‘23 FL RB Mark Fletcher (OSU Decommit)

If you read a little more closely, the post I was replying to postulated that Miami and UF should be ahead of us because they had all of that talent in Florida right in their backyard. So I referenced two teams that are recruiting well that aren't geographically close to Florida. Reading comprehension is your friend.

You might need to focus on some math skills yourself. Even if half of the 4-5 stars in FL every year get out of state, there are still 35-40 are still there for the taking. It is not a guarantee, but it is absolutely an advantage. I am not a blind follow the stars guy, but last I looked a week or so ago the high rated FL class, was heavy on instate guys, BUT they did not have any from the top 10 and only 2 in the top 25. When they start dominating the top of their classes the rise will be easier. I think too many people take the stars as ceilings on ability, my take is more about time to achieve the ceiling and probability of becoming a game changer. The biggest validation tool for HS star rankings is the NFL draft and they do not correlate all that well with the number of 2-3 stars beating out the 4 stars for those 250 top spots each year.

You would think cobbling together the top offense and being in contention for the playoffs...in year two in a program burnt to the ground by Beldar Cornbread...would convince people that Heupel knows how to build a team, with or without fan-friendly recruiting site metrics.

But then, many have never met the people on VN.

What are you smoking? We are about to land a 5 star d-lineman and a 4 star JUCO D-lineman. We are on a 4 star linebacker that we are battling Bama for. We have a 230 lb bowling ball coming in at RB. And we need big time help at RB? Do you even watch the games. Currently we have 3 very capable backs that have proven it at the college level. Are you sure you are on the right team board and you’re not a Vandy fan or something?

3 very capable backs? Maybe 1. The other 2 aren't top level SEC backs. Sorry, but you are simply wrong. Ya'll must be awfully young and don't remember when UT had REAL talent. I couldn't imagine what CJH could've done with that '01 group or the '95 group.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Yep. Thanks for the assist.

Coaches develop recruiting profiles. All at least give some lip service to only recruiting players that are solid student-athletes and culture fits. This staff seems to have walked away from some players because they didn't think they were as talented as advertised. Others it looks like they saw other problems.

The attrition and non-contributors from Jones' classes was staggering. Some weren't as talented as their rankings suggested. Some had character and behavior issues. Some were either not coachable or else not a fit with that staff. But with one eye on the "image" achieved by having a highly rated class... Jones signed a lot of duds.
I agree. If you look back on many of Tns “successful” recruiting classes you’ll find that many of the recruits weren’t with the team the following year for one reason or another. If you get 14 4* recruits and only 4 or 5 of them make a significant contribution to the team, then it is not a good class.
There should be service that tracks a recruiting class two years later.

#recruits starting divided by #recruits recruited equals the recruiting success index.

Pardon the neardiness.

Reactions: sjt18 and KptVFL
You guys can talk about 5*, 4*, top 10
team recruiting classes and NIL's all you want. TCU is still rank no. 4 right now without any of the things you'll are discussing. GBO!

Well…..

The SEC should just play their season and crown the SECC National Champions.

Nobody else is deserving. :rolleyes:

Sure and any convo about the playoffs is interesting. For instance, did you know TCU has the 32nd most talented roster (according to 247). Their opponents this season:

Colorado - 63rd
Tarleton St - ? (1 millionth, idk)
SMU - 56th
OU - 9th
Kansas - 71st
OK St - 40th
K State - 70th
WVU - 43rd
Texas Tech - 45th
Texas - 6th

Vols (19th most talented) have played 4 teams in the top 12 of these rankings, including UGA and Bama (1 & 2). After this weekend, will have played 5 within the top 20, 6 within the top 26, 7 within the top 31

Last edited:
Work
You might need to focus on some math skills yourself. Even if half of the 4-5 stars in FL every year get out of state, there are still 35-40 are still there for the taking. It is not a guarantee, but it is absolutely an advantage. I am not a blind follow the stars guy, but last I looked a week or so ago the high rated FL class, was heavy on instate guys, BUT they did not have any from the top 10 and only 2 in the top 25. When they start dominating the top of their classes the rise will be easier. I think too many people take the stars as ceilings on ability, my take is more about time to achieve the ceiling and probability of becoming a game changer. The biggest validation tool for HS star rankings is the NFL draft and they do not correlate all that well with the number of 2-3 stars beating out the 4 stars for those 250 top spots each year.
Work on grammar and logic and then you can critique my math. Also, the myth that star rankings don’t correlate to draft likelihood has been disproven - there are threads on this board that break it down. Read.

They aren’t in the SEC and are in one of the worst conferences. They don’t have to have top tier talent there.
I’m glad we are playing South Carolina this weekend rather than TCU. They look hungry and focused.

All this debate because a few "Johnny come lately" types show up in the recruiting forum, while we watch a 2* WR catch touchdowns from a 3* QB against the Titans. 😂 Because stars blah, blah, blah.
I admit I’m a “Johnny come lately”, but I’m one of the better “Johnny come latelys”. With a good coaching staff I have the potential to be a real “Johnny come… on time”

Work

Work on grammar and logic and then you can critique my math. Also, the myth that star rankings don’t correlate to draft likelihood has been disproven - there are threads on this board that break it down. Read.

What I have seen is there are 250 to 300 4-5 stars which means if they were dead on nearly zero lessor stars would be drafted. But what I recall is 2-3 stars had more drafted than the 4-5 in the 250+ draft picks. IS THAT NOT TRUE. On the road with limited google access at the moment. Await your clarification.

What I have seen is there are 250 to 300 4-5 stars which means if they were dead on nearly zero lessor stars would be drafted. But what I recall is 2-3 stars had more drafted than the 4-5 in the 250+ draft picks. IS THAT NOT TRUE. On the road with limited google access at the moment. Await your clarification.

40% of draftees are 4 stars are better even though they only make up 3% of recruits.

63% of 5 stars get drafted.
5% of 3 stars get drafted.

I’m glad we are playing South Carolina this weekend rather than TCU. They look hungry and focused.
Yeah I’m not saying they aren’t good. Just saying they don’t have to recruit elite high school talent because their conference doesn’t recruit the same amount of elite high school talent as the SEC.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
3 very capable backs? Maybe 1. The other 2 aren't top level SEC backs. Sorry, but you are simply wrong. Ya'll must be awfully young and don't remember when UT had REAL talent. I couldn't imagine what CJH could've done with that '01 group or the '95 group.
I worked on the strip in the 90s. So kill it with the back in my day routine. And sorry hard to take your evaluation of our RBs seriously when those same backs have ran all over the place against SEC competition. You must be on of those in the legion of the miserables that Majors talked about

VN Store

Back