‘23 FL RB Mark Fletcher (OSU Decommit)

Totally agree on our coaching staff. We have better coaches as it seems so far. However... You know as well as I do that Jimmies and Joes are 95% of the winning equation and UF is loading up and leaving us behind, personnel wise. Honestly... If our staff can't recruit better with the year we're having, I don't have much optimism for the future. The iron hasn't been this hot in literally a decade! We've gotta do better than we are doing now. UT has unreal advantages such as facilities, conference, Spyre, etc... It shouldn't be that hard to recruit elite talent here.

We are recruiting elite talent here. But before this recent flurry, UF had 16 commits from within 2 hours of their campus. Such an inherent advantage. The difference between classes 6-12 are really negligible. Coaching and development makes those into great classes.

Any chance we reach out here??

Seems like on Twitter comments think UF? Idk..

Really hope we do. I'd love...LOVE to add this kid to the class. Speed, wiggle, size, power and great hands out of the backfield.

It's really inexcusable. Assuming they get even $1 in funds specifically earmarked for recruiting, that money is not getting the ROI it should considering how our season is going. I'll go out on a limb and venture that at least one or two staff positions are individuals who are tasked specifically with visiting recruits, pursuing them, etc. - those people are not performing acceptably considering our current standing in the CFP. Having five unranked teams ahead of us, when they're all teams that we have outperformed in recruiting on more than one occasion when we had a terrible staff and were having a losing season, doesn't cut it.

You guys just don’t understand then. Spyre is also used to keep talent for another year. While I don’t know specifics, why do you think Hooker and Tillman came back for another year? Why?

I wonder what this year would have been like if Hooker had turned pro, considering it was a weak QB draft.

Also, recruiting is not in a vacuum. Florida and Miami have talent much closer to campus. People aren’t using their brains.

Reactions: SugarCC
We also need big-time help on the DL. We haven't had a consistent pass rush or anything resembling it all year. If we had had any semblance of a pass rush against UGA, that game would have looked very different.

You're probably thinking of last year.

The difference between 8th and 12th is splitting hairs. I wouldn’t trade our class for Florida’s, in large part because of Nico. getting qb right is half the battle in modern football.
Landing a 5 star in Daevin Hobbs won’t hurt either. Still battling Bama for the Arian Carter. Looking good for Elijah Davis. And Stanton Ramil is trending our way. I won’t even mention what we could possibly do in the transfer portal. Anyone worrying at this point thinking Butch Napier and the boys is passing is by is laughable. We finally got by their jerseys this year. We knocked off Bama. And our coach is a way better developer of talent. And ‘x’s’ and ‘o’s’ it’s not even close. I see smacking Florida around annually as long as Heupel is here. To him and the staff Florida is just another team

Not sure what your angle is, but they currently have the 8th ranked class in the US with a 4 loss record. UT is hanging around 12 with a ONE loss record. They've recently added several highly rated recruits and about to add another elite RB recruit. We have been stagnant for several weeks and seem to have zero momentum. We are getting out worked right now by a lesser coach (IMO) with a 4 loss team. Doesn't make sense. Maybe we'll finish with a flurry, maybe not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
We are not getting out worked lol. OUR CLASS IS Full pretty much. We didnt recruit most of the guys they are getting. Talk about dumbassery. We are happy with who we have. Few spots left why chase and buy every 4 star with a pulse like UF is doing. Italso isnt sustainable. Think first before posting lol

You guys just don’t understand then. Spyre is also used to keep talent for another year. While I don’t know specifics, why do you think Hooker and Tillman came back for another year? Why?

I wonder what this year would have been like if Hooker had turned pro, considering it was a weak QB draft.

Also, recruiting is not in a vacuum. Florida and Miami have talent much closer to campus. People aren’t using their brains.
Maybe some of us have bigger brains than others. Ohio is nowhere near Florida; how then do they have a better class than Miami? Notre Dame is not close to Florida; nor is Oklahoma.

Do you realize that we're near the top of the SEC in QB pressures and hurries?
There aren't many more meaningless stats than those two. Do defensive linemen and linebackers in the NFL get max contracts for pressures and hurries?

Here's an even better question for you: how many times did Stetson Bennett complete a long pass or a touchdown on us when he was "pressured" or "hurried"? There were at least a couple of those, probably more.

