For those still on the fence about Jones....

Yes, because of you personally posting on an internet forum.

Please quote instances where I, personally, "kicked and screamed like a 12 year old girl" otherwise kindly shut up.

Now, back to the point being discussed, Dooley was fired not only because his product on the field was trash and the administration could see it, but the fan base had RIGHTFULLY SO turned on him.

Reactions: 5 people
Six wins: barring catastrophic injuries, is completely unacceptable with our level of talent.
Seven wins: the gnashing of teeth and grumbling begins in earnest on VolNation.
Eight wins: my expectation for the regular season, with a possibility of nine after a solid bowl game. Solid season in my mind, given the last 8 years. This is my magic number.
Nine wins: possibility of winning the SEC East, if the losses fall right. A fantastic year for our Vols.
Ten wins or higher: Coach Jones is an easy nominee for Coach of the Year, and should immediately be given an extension and raise.

I'm already on board the wagon. Beating Florida is imperative in all of these scenarios, unless Florida has a weird season and wins the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Six wins: barring catastrophic injuries, is completely unacceptable with our level of talent.
Seven wins: the gnashing of teeth and grumbling begins in earnest on VolNation.
Eight wins: my expectation for the regular season, with a possibility of nine after a solid bowl game. Solid season in my mind, given the last 8 years. This is my magic number.
Nine wins: possibility of winning the SEC East, if the losses fall right. A fantastic year for our Vols.
Ten wins or higher: Coach Jones is an easy nominee for Coach of the Year, and should immediately be given an extension and raise.

I'm already on board the wagon. Beating Florida is imperative in all of these scenarios, unless Florida has a weird season and wins the SEC.

Solid post - nearly verbatim to my thoughts above. BUT check out my previous post in this thread regarding the Florida game. I'm with you, we HAVE to beat them but there is one acceptable scenario if we do lose to them but still get to 8-9 wins on the season.

Reactions: 1 person
Please quote instances where I, personally, "kicked and screamed like a 12 year old girl" otherwise kindly shut up.

Now, back to the point being discussed, Dooley was fired not only because his product on the field was trash and the administration could see it, but the fan base had RIGHTFULLY SO turned on him.

Another internet tough guy telling people to shut up, lol. Ok Poindexter, I'll grant you your wish. Please continue to rehash the "Dooley Adminstration", kinda over it myself.

He has proven he can recruit the jimmy's and Joe's, now he just needs to flex his knowledge of X's and O's with some WINS baby.

Apparently some can't grasp this. Its the only thing that matters at the end of the day. If we're not expecting a big win by year 3, then wth should we expect about the program overall?

Reactions: 5 people
The difference between a successful coach and a failure can be how well they keep their team healthy and how well they do in close games. It isn't two games. It is 3 seasons.

Jordy Nelson tore his ACL turning up field. I don't blame McCarthy.

Another internet tough guy telling people to shut up, lol. Ok Poindexter, I'll grant you your wish. Please continue to rehash the "Dooley Adminstration", kinda over it myself.

Not an Internet tough guy, just asking you to put your money where your mouth is. Quote where I've kicked and screamed like a 12 year old girl, as you put it.

Another "what does CBJ need to do to make ME happy" post. Awesome. Support the coach until he's not the coach. Get out of his way and let him do his job. If he does not do his job, find someone who does.
So how do YOU determine whether he's doing his job if not by the progress he makes in W's?

OR, let's put an arbitrary number of wins up on my expectations list, then piss and moan to the high heavens when MY expectations are not met. 'Cause after all, it is all about ME.

But this post isn't about YOU being offended by people discussing their expectations?

Reactions: 2 people
Because kicking your feet and screaming like a 12 year old girl is so effective.

So it constitutes "kicking your feet and screaming like a 12 year old girl" when you expect a new TV to work as advertised? In some small or great way, we ALL are "buying" Jones right now when we watch games, buy UT gear, or even raise his profile by posting here.

In fan driven sports, fans have a right to expectations.

Reactions: 3 people
Jordy Nelson tore his ACL turning up field. I don't blame McCarthy.

You need to get your head out of the sand. It isn't "blame"... it is "responsibility". When Jones or any other coach signs, their contract summed up says "I'm responsible".... I'll find ways to get players, keep them eligible, keep them healthy, and win games with them.

How long do you think a coach should be able to use "We're young and thin and have too many injuries" as an excuse? Five years? Ten? Forever?

In complete disclosure, I am finding those "reasons" progressively more stale. Jones has done some things well. Two things he has not done well that appear to be hampering his building of the program right now are attrition and injuries. It really doesn't matter how good the players are that you sign and develop if you can't get them to the field. And that IS a coach's RESPONSIBILITY.

If you're on the fence with this staff then you're either blind, dumb or don't know football. He's already made this program light years better than he found it.

This is a little over the top but the DeBord hire already looks better than it did six months ago. We are recruiting QB's better than we have in 20 years and I do expect to see more confidence shown in Dobbs this year throwing down the field and more creativity on first down than we saw under Bajakian. I really don't think anyone on VN will be owning up to those 'swimming coach' jokes by mid-season.

If you're on the fence with this staff then you're either blind, dumb or don't know football. He's already made this program light years better than he found it.

Success is measured in wins and losses. I think the subject now in this thread is whether a season where Jones basically treads water in that measure would be good enough.

A team is only as good as its record ultimately.

This is a little over the top but the DeBord hire already looks better than it did six months ago. We are recruiting QB's better than we have in 20 years and I do expect to see more confidence shown in Dobbs this year throwing down the field and more creativity on first down than we saw under Bajakian. I really don't think anyone on VN will be owning up to those 'swimming coach' jokes by mid-season.

I didn't know much about Debord other than it seemed like the best hire from a continuity of our offensive system standpoint, but upgrading from Bajakian isn't hard to do. I don't think the guy was necessarily an idiot but I don't think he was an SEC caliber OC.

You need to get your head out of the sand. It isn't "blame"... it is "responsibility". When Jones or any other coach signs, their contract summed up says "I'm responsible".... I'll find ways to get players, keep them eligible, keep them healthy, and win games with them.

How long do you think a coach should be able to use "We're young and thin and have too many injuries" as an excuse? Five years? Ten? Forever?

In complete disclosure, I am finding those "reasons" progressively more stale. Jones has done some things well. Two things he has not done well that appear to be hampering his building of the program right now are attrition and injuries. It really doesn't matter how good the players are that you sign and develop if you can't get them to the field. And that IS a coach's RESPONSIBILITY.
I don't understand how a coach can be responsible because a player gets injured. He can however recruit depth so the next guy up can fill in when a player is injured.

I don't understand how a coach can be responsible because a player gets injured. He can however recruit depth so the next guy up can fill in when a player is injured.

That's what he's saying. The coach is responsible for having quality depth at the position so that when an injury occurs, our chances of winning are not severely impacted. See Ohio state last year

dude chill

I'm just saying that I'm 100% on board with the Tennessee head football coach and that if we start 2-2, I'm not automatically going to think he's worthless and can't be successful.

I didn't know much about Debord other than it seemed like the best hire from a continuity of our offensive system standpoint, but upgrading from Bajakian isn't hard to do. I don't think the guy was necessarily an idiot but I don't think he was an SEC caliber OC.
I'm leaning toward idiot personally.

VN Store

Back