Final poll?

I think we stay at 6.

Really? Definitely possible, but the AP seems to vote with more of a recency bias than the CFP poll. I could see us jumping all the way up to #3 if Michigan and OSU get blown out. But if you forced me to guess, I think it’s likely we wind up 4th or 5th.

If TCU continues to blow out Michigan (they lead 21-6 at halftime), and UGa blows out Ohio State--which I do expect to happen--the two B10 teams will fall hard together.

Remember, OSU and Michigan are each other's best quality win / quality loss. They propped each other up as proof that their seasons weren't all cupcake games and lording it over the down-trodden of their top-heavy conference. If they both fall badly today, that undercuts every notion that propped them up in the second half of the season.

So I could definitely see Bama and Tennessee leapfrogging the entire Big 10. UGa-TCU will almost certainly be 1 & 2, whoever wins the title. Then Bama and the Vols at 3 & 4. Michigan likely at #5 in that scenario.

Anyone know when the final rankings/AP poll comes out after the playoffs shake out? Where do we end up, top 3?
I'm guessing were #3 Ga. 1 TCU #2

5. Maybe 6 if the CFP games have the two undefeated teams get upset. If OSU gets absolutely humiliated and run out of the stadium, maybe 4.

The problem is the AP and Coaches don't tend to drop any of the 4 playoff teams out of the top 4 unless like the #4 team just gets absolutely annihilated. Even when that happens, there's a fairly minimized drop: in 2020 with #4 seed Notre Dame only fell 1 to #5 after losing 31-14 to Alabama; in 2019 #4 Oklahoma fell 3 spots to #7, but it took get blown out and humiliated 63-28 to create that much push (and they only fell 2 spots to #6 in the Coaches Poll).

A 3-seed has fallen out of the top 4 2 times but it took another humiliating blowout: in 2018 Notre Dame's 30-3 loss to Clemson was enough of a humiliation to push them 2 spots down to #5; in 2016 Ohio State's 30-3 blown out against Clemson pushed the Buckeyes down to #6.

And with the gaps the polls currently have between UT and Alabama, looking at the points, the polls are likely not going to punish Alabama after blowing out a top 10 team either.

Reactions: Raebo
In no logical world should Bama be ranked above UT

Both 11-2
UT beat Bama
UT curb stomped a higher ranked Clemson with our backup QB and rope 2 wideouts missing, and leader of our defense. Clemson is higher ranked than K State
UT crushed LSU in Baton Rouge
Bama lost to LSU
Neither team played in SEC zchampionship game

I think we are at #5 when it is done. TCU will be above us with this performance. If OSU loses they will move behind us and Bama.

Michigan is down by 6 to TCU late. If they lose by that margin that gives them one loss to a team in the NC game by a smaller margin than our loss to the other team in the NC game. And then there’s that ugly 25 point loss that we have to a potentially unranked team…I think Michigan remains ranked higher than us.

Bama lost to us by 1 point and to LSU by 3. Both games were road games decided on the last play of the game. I would use head to head if everything else were equal but it’s not. We lost two road games by a total of 39 points and again, one was to a potentially unranked team. We both beat a conference champion in our bowl game but I think Bama stays above us in the final ranking.

TCU has looked very impressive tonight. They lost in a great championship game by 3 points - their only loss. If they win and move to the NC game I think they stay ranked ahead of us regardless of that games outcome.

Win or lose tonight Georgia stays ranked above us.

OSU got blown out at home in the second half against Michigan. If Georgia dominates them tonight they might drop below both Bama and us.

Reactions: Raebo
4 or 5, according to how they rank Michigan, if Ohio State loses we jump them but probably wont anybody else

6th is wonderful, but 5th would be phenomenal, 4th would be surreal

Only pisser is Saban, who we beat, probably gets ranked ahead of us. For his NIL, I wouldn't buy AFLAC if it was free. Well, maybe, if they did a commercial with him on his knees begging again.

Looks like:

Georgia
TCU
Michigan
Alabama
Ohio State
Tennessee - Hope the Vols can move ahead of OSU in one poll. Some terrific games today for sure.

Providing UGA and Michigan take care of business today, they finish 1 & 2. 3 and 4 is where the bama/Ohio state bias kicks in and that only leaves TCU that we could possibly jump, so it's either 5 or 6 for us.

I believe we'll start next season at 5.
yo bro... how'd you come up with your screen name?

VN Store

Back