‘23 FL RB Mark Fletcher (OSU Decommit)

The difference between 8th and 12th is splitting hairs. I wouldn’t trade our class for Florida’s, in large part because of Nico. getting qb right is half the battle in modern football.

No matter how many times we lay it our for them "these types" will never get it. The formula used to assign points which allows us to rank classes is NOWHERE NEAR accurate enough to differentiate between the 8th best class or the 12th best class. It can absolutely distinguish the top 2 or 3 classes. After that standard deviation with a very flawed point ranking for each player makes the difference between classes in the Top 15 meaningless. Especially when you have coaches that recruit on a profile that includes "non physical attributes" because the scouting websites definitely do not include that in the formula. To complain and argue about getting "beat in recruiting" because a team is a couple spots ahead is beyond stupid. If the argument is that our class is not as strong as the #1 or #2 class then you at least have a legit argument. Although, with the transfer portal even that becomes less important than it has been in the past.

It's really inexcusable. Assuming they get even $1 in funds specifically earmarked for recruiting, that money is not getting the ROI it should considering how our season is going. I'll go out on a limb and venture that at least one or two staff positions are individuals who are tasked specifically with visiting recruits, pursuing them, etc. - those people are not performing acceptably considering our current standing in the CFP. Having five unranked teams ahead of us, when they're all teams that we have outperformed in recruiting on more than one occasion when we had a terrible staff and were having a losing season, doesn't cut it.

You can't argue this.... Really hope this staff is going to close strong with multiple elite pickups in the portal... otherwise, with where this program is right now nationally, hovering or finishing around 12th isn't cutting it... I love this staff and they've proven they know what they are doing in the two seasons they've been here in terms of player development and on-field coaching, but definitely okay to question why we aren't pulling more interested elite kids based on how this program has risen in 2yrs and is currently on fire...

Reactions: lifeisdeep
No matter how many times we lay it our for them "these types" will never get it. The formula used to assign points which allows us to rank classes is NOWHERE NEAR accurate enough to differentiate between the 8th best class or the 12th best class. It can absolutely distinguish the top 2 or 3 classes. After that standard deviation with a very flawed point ranking for each player makes the difference between classes in the Top 15 meaningless. Especially when you have coaches that recruit on a profile that includes "non physical attributes" because the scouting websites definitely do not include that in the formula. To complain and argue about getting "beat in recruiting" because a team is a couple spots ahead is beyond stupid. If the argument is that our class is not as strong as the #1 or #2 class then you at least have a legit argument. Although, with the transfer portal even that becomes less important than it has been in the past.

Why aren't we in the top 2 or 3? Again... we've recruited at the top before have we not? When are we going to have MORE momentum than we have currently? A Natty maybe? You've totally missed the point.

Not sure what your angle is, but they currently have the 8th ranked class in the US with a 4 loss record. UT is hanging around 12 with a ONE loss record. They've recently added several highly rated recruits and about to add another elite RB recruit. We have been stagnant for several weeks and seem to have zero momentum. We are getting out worked right now by a lesser coach (IMO) with a 4 loss team. Doesn't make sense. Maybe we'll finish with a flurry, maybe not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
So you're basing it off recruiting rankings.

- Not actual analysis of what TN needs vs what FL needs.
- Not going position by position and assessing the prospects film and how they fit into our philosophy.

They are recruiting VERY well, and I still wouldn't trade almost any of our guys for theirs.
Certainly not at QB and DB - which this team desperately needs difference makers at from 2023 and on..

Last edited:

- Not going position by position and assessing the prospects film and how they fit into our philosophy.

They are recruiting VERY well, and still wouldn't trade almost any of our guys for their's.
Certainly not at QB and DB - which this team desperately needs difference makers at from 2023 and on..
DB and QB seem to be looking fine. However... DL specifically DT and LB are still very suspect. And totally non-existent at RB. We need bigtime help at RB. We have maybe ONE legit RB on the roster now. The 3 star UK decommit would be nice, but he's not the elite RB that could take this offense to the next level, IMO. Although the kid from VA may be converted to RB when he gets here. He has better looking film running the ball than anyone we have on the roster now.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
DB and QB seem to be looking fine. However... DL specifically DT and LB are still very suspect. And totally non-existent at RB. We need bigtime help at RB. We have maybe ONE legit RB on the roster now. The 3 star UK decommit would be nice, but he's not the elite RB that could take this offense to the next level, IMO.
What was Blake Corum’s ranking from HS? The kid just locked up a ton of big time offers. There is a reason the talent evaluators have a job with a team instead of for a fan service.

