First Tennessee football game you attended

For me, it was the 1990 Florida game. I was 16 and playing HS football. Had not experienced anything like Neyland. When Pickens got to mid-field it sounded like a jet!

Back then that game was played later in the year. It had been over a decade since we had been to Gatlinburg so we stayed up there. Awesome game and great experience!

This is a pic of me and my sister.. You can tell the style of the 80’s/90’s. Lol

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I think we do this thread once a year.

1971 Penn State game. I was a 14 year old son of a Penn State baseball letterman. We were so excited to go see Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris and John Hufnagel cap off another unbeaten season. Ha!

1982 @ Georgia Tech. Lost the game but I saw Fuad Reveiz hit from 60 at the end of the half. When you’re 9 years old, 60 yards looks like 7 miles.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Not to derail the awesome thread. But, did anyone here personally witness the 1973 torrential downpour game w AU where Battle had us punt it away on 1st down pi$$ing off AU coaches? I listened to that on a transistor radio with my dad in Cases Cove w my late father in a popup camper!
Would pay a lotta lotta money to go back to that day one more time!
Yeah, I was there and as an Alabama native, I despise either of those teams from there. I remember a hot day of sunshine in the first half followed by the torrents of rain that made play almost impossible. Battle had Steve Chancey quick kicking on first down twice with David Langer of AU panicking to get to them. Great times; my last season on The Hill.

Fun thread. Looking forward to reading all of the earlier comments.
Mine was 9/28/95 against #1 Auburn and Bo Jackson. Transferred to UT a couple of months earlier and was a Junior. A buddy tried to convince me to tryout for the team due to a few line injuries. Coach Majors took one look at me and sneered. Smart man that Majors.
The game was unbelievable. We brought Bo down and I was sure Neyland was going down at the same time.

Iowa State in September of 1982. Tennessee won 23-21. This was during the World's Fair. I was 9 years old. I remember going to the fair during the day with my family, and then the game at night with my dad. I remember that you could see the top of the Ferris wheel from inside the stadium. That was a great time in Knoxville's history... I just wish we had a better team that year. Outside of the big win over Alabama, '82 was a disappointing season.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
September 26, 1987 Neyland Stadium vs. #3 Auburn. Not a cloud in the sky. When I walked from the concourse to the stands and saw those 100,000+ fans and all that color… That was the moment my blood turned from red to orange. I remember it like it was yesterday. Came back in the fourth quarter from being down 20-10 to tie the game. Not sure how I feel about Johnny playing for the time but it kind of felt like a win for us and a loss for Auburn.

Iowa State in September of 1982. Tennessee won 23-21. This was during the World's Fair. I was 9 years old. I remember going to the fair during the day with my family, and then the game at night with my dad. I remember that you could see the top of the Ferris wheel from inside the stadium. That was a great time in Knoxville's history... I just wish we had a better team that year. Outside of the big win over Alabama, '82 was a disappointing season.
. Did we make a bowl in ‘82 ?

Mine was the 1986 season opener against New Mexico. Tennessee won 35-21
1964 Tennessee and Alabama in Knoxville. Vols lost 19-8, Doug Dickey’s first year; Hal Wantland and Art Galiffa at QB; Steve Delong, Whit Canale, and future stars Bob Johnson, Frank Emanuel, Paul Naumoff. A preview of great teams to come!

1968; The Vols beat Ole Miss 30 something to 0. I sat about 5 rows up in the old north end zone. we were so close we could hear them talking between plays. Thrill of a lifetime for a 16 year old boy. Been back many times over the years, but that one sticks out even above some of the great games I attended in the 90's.

VN Store

Back