asses kicked by LSU? Who got their asses kicked by Georgia’s second and third team? Who puts the fewest players per school in the NFL of any power five conference?

VN Store

Back