Hell, Ed reed was a 2*.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
What was Blake Corum’s ranking from HS? The kid just locked up a ton of big time offers. There is a reason the talent evaluators have a job with a team instead of for a fan service.

Hell, Ed reed was a 2*.
There are a million cases of "diamonds in the rough" making it bigtime, but there are 2 million cases of 5 stars becoming 1st round NFL draft picks. I'll take my chances with the 5 stars.

They are recruiting VERY well, and still wouldn't trade almost any of our guys for their's.
This☝️.....To add to this, the impact of this season is already showing in '24 and '25 recruiting. This is where you'll see the higher rated classes. Our coaches were still battling the NCAA uncertainty during the bulk of this year of recruiting. If you don't follow recruiting religiously, your gripes about this recruiting class at really invalid. If you do follow, then you'd realize that this class is adding several elite pieces at prime positions. The only real weakness when you look at the current roster vs. need, may be on the OL. That's where the portal can be a huge benefit.

Louder for BOT in the back!

It’s obvious who doesn’t have a clue about recruiting.

DB and QB seem to be looking fine. However... DL specifically DT and LB are still very suspect. And totally non-existent at RB. We need bigtime help at RB. We have maybe ONE legit RB on the roster now. The 3 star UK decommit would be nice, but he's not the elite RB that could take this offense to the next level, IMO. Although the kid from VA may be converted to RB when he gets here. He has better looking film running the ball than anyone we have on the roster now.
We don't lose any scholarship DT's from the current roster. Not one. Have you seen film on our LB commits? Have you checked their stats playing against top competition in GA? Then, for all the hate our RB's get, we still are one of the best rushing offenses in the SEC. I agree that an elite RB could take this offense to another level, but we have 2 extremely talented true freshmen, and saying Khalifa Keith won't be elite in college is extremely premature. The kid at Ole Miss that is tearing it up was a 3* recruit. He's not an exception to the rule either. There are 3 stars at that position that tear it up every single year. We are also one of the top schools for the best RB in the '24 class.

Really like this class, never cared what the guys who've never recruited for a living gave a player as far as rating.My thing is if I believe in the coaches ability to know what a good player that fits their system look like then I'm happy with who we get.It's so nice to have a staff that knows what they want in a player and knows how to get the most out of them.Don't care where we rank in the ratings as long as we are getting players the staff feel good about. Been a damn long time since I felt this way about our coaches and I damn sure am going to enjoy it,GBO.

Clueless

It is amazing how many recruiting experts we have on here. Thus is the same starchild arguments we have seen for way too long. Let the coaching staff recruit. You can no longer claim we can't compete at a high level, because they are doing it right now with the handful of players that they inherited and they were able to scrounge together in year one recruiting. Stop watching stars and watch how we compete.

Really like this class, never cared what the guys who've never recruited for a living gave a player as far as rating.My thing is if I believe in the coaches ability to know what a good player that fits their system look like then I'm happy with who we get.It's so nice to have a staff that knows what they want in a player and knows how to get the most out of them.Don't care where we rank in the ratings as long as we are getting players the staff feel good about. Been a damn long time since I felt this way about our coaches and I damn sure am going to enjoy it,GBO.
Yes

We also need big-time help on the DL. We haven't had a consistent pass rush or anything resembling it all year. If we had had any semblance of a pass rush against UGA, that game would have looked very different.

Reactions: jeff1vol
And in any event, more than half of our class is 4 and 5 stars anyway. That’s good enough if you can develop talent, which I think the evidence is clearly showing this staff can. I don’t know where or how the argument started that there aren’t enough stars in the class.

The pass rush is one of the best strengths of the defense lol. What film are you watching?
Eh.. I see great spurts when the young guys are in there. But a lot of times we have to blitz to get a good pass rush. But we do have some promise with the freshmen.

Reactions: jeff1vol

VN Store

Back