'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

Went to that Oklahoma game in Norman. There’s never been a WORSE OL in Vols history.

Dobbs never had an OL this bad. His mobility hid some poor play, sure, but our OL last year was atrocious. Arguably the worst in CFB the last 2 years. I think if any analysis of our team last year was correct it was how bad our OL was. Everything points to it being true. Recruiting shows OL is a problem. Pruitt talked about needing better players all last year. Fulmer reiterated that fact during the Spring game interview. Our OL sucks. A mobile QB would help ease the transition process, but that’s it. JG showed better wheels in the spring game. Maybe the injury rumors were true and really hindered his mobility last year.

👀🤷🏽‍♂️😂😂😂

Dobbs era has been the latest silver lining.wasnt completely all bad don’t be so hard on yourself good days are coming.
I enjoyed the Dobbs era. I was also concerned from the beginning about Butch never winning an outright conference championship at Cincy. I never thought he’d last, but definitely did not see him taking us to historical lows.

With Pruitt, I will honestly be surprised if we don’t win a SEC championship with him. I’m 100% on board. I think he has surrounded himself with phenomenal coaches and together they take us back to the top. Just hope Fulmer is still around when it comes time to pay up to keep him around.

It wouldn’t be the offseason without you making crazy predictions like this.

JG has shown enough upside to be a solid game manager, if given help by the OL. Even when the OL is getting him killed he doesn’t turn the ball over often. That’s job #1 for a game manager and Maurer hasn’t shown he can do that. Right now Shrout is a much bigger threat to JG than Maurer.

I’ve agreed with you 2 times in a row is hell freezing over?

Sure he has a lot to learn. But I saw a QB that has a real feel for the game. JG has a lot of talent but his field present just don't seem to be there. Believe JG can hang on if he will learn how to scramble. If Maurer gets some reps in the first 2 give me games it would surely give us more to look at.

Why would Maurer get looks in the first two give me games if Shrout is the #2? Nothing Maurer did in the Spring game was better than Shrout....

Shrout had a touchdown and over 130 yds on 18 attempts with 0 interceptions.... I’m confused with this Brian Maurer love... not that I don’t like the kid but he is not the #2. Shrout was accurate on the run and wasn’t afraid to force the ball into tight windows.

Why would Maurer get looks in the first two give me games if Shrout is the #2? Nothing Maurer did in the Spring game was better than Shrout....

Shrout had a touchdown and over 130 yds on 18 attempts with 0 interceptions.... I’m confused with this Brian Maurer love... not that I don’t like the kid but he is not the #2. Shrout was accurate on the run and wasn’t afraid to force the ball into tight windows.

Give Brian the same game plan/plays that they gave Shrout and then we can hash out the difference.brian would have had a touchdown to if Chaney didn’t change up the whole playbook and stay in shot gun 3 straight plays inside the 15 lol it’s been discussed over and over again why would he do that?.what you seen there is something they will never do in real live situational games.youre not giving Brian enough credit.

compared to all of the other freshmen who have came and gone that participated in the O&W game Brian by far impressed me the most and displayed the tools it takes to win games.he’s the most comfortable natural QB since Dobbs.Watching him play you forgot he was a freshman and that speaks volumes because they usually have that timid/hesitation type of jitters,he had zero and they changed the playbook on him completely from what they were giving the other QB’s on play calling.

Give Brian the same game plan/plays that they gave Shrout and then we can hash out the difference.brian would have had a touchdown to if Chaney didn’t change up the whole playbook and stay in shot gun 3 straight plays inside the 15 lol it’s been discussed over and over again why would he do that?.what you seen there is something they will never do in real live situational games.youre not giving Brian enough credit.

compared to all of the other freshmen who have came and gone that participated in the O&W game Brian by far impressed me the most and displayed the tools it takes to win games.he’s the most comfortable natural QB since Dobbs.Watching him play you forgot he was a freshman and that speaks volumes because they usually have that timid/hesitation type of jitters,he had zero and they changed the playbook on him completely from what they were giving the other QB’s on play calling.

Not giving him enough credit? He threw two terrible interceptions to the same Safety. You are delusional. The kid has potential but he is not the #2 and will easily redshirt without seeing the field this year.

Also, if he runs like he did in a real game he wouldn’t be running much longer. He couldn’t be touched.

Not giving him enough credit? He threw two terrible interceptions to the same Safety. You are delusional. The kid has potential but he is not the #2 and will easily redshirt without seeing the field this year.

Also, if he runs like he did in a real game he wouldn’t be running much longer. He couldn’t be touched.

