‘23 FL RB Mark Fletcher (OSU Decommit)

We’re doing fine. In a normal year we would be ranked about 7th right now, and our class is about to get a lot better

You say that as if it's not already stellar.
True it's about to get better, but it's already the best class we've had since 2014
And it could indeed be better after it's all said and done

How are we not doing better in recruiting with Spyre?
In most states, Spyre cannot approach a recruit and especially not one under 18. Coaches cannot specifically make promises to recruits about NIL. So every coach is saying "sign with me" and the NIL will take care of itself when the time comes.

A LOT of these recruits are going to be led down a primrose path.

Be careful when reading that a school's NIL supporters offered this or that. A lot of mouths ran when the rumor floated about Nico. But no one outside of a fairly small circle knows exactly what's in his NIL agreement.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Be specific.

How are they doing better than us?

How is their recruiting class better?

Simple. They have a better recruiting staff. I tried to tell everyone that would listen that Billy Buzzcut was an elite recruiter, but I guess nobody paid attention. Just makes our jobs tougher.

Reactions: Jaws
You say that as if it's not already stellar.
True it's about to get better, but it's already the best class we've had since 2014
And it could indeed be better after it's all said and done

It is hard not to get frustrated by some of the assumptions made about recruits due to rankings. The staff apparently believes in several of UT's 3* commits. They offered them and accepted their commitment when a lot of other higher rated players were still uncommitted.

Considering how well they assessed the talent they had, determined how to develop it, and then won as quickly as they have... I feel fairly confident in their opinion that Telander, Slaughter, et al are guys they can win championships with. I know there are recruit ranking devotees here who believe them to be the gold standard... but I like UT's staff right now better than a bunch of sports journalists.

Simple. They have a better recruiting staff. I tried to tell everyone that would listen that Billy Buzzcut was an elite recruiter, but I guess nobody paid attention. Just makes our jobs tougher.

We have the better coaching staff.

Recruiting the state of Florida along with Georgia and LSU is incredibly easy.

If you can’t do that, then you’ve already failed at your job.

Nah you’re right it’s all the fan support online your coach has received and the awesome season you guys are having. Not to mention locker room drama and player getting kicked off the team. What’s not to like by a potential flip candidate? Everyone is throwing money now, it’s not a slam on your program that they are finally swinging the bat and driving it to deep center.
He saw the "F This Program" tweet by a UF player and thought, "Locker room sounds cozy, and I should get early playing time after everyone leaves."

It is hard not to get frustrated by some of the assumptions made about recruits due to rankings. The staff apparently believes in several of UT's 3* commits. They offered them and accepted their commitment when a lot of other higher rated players were still uncommitted.

Considering how well they assessed the talent they had, determined how to develop it, and then won as quickly as they have... I feel fairly confident in their opinion that Telander, Slaughter, et al are guys they can win championships with. I know there are recruit ranking devotees here who believe them to be the gold standard... but I like UT's staff right now better than a bunch of sports journalists.

VN: "Recruiting services get paid to be expert evaluators. Let's trust them."
Our staff: "So do we."
VN: "..."

We have the better coaching staff.

Recruiting the state of Florida along with Georgia and LSU is incredibly easy.

If you can’t do that, then you’ve already failed at your job.

Totally agree on our coaching staff. We have better coaches as it seems so far. However... You know as well as I do that Jimmies and Joes are 95% of the winning equation and UF is loading up and leaving us behind, personnel wise. Honestly... If our staff can't recruit better with the year we're having, I don't have much optimism for the future. The iron hasn't been this hot in literally a decade! We've gotta do better than we are doing now. UT has unreal advantages such as facilities, conference, Spyre, etc... It shouldn't be that hard to recruit elite talent here.

There are also higher rated guys that the staff decided not to pursue.

Two points on that:

1. You don't have to be a good recruiting staff to have highly rated classes at UF or one with bunches of 4/5* commits. I believe I saw the other day that there are 85 4/5* players in Florida this year. UF had commitments from 14 of them. They don't have any of the "top 10" players in Florida. Their highest rated in state player is Mizell at 16. They only have 3 of the top 30. For what little it might be worth, UT doesn't seem to be placing a priority on Florida. This staff is drawing a "tighter circle" around K'ville than previous staffs.

2. The recruiting ability of a staff is much better judged on game day than by recruiting sites. I really like Jordan Williams. I think he will become a very good RB. He was rated the #22 RB in last year's class. However Sampson who was rated the #36 RB has proven to be more college ready and potentially an elite RB talent. UT's staff saw him. They liked him. They recruited him. They signed him. He was not liked by the recruiting sites in spite of ridiculous HS numbers. He did not get an LSU offer.... or A&M, Ole Miss, UK, UGA, Auburn, UF, Bama. In fact none of the nation's "top recruiting" programs offered him inside or outside the SEC.
Yeah. That's an anecdote and you can find cases where other RB's with higher ratings already made an impact. But what it illustrates is that coaches that know talent and trust their own evaluations can and do find great players that are underrated. Clemson did for several years. The recruiting sites pretty much slighted them. Eventually they won enough that the recruiting sites started giving more credit when Clemson liked a player. If UT has success... that will happen for the Vols too. Their actual recruiting won't necessarily improve but their rank will.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Our staff: "So do we."
The funny part is that the recruiting sites do not get paid to be experts. They get paid to sell subscriptions and advertising.

Coaches get paid to be experts at recognizing and developing talent. There are recruiting firms that are hired to help with that process who only get paid if they're accurate. The recruiting sites continue to sell subscriptions and advertising even though they aren't as accurate as most seem to believe.

