‘23 FL RB Mark Fletcher (OSU Decommit)

Lol…they do get money for pressuring the QB. Learn some ball.
LOL at your level of discourse. Typing an abbreviation that third-graders use does not win one the argument. Nor does stating something that isn't true.

How many times has Sportscenter ever posted a defensive lineman or linebacker's hurries or pressures? They don't. Asinine. They post how many sacks they have.

They aren’t in the SEC and are in one of the worst conferences. They don’t have to have top tier talent there.
And they probably won't be ranked #4 when all is said and done. If they make the playoff they will get run out of the stadium just like Cincinnati did last year.

You said that we haven't gotten a consistent pass rush this year. Getting pressure on a QB consistently is an indicator of having a pass rush. Then you choose to use the worst game the team had played all year, against the #1 team in the country to support your criticism.
And it's still a valid criticism. If we had had an effective pass rush in that game, and if our OL had handled their pass rush even somewhat competently rather than giving up six sacks, the outcome of the game would have been very different.

We don't lose any scholarship DT's from the current roster. Not one. Have you seen film on our LB commits? Have you checked their stats playing against top competition in GA? Then, for all the hate our RB's get, we still are one of the best rushing offenses in the SEC. I agree that an elite RB could take this offense to another level, but we have 2 extremely talented true freshmen, and saying Khalifa Keith won't be elite in college is extremely premature. The kid at Ole Miss that is tearing it up was a 3* recruit. He's not an exception to the rule either. There are 3 stars at that position that tear it up every single year. We are also one of the top schools for the best RB in the '24 class.
Our RB's getting some hate? I thought we got a great RB room.

So we're not a national brand? Have you been following the Vols for a week? We're ninth all-time in wins in the FBS. We are a national brand. And we're having a drastically better season than two of those three teams. All we have heard for years when we were not cracking the top five in recruiting was that it was because we were down and kids these days only care about the teams that are good right now...Now that we're one of those teams, we're getting beaten out for recruits by teams that are not good. That's 100% unacceptable.
Ugh…..compared to OSU, Oklahoma, and ND…..no. UT isn’t a national brand like those programs. UT has had 1…..1 quality season in the last umpteen years. It’s gonna take more than this year for kids to just say, “Yep. It’s UT for me.”

Things look great. Seem to have a great coach. 5* QB on the way. In the middle of a National Championship chase. It’s a fantastic time, but let’s put together a string of consistency before expecting to be a top 5 destination for recruits year in/year out.

BTW……I love the history of UT football. Probably more than anyone on VN, but the “top 10” in career wins doesn’t mean squadouche to an 18 yr old kid from Football Academy, USA.

And it's still a valid criticism. If we had had an effective pass rush in that game, and if our OL had handled their pass rush even somewhat competently rather than giving up six sacks, the outcome of the game would have been very different.
Our OL shut down Bama's and LSU's pass rushers, but once again you act like the UGA game is indicative of our entire season.

Ugh…..compared to OSU, Oklahoma, and ND…..no. UT isn’t a national brand like those programs. UT has had 1…..1 quality season in the last umpteen years. It’s gonna take more than this year for kids to just say, “Yep. It’s UT for me.”

Things look great. Seem to have a great coach. 5* QB on the way. In the middle of a National Championship chase. It’s a fantastic time, but let’s put together a string of consistency before expecting to be a top 5 destination for recruits year in/year out.

BTW……I love the history of UT football. Probably more than anyone on VN, but the “top 10” in career wins doesn’t mean squadouche to an 18 yr old kid from Football Academy, USA.
If top 10 in career wins means nothing to a high school kid, explain to me why said kid would choose Oklahoma now instead of us. Either tradition matters, in which case our tradition is on the same level as those other two schools, or only the present matters, in which case we should be outperforming both of those schools because we're significantly outperforming them on the field. You can't have it both ways.

Our OL shut down Bama's and LSU's pass rushers, but once again you act like the UGA game is indicative of our entire season.
Now you're misquoting me. I never said our OL had been a problem the whole season - I said that about our DL. I only referenced our OL play for that one game.