Totally agree on our coaching staff. We have better coaches as it seems so far. However... You know as well as I do that Jimmies and Joes are 95% of the winning equation and UF is loading up and leaving us behind, personnel wise. Honestly... If our staff can't recruit better with the year we're having, I don't have much optimism for the future. The iron hasn't been this hot in literally a decade! We've gotta do better than we are doing now. UT has unreal advantages such as facilities, conference, Spyre, etc... It shouldn't be that hard to recruit elite talent here.
Heupel has proven the bolded statement to be false.

If this year hasn't given you "optimism for the future", then I'm afraid your BVS is terminal.

Maybe some of us have bigger brains than others. Ohio is nowhere near Florida; how then do they have a better class than Miami? Notre Dame is not close to Florida; nor is Oklahoma.
OSU, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma are national brands. Simple.

I do think that Oklahoma will not be the same “Oklahoma” once they join the SEC. They have had a national brand and a much easier path to the NC for years as the top dog in the Big12. Now, they are going to have a much more difficult path to the playoffs being in a much tougher conference and being stuck in flat, middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

Reactions: VolGee4

Are you seriously asking about Ohio State and Notre Dame? I will let you figure out why two of the biggest brands in college football are recruiting well.

Reactions: drvenner
There aren't many more meaningless stats than those two. Do defensive linemen and linebackers in the NFL get max contracts for pressures and hurries?

Here's an even better question for you: how many times did Stetson Bennett complete a long pass or a touchdown on us when he was "pressured" or "hurried"? There were at least a couple of those, probably more.

Lol…they do get money for pressuring the QB. Learn some ball.

DB and QB seem to be looking fine. However... DL specifically DT and LB are still very suspect. And totally non-existent at RB. We need bigtime help at RB. We have maybe ONE legit RB on the roster now. The 3 star UK decommit would be nice, but he's not the elite RB that could take this offense to the next level, IMO. Although the kid from VA may be converted to RB when he gets here. He has better looking film running the ball than anyone we have on the roster now.
What are you smoking? We are about to land a 5 star d-lineman and a 4 star JUCO D-lineman. We are on a 4 star linebacker that we are battling Bama for. We have a 230 lb bowling ball coming in at RB. And we need big time help at RB? Do you even watch the games. Currently we have 3 very capable backs that have proven it at the college level. Are you sure you are on the right team board and you’re not a Vandy fan or something?

Reactions: SugarCC

You said that we haven't gotten a consistent pass rush this year. Getting pressure on a QB consistently is an indicator of having a pass rush. Then you choose to use the worst game the team had played all year, against the #1 team in the country to support your criticism.

Reactions: Orange. and SugarCC
You guys can talk about 5*, 4*, top 10
team recruiting classes and NIL's all you want. TCU is still rank no. 4 right now without any of the things you'll are discussing. GBO!

Reactions: SweetasSoda
You guys can talk about 5*, 4*, top 10
team recruiting classes and NIL's all you want. TCU is still rank no. 4 right now without any of the things you'll are discussing. GBO!
They aren’t in the SEC and are in one of the worst conferences. They don’t have to have top tier talent there.

Reactions: VolNash17
They aren’t in the SEC and are in one of the worst conferences. They don’t have to have top tier talent there.
Well…..

The SEC should just play their season and crown the SECC National Champions.

Nobody else is deserving. :rolleyes:

Camp Lejune, lawsuit out about that place, over the water being tainted.
I lost an aunt about 5 years ago due to kidney cancer from living there in the late 60’s. And she had two miscarriages when she lived on base. The year after they left there and moved to Camp Pendleton she delivered a baby with severe cerebral palsy. She cared for him like a baby until he passed away at the age of 25.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
OSU, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma are national brands. Simple.

I do think that Oklahoma will not be the same “Oklahoma” once they join the SEC. They have had a national brand and a much easier path to the NC for years as the top dog in the Big12. Now, they are going to have a much more difficult path to the playoffs being in a much tougher conference and being stuck in flat, middle of nowhere Oklahoma.
So we're not a national brand? Have you been following the Vols for a week? We're ninth all-time in wins in the FBS. We are a national brand. And we're having a drastically better season than two of those three teams. All we have heard for years when we were not cracking the top five in recruiting was that it was because we were down and kids these days only care about the teams that are good right now...Now that we're one of those teams, we're getting beaten out for recruits by teams that are not good. That's 100% unacceptable.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Are you seriously asking about Ohio State and Notre Dame? I will let you figure out why two of the biggest brands in college football are recruiting well.
If you read a little more closely, the post I was replying to postulated that Miami and UF should be ahead of us because they had all of that talent in Florida right in their backyard. So I referenced two teams that are recruiting well that aren't geographically close to Florida. Reading comprehension is your friend.

VN Store

Back