One of them wasn’t even his fault lol.call me delusional but it speaks volumes we are even having this conversation with a 3rd year jr qb in JG with ZERO IMPROVEMENT and a redshirt freshman in JT Shrout wether Brian is “ready” or not in your opinion.the point is the options we have now are better then they were two years ago and a change or serious discussion needs to be made because JG isn’t it.how many times are we gonna have to start 1st and 15 or 1st and 20 behind the sticks until you admit that.screw the “percentages %” everyone throws out to defend JG none of that matters when we can not score .Percentages % do.not.win.games.Brian will start within a year.make it a sticky.😁🤘🏽🍊

Reactions: LittleVol
One of them wasn’t even his fault lol.call me delusional but it speaks volumes we are even having this conversation with a 3rd year jr qb in JG with ZERO IMPROVEMENT and a redshirt freshman in JT Shrout wether Brian is “ready” or not in your opinion.the point is the options we have now are better then they were two years ago and a change or serious discussion needs to be made because JG isn’t it.how many times are we gonna have to start 1st and 15 or 1st and 20 behind the sticks until you admit that.screw the “percentages %” everyone throws out to defend JG none of that matters when we can not score .Percentages % do.not.win.games.Brian will start within a year.make it a sticky.😁🤘🏽🍊

I’m not a fan of JG but he has improved. His release is still slow and he doesn’t step up in the pocket or roll out. He doesn’t like to throw on the run because he isn’t very accurate while moving.

Shrout is accurate on the run. He has the arm, he steps up and avoids pressure as well as runs when he needs to. Seems like he is the better decision maker at this point between him and Maurer.

Maurer is going to be good but needs more time to develop. The kid has never even taken snaps under center until this year. He can run and he has an arm as well. He needs to work on his accuracy a bit. Still needs to be able to see the field better. That just comes with experience. He threw two interceptions against the 2s (however he is an early enrollee true freshman so it happens)

As for one of those interceptions thrown by Maurer not being his fault, they were both his fault. One he tried to force a ball on the run and didn’t see the safety. The other he under threw his receiver, who yes could of done a better job at fighting for the ball but McCullough undercut him and high pointed the ball and was able to do that because of how the ball was thrown.

You can also book that Brian will not start within a year. It won’t happen.

I’m not a fan of JG but he has improved. His release is still slow and he doesn’t step up in the pocket or roll out. He doesn’t like to throw on the run because he isn’t very accurate while moving.

Shrout is accurate on the run. He has the arm, he steps up and avoids pressure as well as runs when he needs to. Seems like he is the better decision maker at this point between him and Maurer.

Maurer is going to be good but needs more time to develop. The kid has never even taken snaps under center until this year. He can run and he has an arm as well. He needs to work on his accuracy a bit. Still needs to be able to see the field better. That just comes with experience. He threw two interceptions against the 2s (however he is an early enrollee true freshman so it happens)

As for one of those interceptions thrown by Maurer not being his fault, they were both his fault. One he tried to force a ball on the run and didn’t see the safety. The other he under threw his receiver, who yes could of done a better job at fighting for the ball but McCullough undercut him and high pointed the ball and was able to do that because of how the ball was thrown.

You can also book that Brian will not start within a year. It won’t happen.
It was a hell of play by Tank - kind of looked like EB14 if I dare say - but yeah it was underthrown to the inside of the field. Only reason the int was possible.

It was a hell of play by Tank - kind of looked like EB14 if I dare say - but yeah it was underthrown to the inside of the field. Only reason the int was possible.

Agreed he will be special at safety. I like how Pruitt was downplaying him.... they knew he was good and expected him to play this year at some point.

Agreed he will be special at safety. I like how Pruitt was downplaying him.... they knew he was good and expected him to play this year at some point.
Tank had some interview after committing that really won me over. Not that I wasn’t sold on his talent, but after watching that interview he seemed to have a super high football IQ to go along with it. He’s going to be special. Him, AT2, and Bryce Thompson. BOY! Our secondary is going to be nasty in the years to come!

Im sorry but this is an incredible stretch & frankly laughable. Theres 0% chance Maurer is 2019's Freshman OPOY and the idea that Bailey tucking his tail between his legs & bailing on UT because Maurer is the prodigal return of Manning is not going to happen. Bailey has spent every minute since November to peer recruit for us & he is going to come in next year, take the starting job easy and itll be a fight for 2nd.
It’s pretty simple.. Bailey will be for us what Tua is for Bama, or what Fromm is for UGA. Maurer is probably a great player but he’s just gonna get caught up in a bad situation. (Which sucks for him because I really think the kid loves TN)

I think he’ll be the backup in 2019 and 2020, then enter the portal and probably head home to UCF, spend a year or 2 there, and go to the league as a 4th-5th round pick. Whereas Bailey will take over as a freshman and be the 2nd best QB in school history, then go 1st round after 3 years. After that, Tees kid takes over and the cycle continues.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
S&P+ says our OLs were fairly decent '15 & '16. The last 2 have been HORRIFFIC. Bottom of the league in rushing yards per carry says it all.

Reactions: Smokeytom
When Bailey gets here, if not before, Shrout or Mauer will hit the xfer portal. JG isn't leaving, so which one will it be?

JG.Brian will win the job next year or get a serious look this year if JG doesn’t improve .Bailey will redshirt and the possibility of JT transferring also is still out there to discuss, because of who we may offer in the 21’class.JT won’t sit around on the depth chart with a incoming “promising” freshman ,on top of the possibility of getting beat out by a current freshman.