Also, even discussing our OL bolsters my argument rather than yours because we have five-stars on the OL and none on the DL.

If top 10 in career wins means nothing to a high school kid, explain to me why said kid would choose Oklahoma now instead of us. Either tradition matters, in which case our tradition is on the same level as those other two schools, or only the present matters, in which case we should be outperforming both of those schools because we're significantly outperforming them on the field. You can't have it both ways.
stop!!!!
Trying to compare OU to UT over the last 5-10 yrs? That’s what kids know. Playoffs, All-Americans, and Heisman candidates…..compared to …… What? Nothing.

At this very moment…..I’d take UTs trajectory over OU in a heartbeat. But based on your criteria, UT should have a better recruiting class than Alabama

Totally agree on our coaching staff. We have better coaches as it seems so far. However... You know as well as I do that Jimmies and Joes are 95% of the winning equation and UF is loading up and leaving us behind, personnel wise. Honestly... If our staff can't recruit better with the year we're having, I don't have much optimism for the future. The iron hasn't been this hot in literally a decade! We've gotta do better than we are doing now. UT has unreal advantages such as facilities, conference, Spyre, etc... It shouldn't be that hard to recruit elite talent here.
As has been stated repeatedly, this year's performance will have more effect on 2024 and 2025 kids than this year. Even considering that, 2023 is a great class

Reactions: VOLSONLY
If you read a little more closely, the post I was replying to postulated that Miami and UF should be ahead of us because they had all of that talent in Florida right in their backyard. So I referenced two teams that are recruiting well that aren't geographically close to Florida. Reading comprehension is your friend.

I read just fine. You referenced two teams that aren’t ranked that are ahead of us, and I explained why. Maybe follow your own advice.

Now you're misquoting me. I never said our OL had been a problem the whole season - I said that about our DL. I only referenced our OL play for that one game.

Also, even discussing our OL bolsters my argument rather than yours because we have five-stars on the OL and none on the DL.
We have 1 five star on the OL. No one else was even close to being rated that high. It doesn't bolster your argument. No one else on the starting OL was even a top 250 recruit.

Reactions: Orange.
LOL at your level of discourse. Typing an abbreviation that third-graders use does not win one the argument. Nor does stating something that isn't true.

How many times has Sportscenter ever posted a defensive lineman or linebacker's hurries or pressures? They don't. Asinine. They post how many sacks they have.

You are trying too hard. The NFL literally pays players to pressure the QB, and sometimes they get sacks. Disruption doesn’t always equal a “stat.” I don’t watch Sports Center.

There aren't many more meaningless stats than those two. Do defensive linemen and linebackers in the NFL get max contracts for pressures and hurries?

Here's an even better question for you: how many times did Stetson Bennett complete a long pass or a touchdown on us when he was "pressured" or "hurried"? There were at least a couple of those, probably more.
9-1

And yet the highest paid DL in the NFL has five sacks. The second highest has 1.5.

And yet the highest paid DL in the NFL has five sacks. The second highest has 1.5.
The highest paid DL would not be the highest paid had he not averaged just under fifteen sacks a year for the four seasons prior to this one. You just proved my point.

Well…..

The SEC should just play their season and crown the SECC National Champions.

Nobody else is deserving. :rolleyes:
It’s basically been that way since the BCS and then the playoffs started so why not haha. But really, they don’t have many teams in their conferences pulling in the same level of talent that the teams of the SEC are. We need to because UGA, Bama, LSU, Florida,Texas A&M, and even Auburn pull in high level talent from high school every year.,

We don’t have multiple 5* on the OL. We have 1 Wright.

All this debate because a few "Johnny come lately" types show up in the recruiting forum, while we watch a 2* WR catch touchdowns from a 3* QB against the Titans. 😂 Because stars blah, blah, blah.

Can’t use the NFL argument. That’s invalid.

VN Store

Back