Four game suspension for Vitello

Ok just my 10 cents ..as ex college umpire .friday started the whole snowball effect ..blue was consistent ill say .he was consistently low ..his zone bounced a lil and when tony tried to come out and argue balls and strikes he sealed his fate .so in the rotation friday nights plate takes3rd next game .and blue took the field Saturday looking for the trouble ..to dump vitello that quick was horrible ..we wont mention the call at 2nd on sunday it was a mercy call..but this dude needs be reviewed and suspended as well ..

Fwiw, on the pregame with Wilkerson, Vitello mentioned two things that set them off.

First, there was some pitch tipping going on from their 3B coach (who was way out of the box), then there was some chirping from the Bama dugout while Dollander was down that had them mad.

Insert Little Lord Micro Peen into the fray and you get what we got.

Edit: Better wording.

Last edited:
You may not completely understand what happened. It wasn't just stepping out. He stepped out AFTER Dolly had started his delivery. That is an automatic strike call, per the rules book, but the ump didn't call that. We aren't discussing mere game pace slow down step outs.

It’s not an automatic strike. It’s just another pitch which can be a strike or a ball.

If Macias is the home plate umpire for any of our upcoming games, I hope Russell and our pitchers really focus on their signs. It would be terrible if Russell completely missed six or eight fastballs because he was expecting a slider.
With Joyce gassing it up in there at 104

b� A batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to the set position or starts the windup unless permission is granted by the umpire�
Note: Umpires may grant a batter’s request for “Time” once the batter is in the batter’s box, but the umpire should only do so for legitimate reasons. Coaches shall not be allowed to argue when an umpire refuses to grant time to a batter per Rule 7-1-b. The penalty is a warning, then an ejection.
PENALTY for b —If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “ball” or “strike,” as the case may be. The batter leaves the batter’s box at the risk of having a strike delivered, unless “Time” is requested and granted from the umpire. If the pitch is made, the ball is live.
c� If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during the time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike� The ball shall remain live� The batter is declared out after the third strike�

Straight from the rule book.

b� A batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to the set position or starts the windup unless permission is granted by the umpire�
Note: Umpires may grant a batter’s request for “Time” once the batter is in the batter’s box, but the umpire should only do so for legitimate reasons. Coaches shall not be allowed to argue when an umpire refuses to grant time to a batter per Rule 7-1-b. The penalty is a warning, then an ejection.
PENALTY for b —If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “ball” or “strike,” as the case may be. The batter leaves the batter’s box at the risk of having a strike delivered, unless “Time” is requested and granted from the umpire. If the pitch is made, the ball is live.
c� If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during the time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike� The ball shall remain live� The batter is declared out after the third strike�

Straight from the rule book.
Hmmmm...this is most assuredly not what they said on the broadcast. Of course, they could be wrong but it was mentioned multiple times that Anderson was arguing it was a by-rule strike.

TV deserves the punishment. Period. The umps behavior during the two nights should also have the appropriate punishment and we will now see what AD White is made of. It is now his job to make it clear to SEC that the ump must be punished for his incompetent abilities exhibited over two nights and the way he escalated the situation.

After seeing how DW handled Omar Payne elbowing Fulkerson I wouldn’t expect much of anything.

You may not completely understand what happened. It wasn't just stepping out. He stepped out AFTER Dolly had started his delivery. That is an automatic strike call, per the rules book, but the ump didn't call that. We aren't discussing mere game pace slow down step outs.
Could it be the ump granted time out before the batter stepped out and before Dolly started his delivery?

We all agree that umps/officiating have been awful in baseball and all sports for the last few seasons especially here in the SEC. With that said oh it's NEVER okay to bump a ump or referee in ANY situation. This wasn't even one of those questionable/accidental ones so I'm okay with whatever suspension Coach received in this situation. We all LOVE Coach but no need for this crap at UT or anywhere....now let's get past it just like we have everything else and go win a NC!

Upon further review, the ump has been called for a blocking foul after trying to draw a charge on CTV. His feet were still moving.

Reactions: patrick
Have we heard anything from Coach V since he got tossed?
Evidently he did a pregame with Wilkerson prior to yesterdays games, I missed it. However, I believe he said the whole commotion on Saturday was because Bohannon was tipping pitches at 3rd and the cheering from Bama’s dugout when Doe got hurt. I’m speculating here but Tony was standing up for Frank, that’s why he went off. Frank was standing up for Doe and Tony standing up for Frank…..had nothing to do with the batters box stuff that folks have been posting

Evidently he did a pregame with Wilkerson prior to yesterdays games, I missed it. However, I believe he said the whole commotion on Saturday was because Bohannon was tipping pitches at 3rd and the cheering from Bama’s dugout when Doe got hurt. I’m speculating here but Tony was standing up for Frank, that’s why he went off. Frank was standing up for Doe and Tony standing up for Frank…..had nothing to do with the batters box stuff that folks have been posting

Thanks.

He seems to be taking a different approach to this suspension.

I guess there will be no lemonaide on Tuesday.

yea, tipping pitches and that's why the batter wanted time....He wanted the info for the next pitch..... tipping pitches when you are in the coaches box is on us but positioning outside the box is on them and not the way you play the game....And for a Coach to NOT want the opposing team to be able to set on pitches, I Get.... Hitting is a lot easier when you know what's coming....go back and watch the Video.... FA came up off his seat when He caught them Tipping signs... So yes , i'd be bad upset as well.... Tells me that Bama knew they didn't have much of a chance , straight up.... Teams are like , It isn't fair that they have all those arms..... I love it too.... Our Pitching is Legit.....And this line up will get you.... We have a couple guys that are Due for some Big games!!

VN Store

Back