'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

I 'd say the days of Peyton and Brady statues in the pocket are no more. Every one is more athletic these days.
I member when Steve Young opined the same...in the mid-90’s. Mobility is a bonus but the key for a QB is always going to be recognizing coverage, unflappability in pressure situations and being able to make all the throws...accurately.

I member when Steve Young opined the same...in the mid-90’s. Mobility is a bonus but the key for a QB is always going to be recognizing coverage, unflappability in pressure situations and being able to make all the throws...accurately.
And please just move away from the pressure, don't stand there and get your bell rung . If JR gets this and avoids the slow starts he could be a really good QB.

Reactions: AaronUT and butchna
And please just move away from the pressure, don't stand there and get your bell rung . If JR gets this and avoids the slow starts he could be a really good QB.
Agreed. Noted statue Dan Marino negated one of the most fierce pass rushes in NFL history in the 85 Bears. Quick release and pocket awareness. Someone compare his and Peyton’s sack totals up against Mike Vick sometime.

It may not have happened in the 90s when he first said it, but it is slowly but surely getting there. I mean you're not going to play if you can't make the throws - unless youre just a freak like Lamar - but Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Cam, Wentz, Winston, Dak, Mariota, Carr, Smith, Garoppolo, Watson, Mahomes are all plus athletes and can scramble when needed. Tua and Lawerence can both move, Fromm pretty well too. Lock can get outside the pocket. Murray of course. Mayfield. QB position is definitely getting more and more agile with each class.

It may not have happened in the 90s when he first said it, but it is slowly but surely getting there. I mean you're not going to play if you can't make the throws - unless youre just a freak like Lamar - but Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Cam, Wentz, Winston, Dak, Mariota, Carr, Smith, Garoppolo, Watson, Mahomes are all plus athletes and can scramble when needed. Tua and Lawerence can both move, Fromm pretty well too. Lock can get outside the pocket. Murray of course. Mayfield. QB position is definitely getting more and more agile with each class.
Don’t have to run a mile to scramble. Move a little in the pocket...and that doesn’t require a dual threat. Pure pocket QBs will never be extinct.

Don’t have to run a mile to scramble. Move a little in the pocket...and that doesn’t require a dual threat. Pure pocket QBs will never be extinct.
I haven't made the case for a dual threat QB. I'd rather the pure pocket passer. Just saying the position is definitely as athletic top to bottom as its ever been. Specifically in regards to mobility.

I haven't made the case for a dual threat QB. I'd rather the pure pocket passer. Just saying the position is definitely as athletic top to bottom as its ever been. Specifically in regards to mobility.
I don’t disagree with that point. Just the “gone forever” in relation to pure pocket passers. The best of those types will always be a reality.

I don’t disagree with that point. Just the “gone forever” in relation to pure pocket passers. The best of those types will always be a reality.
Manning and Brady really push that statue-esque QB to its extreme though. I think both took pride in appearing super unathletic while breaking records. lol

Reactions: butchna
OLB19_76 is a family member of Bailey I believe.
Firstly, I'm very excited about Harrison Bailey. The kid is peer recruiting like crazy. Not to mention he is a very fine prospect in his own right!
I want to be clear about my thoughts on Maurer. Brian Maurer shouldn't have to play this year.
He should be able to hit the weight room and get bigger, learn the offense in his own time with no pressure.
Unfortunately, we don't have a veteran QB that can put the team on his back. We don't even have a game manager.
So Maurer will have to play because our offense will die mid-season if not.

Why will Maurer have success? Because he is surrounded by veteran skill players that have been itching for a chance to showcase their ability.
Veteran guys who are trying to have success and perhaps move on to the next level.

I believe Brain Maurer will have such a great year, that Harrison Bailey won't end up as a Vol. I remember the work Chaney did with Tyler Bray as a true freshman. Maurer has the same type of arm strength, but can also run. I also think he is just a great person. He beats Bray in every category.

SEC Freshman Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 will be Brian Maurer.
That's a very d4h style take

Think Chaney will be a night and day difference for our offense. Not sure what the difference will be with Tee and the receivers.

Not a negative towards Tee at all, more that David Johnson was considered a really good WR coach himself. I know TM will be huge on recruiting and we really need some top talent WR's.
As far as our current guys, if we see a step up in production, I'm betting scheming (Chaney) and 2nd year S&C may gain us a touch in speed. And then improvement in the OL can play a factor.
It'll be harder to judge just WR coaching techniques than the OC changes.
I think the biggest difference with Tee compared to Johnson will probably be recruiting, FWIW

Reactions: UTSuave’
Maurer looked really solid. Needs to get used to the speed of the game. No telling how good Bailey will be right now, but the QB room is going to have some serious competition next spring and whoever emerges as starter will be a good one. Not counting out Shrout.
Did his 2 interceptions and fumbled snap impress you that much?

Did his 2 interceptions and fumbled snap impress you that much?

Did he ever start first and 1st and 20?..you forget he was also in the red zone lol can someone get the tape of JG’s first ever O&W game so we can compare the stats😭😂😂 it’s ridiculous that everyone is literally beating down a freshman that showed better awareness and mobility than a 3rd year JUNIOR QB IN JG,Jarrett has always lacked both and hasn’t improved any in “3 YEARS”.🤷🏽‍♂️

Did he ever start first and 1st and 20?..you forget he was also in the red zone lol can someone get the tape of JG’s first ever O&W game so we can compare the stats😭😂😂 it’s ridiculous that everyone is literally beating down a freshman that showed better awareness and mobility than a 3rd year JUNIOR QB IN JG,Jarrett has always lacked both and hasn’t improved any in “3 YEARS”.🤷🏽‍♂️
Didn’t JG lead the Orange to 479 points in his first O&W game? Or was that Riley Locklear? Hard to recall with the old format. 🤔

There is no debate except by those without any football knowledge whatsoever
Yes but rather than having a clear winner. It is if so and so f’s up it could be fun. Not saying Brian and JG are battling this year. Was saying more of a RFreshman Brian and true frosh Bailey

Some people care more about stats than what they see with their own eyes. He looks more comfortable in a pocket and not stonewall Jackson for sure

You must be impressed with the 25 interceptions he threw his Jr and Sr years of high school.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Some people care more about stats than what they see with their own eyes. He looks more comfortable in a pocket and not stonewall Jackson for sure

No kidding. Unfortunately percentages do not win ball games.i do agree that he has improved slightly in the pocket as far as awareness but if we can’t make a throw past 10 yards then we will just be on dimensional and they will load the box like every team has for 3 years.the difference with Brian is he has both mobility and awareness with just as good arm strength as “a freshman” over a 3rd year Jr.starting QB.Brian definitely deserves a look in these cupcake games.

You must be impressed with the 25 interceptions he threw his Jr and Sr years of high school.

JT shrout threw more interceptions in high school but now he’s the number two guy here apparently!?.....what’s your point.JG in his senior season of 10 games 7-3 winning record only had 11 td passes on 176 attempts,6 rushing touchdowns and 3 interceptions as a senior.please tell me how those are 4* recruiting stats!??.Brian has been breaking records if you want to factor in highschool stats.if that is your case to plea then he should get a start over JG because brian’s stats are way more impressive and comes from winners mentality background.he was literally the highlight of his team and won games by himself.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back