Last edited:
When Bailey gets here, if not before, Shrout or Mauer will hit the xfer portal. JG isn't leaving, so which one will it be?

Nobody? Bailey will RS, then JG will graduate and we'll be back to 3.

IF we recruit another solid QB, then one may transfer. But otherwise no need to leave with 3 QBs.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Most likely our big QB showdown and Transfer happens Spring 2021.

Only way that works out any differently is if JG gets injured (which isn’t unlikely behind our OL) and Shrout or Maurer take the job and run with it. Not sure either of those guys have it in them to do that yet, but I do like the upside of all 3 more than JG.

JG.Brian will win the job next year or get a serious look this year if JG doesn’t improve .Bailey will redshirt and the possibility of JT transferring also is still out there to discuss, because of who we may offer in the 21’class.JT won’t sit around on the depth chart with a incoming “promising” freshman ,on top of the possibility of getting beat out by a current freshman.
No way Brian wins the job next year and I'm doubtful he'll win it any year with Bailey coming in, don't see how you've gotten starting QB from 2 INT's and 0 TD's, I will admit he feels pressure better than JG but stop acting like this kid is a day 1 starter because frankly, he's not

Reactions: OLB19_76
Went to that Oklahoma game in Norman. There’s never been a WORSE OL in Vols history.
yeah, that one was bad....

it's being rivaled by the one we've fielded the past year or so though lol.

which is something i think that's getting lost in all this QB talk. there were several throws made by the qb's Saturday that would have never left the qb's hands.....save the non contact.

not sure why we always do this in QB discussions....draw lines, box ourselves in, and plant our flag on who is the best one. typical for fans though....

anyway....i think our QB situation is actually very good, especially for the next 3 years. i iwould think, barring any unforseen early departures, the plan probalby looks a little like this:
2019--JG, JT, RSBM
2020--JG, JT, BM, RS HB
2021--full on competition, and someone probably transfers..especially if JT graduates early.

this is not a prediction. HB is very good. i wouldn't be surprised if he comes in next year and pushes the depth chart day 1. there's just going to be experience ahead of him, and that might be tough to overcome....not impossible. if he does start as a true freshman, then you probably look at a transfer 2020.

to say the situation is fluid, is an understatement, especially when one isn't on campus for another year, and the other two are FR/RS FR....lol.

yeah, that one was bad....

it's being rivaled by the one we've fielded the past year or so though lol.

which is something i think that's getting lost in all this QB talk. there were several throws made by the qb's Saturday that would have never left the qb's hands.....save the non contact.

not sure why we always do this in QB discussions....draw lines, box ourselves in, and plant our flag on who is the best one. typical for fans though....

anyway....i think our QB situation is actually very good, especially for the next 3 years. i iwould think, barring any unforseen early departures, the plan probalby looks a little like this:
2019--JG, JT, RSBM
2020--JG, JT, BM, RS HB
2021--full on competition, and someone probably transfers..especially if JT graduates early.

this is not a prediction. HB is very good. i wouldn't be surprised if he comes in next year and pushes the depth chart day 1. there's just going to be experience ahead of him, and that might be tough to overcome....not impossible. if he does start as a true freshman, then you probably look at a transfer 2020.

to say the situation is fluid, is an understatement, especially when one isn't on campus for another year, and the other two are FR/RS FR....lol.
That line didn’t have anyone approximating the level of Trey Smith...not even the reduced version of last season. I guess when you’re comparing turds, everyone’s going to have their favorite.

Reactions: jakez4ut
That line didn’t have anyone approximating the level of Trey Smith...not even the reduced version of last season. I guess when you’re comparing turds, everyone’s going to have their favorite.
lol. don't get me sucked in to a "who sucks more" debate.............

Reactions: butchna

I like Maurer..I've been a big supporter..I think he has really great potential and moxie, but he is raw and he is four months out of HS ball. Shrout has a 1 year head start and is doing well in polishing up his game..he was also raw with great potential. After all the hell we've been through with busts of monumental proportions...I ain't anointing Bailey as the savior. He is coming in much more polished, and that gives him a chance, but unless he is one if those rare transcendent talents that just automatically fulfill expectations...then he will be behind two guys with head starts who are really talented in their own right.

It’s pretty simple.. Bailey will be for us what Tua is for Bama, or what Fromm is for UGA. Maurer is probably a great player but he’s just gonna get caught up in a bad situation. (Which sucks for him because I really think the kid loves TN)

I think he’ll be the backup in 2019 and 2020, then enter the portal and probably head home to UCF, spend a year or 2 there, and go to the league as a 4th-5th round pick. Whereas Bailey will take over as a freshman and be the 2nd best QB in school history, then go 1st round after 3 years. After that, Tees kid takes over and the cycle continues.
😳 Have none of you and guys like you learned anything from the bustapalooza of the last decade. I don't believe anything other than kids have talent and we will see if they pan out. Experience has taught me this. I am excited to see Bailey in orange and white with a big power T on his helmet...but...I will temper that excitement with well learned skepticism. I thought JG showed the ability in HS to be transcendent, but he is at best just a solid QB.

VN Store

Back