There are also higher rated guys that the staff decided not to pursue.
Yep. Thanks for the assist.

Coaches develop recruiting profiles. All at least give some lip service to only recruiting players that are solid student-athletes and culture fits. This staff seems to have walked away from some players because they didn't think they were as talented as advertised. Others it looks like they saw other problems.

The attrition and non-contributors from Jones' classes was staggering. Some weren't as talented as their rankings suggested. Some had character and behavior issues. Some were either not coachable or else not a fit with that staff. But with one eye on the "image" achieved by having a highly rated class... Jones signed a lot of duds.

You said some simple words. That was it.

You didn't explain anything. HOW is their class better?

The funny part is that the recruiting sites do not get paid to be experts. They get paid to sell subscriptions and advertising.

Coaches get paid to be experts at recognizing and developing talent. There are recruiting firms that are hired to help with that process who only get paid if they're accurate. The recruiting sites continue to sell subscriptions and advertising even though they aren't as accurate as most seem to believe.

Nope. Sorry. You're wrong buddy!
If a kid gains another star...from 3 to 4!! The heavens open unto him and magical energy permeates the recruit with MORE football ability.

It is the collective energies from NCAA Football video game players from across decades past that which the power source comes from.
And only the lords of On3, 24/7, The old Lord Rivals can bestow these powers to them.

This is known...

Slaughter is going to be a beast.

You said some simple words. That was it.

You didn't explain anything. HOW is their class better?
Not sure what your angle is, but they currently have the 8th ranked class in the US with a 4 loss record. UT is hanging around 12 with a ONE loss record. They've recently added several highly rated recruits and about to add another elite RB recruit. We have been stagnant for several weeks and seem to have zero momentum. We are getting out worked right now by a lesser coach (IMO) with a 4 loss team. Doesn't make sense. Maybe we'll finish with a flurry, maybe not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

We do not have 0 momentum. We just have some, “Woe is me” fans anytime another school gets a recruit.

NIL, transfer portal, no class size limits, lots of factors go into recruiting. We’re in it for multiple 4|5* players. I like our class, they like theirs. We’ll see in a few years who was right.

I’m more worried about who wants to play here than who doesn’t, that’s their loss

Not sure what your angle is, but they currently have the 8th ranked class in the US with a 4 loss record. UT is hanging around 12 with a ONE loss record. They've recently added several highly rated recruits and about to add another elite RB recruit. We have been stagnant for several weeks and seem to have zero momentum. We are getting out worked right now by a lesser coach (IMO) with a 4 loss team. Doesn't make sense. Maybe we'll finish with a flurry, maybe not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
LOL

Lots of things you're overlooking here.

One, we don't know exactly how many more HS commits UT intends to take. IMO, it looks like they are only considering the "best" HS players at whatever position right now after filling the RB position. UT needs to play the portal. The limit is 85 but no one knows for sure except those inside the program how many openings there will be.

Two, I'm not aware of UT being a consideration for or pursuing the recruits that have committed to UF. UT isn't going to recruit everyone that UF recruits. Not every recruit interested in UF will be interested in UT. UF is collecting some good commits according to rankings but that really doesn't have a ton to do with UT's class. If they were both trying to get more commits and UF was getting one after another heads up with UT... then you'd have a concern.

Three, Heupel does not appear to be making Florida a priority in recruiting. Currently the Vols have 6 commits from GA, 5 from TN, 3 from AL, and 1 each from CA/KY/LA/MS/MO/NC/VA. Something to note there is that UT only has two players from states that do not border TN. That may or may not be a great strategy... but there it is.

Reactions: DaddyChad
Be specific.

How are they doing better than us?

How is their recruiting class better?
We're currently twelfth. That was a typical class for us with Dooley, Botch, or Conehead, regardless of whether we were even having a winning season or not. Heupel and his staff clearly have done a far better job than any coach we have had since Fulmer in terms of actual coaching; they have not outperformed even Dooley on the recruiting trail, and considering we're currently ranked fifth in the CFP standings, that's not great, and that's being very kind.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Totally agree on our coaching staff. We have better coaches as it seems so far. However... You know as well as I do that Jimmies and Joes are 95% of the winning equation and UF is loading up and leaving us behind, personnel wise. Honestly... If our staff can't recruit better with the year we're having, I don't have much optimism for the future. The iron hasn't been this hot in literally a decade! We've gotta do better than we are doing now. UT has unreal advantages such as facilities, conference, Spyre, etc... It shouldn't be that hard to recruit elite talent here.
It's really inexcusable. Assuming they get even $1 in funds specifically earmarked for recruiting, that money is not getting the ROI it should considering how our season is going. I'll go out on a limb and venture that at least one or two staff positions are individuals who are tasked specifically with visiting recruits, pursuing them, etc. - those people are not performing acceptably considering our current standing in the CFP. Having five unranked teams ahead of us, when they're all teams that we have outperformed in recruiting on more than one occasion when we had a terrible staff and were having a losing season, doesn't cut it.

The difference between 8th and 12th is splitting hairs. I wouldn’t trade our class for Florida’s, in large part because of Nico. getting qb right is half the battle in modern football.

People dooming about recruiting like we aren’t about to be a white hot destination for transfers this offseason.

with NIL most HS recruiting is done before the season starts now

that is why we haven’t seen a bunch of kids jumping in.

Next year will be when the recruiting momentum kicks in from what we’ve done on the field this year

VN Store

Back