Franklin

Look closer at his schedule during those 11 wins seasons

Last year they went 11-2 and they played 6 games vs top 25 teams, we played 3. Their losses were by 5 points to an 11 win Minnesota team that finished in the top 10, and by 6 points to an Ohio State team that would have beaten Tennessee by 45 points last year.

Last year they went 11-2 and they played 6 games vs top 25 teams, we played 3. Their losses were by 5 points to an 11 win Minnesota team that finished in the top 10, and by 6 points to an Ohio State team that would have beaten Tennessee by 45 points last year.
it was actually 11pts not 6 but look who they beat was my point. Not that impressive schedule. Although they did play a similar game against Indiana as Tennessee did

He i better than what we currently have that if for sure!!
You think losing to UK for the first time in 35 years is bad? Franklin lost to Temple, first time PSU lost to them since 1941.

A lot of these names bounced around here sound good until you look closer and they have their warts also. A lot of PSU fans were ready to move on from Franklin before this year.

Reactions: feathersax
it was actually 11pts not 6 but look who they beat was my point. Not that impressive schedule. Although they did play a similar game against Indiana as Tennessee did

My mistake on the Ohio State score.

At the end of the 2019 season Penn State had the 9th toughest schedule in the nation and was 5th toughest among teams that won 11 or more games. I'm really not sure how it can be spun that they played a weak schedule to get to those 11 wins.

You think losing to UK for the first time in 35 years is bad? Franklin lost to Temple, first time PSU lost to them since 1941.

A lot of these names bounced around here sound good until you look closer and they have their warts also. A lot of PSU fans were ready to move on from Franklin before this year.

Well that Temple team went 10-4 and their coach Matt Rhule is a damn good coach and now a head coach in the NFL!

That team was suffering from the fallout of the JoePa/Sandusky era still. They managed to win 11 games, win the Big 10 title after beating Ohio State and Wisconsin, and go to the Rose Bowl the following season.

I loathe Franklin but man, it's laughable to act like we wouldn't kill to have the success he has at Penn State in Knoxville. Even with their terrible start this year at 0-4, at least they've been generally competitive in their 4 losses and it can be somewhat explained since they had to replace 4 assistant coaches in a year without much practice time, and also lost their best offensive player to a heart condition and best defensive player to covid holdout just before the season started.

Reactions: 08Vol
Here’s a question for you. Would you trade Pruitt for Harbaugh?
That’s a great question. I imagine the folks at Michigan aren’t second guessing the hire despite the results. It seemed like a great hire for them at the time. Whereas hiring CP was not so obvious. Much easier to question our hire than Michigan’s.

Didn’t want to start a new thread on this and this one seems to currently be the most discussed “Freeze thread “ even though RV77 titled it “Franklin“ but I have a question / observation that I have not seen addressed yet.

Everybody knows that Jimmy Sexton is probably the most prominent agent out there . Everybody probably also knows that JS represents Hugh Freeze . I’m not sure who represents James Franklin but that isn’t really relative to this question / possible item of discussion and or speculation.

Jimmy Sexton is a UT alum , former football team manager and his first client was Reggie White in 1984. He has represented Fulmer , Kiffin , Dooley , Jones (for at least one season ) & I’m not sure about Pruitt but I would say there is a good chance he is. I know that a lot on here are not big fans of Jimmy Sexton because he puts business over his allegiance to UT but it’s obviously made him a very wealthy and powerful man.

All that for this :
Does anybody know if Fulmer and Sexton are still friendly? Does anyone have any thoughts on how this could potentially help or hurt Freezes chances of being contacted by UT indirectly through Freeze about a potential job opening ? Basically any thoughts on how Sexton could get word to Fulmer or vice versa about interest in a potential UT job opening ?

Reactions: preacherwebb
Didn’t want to start a new thread on this and this one seems to currently be the most discussed “Freeze thread “ even though RV77 titled it “Franklin“ but I have a question / observation that I have not seen addressed yet.

Everybody knows that Jimmy Sexton is probably the most prominent agent out there . Everybody probably also knows that JS represents Hugh Freeze . I’m not sure who represents James Franklin but that isn’t really relative to this question / possible item of discussion and or speculation.

Jimmy Sexton is a UT alum , former football team manager and his first client was Reggie White in 1984. He has represented Fulmer , Kiffin , Dooley , Jones (for at least one season ) & I’m not sure about Pruitt but I would say there is a good chance he is. I know that a lot on here are not big fans of Jimmy Sexton because he puts business over his allegiance to UT but it’s obviously made him a very wealthy and powerful man.

All that for this :
Does anybody know if Fulmer and Sexton are still friendly? Does anyone have any thoughts on how this could potentially help or hurt Freezes chances of being contacted by UT indirectly through Freeze about a potential job opening ? Basically any thoughts on how Sexton could get word to Fulmer or vice versa about interest in a potential UT job opening ?

Well, Sexton took Phil to the absolute cleaners on Pruitt's current contract, which may or may not have a way to off-set buyout money if he takes a job, and Fulmer also extended him coming off a year with the worst home loss of the modern era and absolutely 0 pressure that Pruitt would get a sniff at another job. That has now made Pruitt's buyout over 12 million dollars.

Harbaugh has been mentioned in this thread a few times. Harbaugh is 150-67-1 in his career as a head coach. He's been to two NFC Championship games, the Super Bowl and has won 10+ games 6 times as a college coach. Care to guess what his buyout is if he's fired on December 1st 2020? 6.3 million dollars.

So if I were guessing, Sexton loves Phil. He's made Jimmy a bunch of easy money.

You conveniently forgot to mention the Georgia State game and BYU game and this year Kentucky and Arkansas. We blew a 13-0 lead at half against Arkansas and not only did we lose to Kentucky at home but we was dominated by Kentucky.

You conveniently forgot to mention the Georgia State game and BYU game and this year Kentucky and Arkansas. We blew a 13-0 lead at half against Arkansas and not only did we lose to Kentucky at home but we was dominated by Kentucky.
No I didn't. I was just pointing out losing to UK for the first time in 35 years is not as bad as losing to Temple for the first time in 74 years. At least to me, maybe you disagree.

Well, Sexton took Phil to the absolute cleaners on Pruitt's current contract, which may or may not have a way to off-set buyout money if he takes a job, and Fulmer also extended him coming off a year with the worst home loss of the modern era and absolutely 0 pressure that Pruitt would get a sniff at another job. That has now made Pruitt's buyout over 12 million dollars.

Harbaugh has been mentioned in this thread a few times. Harbaugh is 150-67-1 in his career as a head coach. He's been to two NFC Championship games, the Super Bowl and has won 10+ games 6 times as a college coach. Care to guess what his buyout is if he's fired on December 1st 2020? 6.3 million dollars.

So if I were guessing, Sexton loves Phil. He's made Jimmy a bunch of easy money.
good / informative points . It is easy to see how / why Sexton loves Phil . I guess my question & invitation for input was more along the lines of does Fulmer love Jimmy? (lol that felt weird typing out 🥴). Does Fulmer hate Jimmy (equally weird ) I know Fulmer is usually all for Fulmer so even if he has grown to despise the man would their be an opportunity for Fulmer to somehow personally profit by brokering a Freeze to the hill deal? Conversely does anybody have any thoughts or even I dare say knowledge on how Fulmer &Sextons past relationship could have any impact on this sort of thing , be it positive or negative ? Any insiders been hanging at the Shoneys with Jimmy and Phil?

VN Store

Back