For those still on the fence about Jones....

I have never been on the fence about Butch's coaching ability. I know he can coach. With the lack of talent he has had to work with, you name me one coach who could of done better. When Dooley left us in that mess no big name coach wanted to come here and put up with the crap fans give out when trying to build a program back up. Butch wanted to come here and we got lucky when we got him. The wins will come you will see. He is bringing in elite talent to Tennessee.

I can think of 4 off the top of my head....Saban, Meyer, Pinkel and Snyder. Sure there are others.

Reactions: 1 person
I have never been on the fence about Butch's coaching ability. I know he can coach. With the lack of talent he has had to work with, you name me one coach who could of done better. When Dooley left us in that mess no big name coach wanted to come here and put up with the crap fans give out when trying to build a program back up. Butch wanted to come here and we got lucky when we got him. The wins will come you will see. He is bringing in elite talent to Tennessee.

I have no doubt about the talent, I agree completely on that part. To say that his coaching ability against the elite in the conference is good at this point is false, though. I'll be fully on board when the victories start piling up. Results/wins are what matters.

Reactions: 2 people
How did Year 2 go for Saban at Alabama?

Hopefully the same way year 4 or 5 goes for Butch. Point is, he's lost games he should have won. All you Saban slobberers need to turn in your fan card. Geez.
"You see, he's not a machine, he's a man!"

Last edited:
I'll be hard pressed to believe in CBJ if we lose to UF. We really need to beat them to take the proverbial next step. Otherwise, I'll be skeptical.

Right now, I'm pleasantly surprised with recruiting and how coach Jones represents UT. The team plays hard and seems well coached overall ... showing improvement steadily.

I'm on board, splurged for 2 trips to games for this season, and am really excited. If we beat UF, I'd be all in. We lose to UF, I'm on the fence.

I guess I said all that to say this ... gotta get over the hump and beat Florida.

Hopefully the same way year 4 or 5 goes for Butch. Point is, he's lost games he should have won. All you Saban slobberers need to turn in your fan card. Geez.

The fact that he's lost games he should have won doesn't mean he couldn't have done any better here than Butch has. It doesn't mean he would have gone for a terrible challenge against Mizzou that made it impossible for us to get the ball back. Yet, "no one else could have done better, Butch has been 100% perfect" is the rationale I keep seeing here, over and over and over.

The fact that he's lost games he should have won doesn't mean he couldn't have done any better here than Butch has. It doesn't mean he would have gone for a terrible challenge against Mizzou that made it impossible for us to get the ball back. Yet, "no one else could have done better, Butch has been 100% perfect" is the rationale I keep seeing here, over and over and over.

He's definately not perfect. Damn sure good enough for me though.

You can also judge a rebuild. Laying the foundation is part of it and he's doing a helluva job thus far.

"Thus far" isn't enough to say he's "good enough" or done a good job. Thus far he's done many things that look good. But he hasn't won games.

The only way to judge a rebuild is its results. "So far" we haven't seen them. There's reason to have hope but there are still reasons to have doubts as well.

Right, because we all know a coach can, on any given play, keep a player from getting injured.

Not on "any given play". But teams in the NFL and CFB have performed studies and have adopted methods to minimize injuries while getting effective practice.

Jones CAN make some adjustments to reduce injuries. That is a FACT... not my opinion. Not conjecture.

I mentioned 4 coaches and you singled out 1 game from Saban's first year at Bama...lol. I couldn't give 2 Shiites about Saban or the other 3....just accurately answered the guy's question.

I HATE that these guys do this. If you aren't a Kool-Aid drinking puritan for Jones then you are the devil who wants him to fail... There's no one here that wants Jones to succeed any more than those of us who acknowledge that Jones has not really proven he can win yet and recognize problems as they arise.

I want the guy to solve every problem and win every game... but he hasn't yet.

Reactions: 4 people
If Butch continues to recruit as well as he has even the worst coach should be able to win, no?

Depends on if they stay in the program and stay healthy.

And I'd add that IMO, it would not have taken anything better than an "average" coach to win 8 games this year vs this schedule with this roster.

Last edited:
Needs significant win(s) THIS year...

Still expecting only 7 -5...8 - 4 if he gets one of those "wins"...

Needs significant win(s) THIS year...

Still expecting only 7 -5...8 - 4 if he gets one of those "wins"...

By that do you mean that you do not think Jones is a good coach? Sounds like it if you expect no "significant" wins.

I will be one the fence in 2016.. I consider this year a "year two" for Coach Jones.

Here is my reasoning for this.. Coach Jones first season was with a team that the mindset and culture was terrible.. A cancer from the years prior.. Changing a "mindset" don't happen overnight.. Doesn't matter how talented a team is. It was just that bad.. Then factor in depth and talent along with conditioning of the team.. Well.. Throw out year one..

So, this year.. I want to beat everyone.. That is a given, but I like where our program is headed and on paper, Coach Jones seems to be making a difference in all aspects.

This year, play all teams tough, beat Florida and Georgia and win a bowl game is what I would like to see.. If it doesn't happen, my view of Coach Jones hasn't changed, 2016 is the year I start getting figgitty..

Unless it's a disaster year.. Then this post is all null and void :)

VN Store

Back