Florida recruiting - yikes

Yeah you guys need to focus.
I have wondered if the money men are unhappy with the new coach hire.
That would be a simple explanation to the dismal class.
No coach lasts long without boosters buying paying players.
What say you, you belly dragging lizard?

I have wondered if the money men are unhappy with the new coach hire.
That would be a simple explanation to the dismal class.
No coach lasts long without boosters buying paying players.
What say you, you belly dragging lizard?

Your post implies Mullen had a much better ESD class committed and Napier came in and screwed that up.

Mullen didn’t care enough about recruiting to have organized bag men like Bama or UGA (pre-NIL of course).

Nowhere to go but up.

Seriously, your thoughts on Napier's foundation this early? Seems like his focus is going to be offensive line and defensive secondary.

Wise, imo.

I’m just trolling those celebrating the demise of UF football based on a transitional early signing class with a coach who’s been there for less than two months.

At last glance, 247 had our overall class ranked #14, factoring in recruits and the transfer portal.

Based on some legit sources, I expect us to keep rising due to adding a few more coveted targets...some committed elsewhere and others from the portal.

Napier got my attention beating out UGA for a kid from IMG. That’s Haley’s Comet stuff. If we get a recruiting pipeline there, look out.

2-10 worst case.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawgator1
No they did not but their time in the NFL did happen and you have to factor that into their coaching experience. You can’t just forget about it and pretend like it never happened. Paul Brown, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Tom Coughlin all had success in both college and NFL. Why couldn’t Saban, Spurrier, and Meyer do the same?

Not every coach is cut out for both leagues. It could be argued that if Miamis medical staff didn’t fail Brees, things could have been different. Both leagues are completely different. And no you can separate them both from experience. The reason you can is the vast differences between them.

Saban is the unquestioned GOAT of college football. The fact that he didn’t pan out in the NFL means absolutely nothing when talking about his college success.

Not every coach is cut out for both leagues. It could be argued that if Miamis medical staff didn’t fail Brees, things could have been different. Both leagues are completely different. And no you can separate them both from experience. The reason you can is the vast differences between them.

Saban is the unquestioned GOAT of college football. The fact that he didn’t pan out in the NFL means absolutely nothing when talking about his college success.
He’s the GOAT head coach in college football but couldn’t figure out how to stop an offense led by Stetson Bennett?

He’s the GOAT head coach in college football but couldn’t figure out how to stop an offense led by Stetson Bennett?

Yes. Even the best lose. He also is one of a very select few coaches who can say he held Tom Brady score less.

Please name the coach that has the better resume in college football.

Yes. Even the best lose. He also is one of a very select few coaches who can say he held Tom Brady score less.

Please name the coach that has the better resume in college football.
Short answer is yes.

Long answer is still yes.
How many teams figured out how to stop Stetson Bennett this year?

GOAT doesnt mean perfect.
How can Bill Belichick have a 14-2 team that loses at home in the playoffs to Mark Sanchez? Because it’s sports and sh*t happens.

Neyland was better.

Take 6 years away from Saban’s coaching prime and get back to me.

Provide the evidence that Neyland was better. Even taking away Sabans 6 NC winning seasons, he still has a NC with another team. What other team did Neyland take from nothing to a NC winning team? Neyland was 2-5 in bowl games. How many bowl games has Saban won?

Your failure is epic.

Last edited:
Provide the evidence that Neyland was better. Even taking away Sabans 6 NC winning seasons, he still has a NC with another team. What other team did Neyland take from nothing to a NC winning team? Neyland was 2-5 in bowl games. How many bowl games has Saban won?

Your failure is epic.
Not as epic as a “Vols fan” planting his flag on Gump Hill. Neyland took 5 consecutive years off from coaching for the military, then I don’t know…came back and won two more national championships. If he had those 6 total missed years back there’s no telling how many more championships he would’ve won. Can you name another coach that can take 5 years off and come back and win more championships? It’s absurd that he didn’t allow the game to pass him by during that period and still won. People don’t realize how great that man was and it’s truly sad.

Provide the evidence that Neyland was better. Even taking away Sabans 6 NC winning seasons, he still has a NC with another team. What other team did Neyland take from nothing to a NC winning team? Neyland was 2-5 in bowl games. How many bowl games has Saban won?.

Let's stop with these historical arguments. There's simply no comparison between coaching CFB in 1940 and 2022.

Neyland was 2-5 in bowl games, yes, but his losses were to #3, #5, #3, #10, and #10. Back then, you didn't even make a bowl game unless you were a top 10'ish type team.

Neyland had the best 5 years of his career taken away from him by World War 2. And came back and immediately made Tennessee a top 10 team again in 1 year.

Neyland played at a signfiicant talent disadvantage to places like Michigan, Notre Dame, and USC. Neyland couldn't go to California, Florida, Texas, and Ohio to recruit #1 classes. You mostly competed with local back then. Just take a look at Heisman Trophy winners before 1965; most of them played within 200 miles of where they went to high school. Now, that's rare.

Saban is the GOAT of the modern era, but he wouldn't be able to rely on his overwhelming talent advantage in 1940. If you put Saban back in 1940 at Alabama, Neyland would likely destroy him every year. The game was completely about talent development, scheme, and playcalling back then; not recruiting. If you put Neyland in 2021 at Tennessee, he'd probably struggle to recruit on the same level as Saban and get beat by him.

It's apples to oranges people. Coaching CFB has been radically different in different eras. We are now in an era of concentrated talent that couldn't exist in 1910, 1940, 1960, 1980, or even 1995. We can say Saban is the GOAT of the modern era. We have no clue how he would've fared in an era before nationalized recruiting. He's won every national title with an overwhelming talent advantage that a lot of historical coaches simply never would've had the ability to replicate.

Last edited:
This whole Saban-Neyland discussion has been an entertaining diversion from the topic at hand.

Factoring in HS recruits and transfers, UF’s recruiting class is now #14 overall on 247.

Napier is putting in work without a complete staff.

Feel free to discuss…or not. 😁

This whole Saban-Neyland discussion has been an entertaining diversion from the topic at hand.

Factoring in HS recruits and transfers, UF’s recruiting class is now #14 overall on 247.

Should you be beating your chest over the transfer portal? Seems like that was one of your main complaints for Mullen.

I know your going to point out a it's a different circumstance, but it seems like you are double dipping

Reactions: Nooga
It’s pretty pointless really. We won’t have that pudding fully eaten for 2 or 3 years.
if you’re that guy who has to say “just wait til next year!” 30 times on a forum, everybody is gonna think you’re a dumbass, aren’t they? I would.

Should you be beating your chest over the transfer portal? Seems like that was one of your main complaints for Mullen.

I know your going to point out a it's a different circumstance, but it seems like you are double dipping

It’s a completely different animal now.

Mullen’s best recruits came from the portal before other coaches caught on to its value, and before NIL with kids looking to jump to a better opportunity, even if they’re already in a good situation.

The portal is out of control now. More kids are weighing their options and coaches are more focused on it now than ever, because they have to be.

Last edited:

I’m sure it feels good to be climbing the ranks but much like Tennessee if Florida does not find millions to hand out they too will be sucking hind tit to the “new” system.

I just checked and Florida is number 36 in the composite ranking. Still though, they have 12 recruits with six 4 stars and one 5 star. Tennessee has seven 4 stars. We are even in the number of blue chip recruits and Florida has a lot of room left, although I do not know how many blue chippers are still available. To add to this I want to point out that I hate the Florida Gators and wish them only bad luck.

VN Store

Back