Feelings about this Game? Anyone worried?

I can't get a feel for this game. thought I'd check with VN for Vibes. How do yall REALLY Feel?

Not just saying this b/c I'm a rabid Vol fan, but I think we win by 3 touchdowns. I know this game means a lot to both teams and they are both preparing like it's the national championship game, but we have superior talent and equal or better coaching.

I can't get a feel for this game. thought I'd check with VN for Vibes. How do yall REALLY Feel?

Can't get a feel, eh? Keep your dayum hands to yourself, boy. We don't cotton to your kind 'round here.

Seriously, for three quarters it will be a close contest, with us possibly lagging slightly behind. Then QT4 BOOM!!!
We'll have an earthquake
We'll be going insane.
A California-style earthquake
Will rattle and scramble our brains.

We're having an earthquake.
And Vols fans will think it's fun.
But it's really a Volquake
The Hoosiers will have nowhere to run.
Cause it will be a Volquake, a Volquake!
The stands will tremble and shake.
If we're not careful the whole place will break.
Cause it's a Volquake, a Volquake!

Then we break out into a spirited rendition of Rockytop.
Making that game, the NC game notwithstanding, the highlight of the bowl season.

The buildup to play always makes me nervous. With JJ out first half, someone will have to take on the role of Alpha Dog until he can play and the offense can’t stand around assuming someone else will be that guy. Can’t start flat or “meh we’re good”

This years game for IU football at home vs #13 Michigan was being build up as the "biggest game in IU football history" around these parts. (I'm 35 minutes from the IU campus) They had 35,000 unsold tickets and about 75% of the crowd was Michigan fans. They will always be a basketball school.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Worried. Almost always worried. Wasn’t worried for one early season game that must go unnamed. Should have been worried for that one too.

We will win the football game if we can run the football and win the turn over game, they can throw the ball but if we can run we will win, but it will be close like 28-24, it will be close unless one team turns the ball over alot. GO VOLS BEAT LITTLE red

UT should win. UT has better players. IMHO, UT has much better coaches. Football is still a game played with an odd-shaped ball... it bounces funny.

As others have mentioned, a lot of this game comes down to whether JG has truly turned a corner or if the old JG reemerged in the Vandy game. His performance if nothing else will dictate the discussions and mood of this board from now til August.

Reactions: joevol33
1-4 vs teams that throw for 250 yards. IU avgs 308. That worries me
IU was 0-4 vs teams that were bowl eligible.

Their most impressive passing performance was vs Penn State, 371 yards on 75% completions. They threw a ton of screens. FWIW, Memphis lit PSU up for 479 passing yards.

I could be wrong... I just think UT is a much better team.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
From what I have read about them, IU passes the ball very well so look for a large assortments of blitz packages from Pruitt. Once we take away what they do best it will be over. I am worried with Minn beating AU that B10 teams other than OSU may actually be pretty good this year.

The keys to this game will be how well we defend their passing attack and control the ball offensively. If we get pressure and play solid defense against their pass catchers we will be in a good spot to win this game by a score or two. If we allow them to move the ball and don't do so ourselves it will be a nail biter. Turnovers, as always, will dictate how these teams do. Wisconsin had no business losing to Oregon but 4 turnovers kept them from dominating the game.

We should be more athletic than IU but our overall team speed won't be as evident as in some other SEC vs. Big10 matchups. That being said it will be a factor if we play good technique and don't blow coverages in the secondary. As long as Bituli and To'oto'o are on the field we should keep their run game in check (Their RB is questionable). Our WRs will create physical mismatches for their DBs so we can score if JG is on. Running game could be biggest wildcard if Gray goes off again.

My best guess if all goes to plan: TN: 31 - 24

Not worried but expect a tougher game than many have shown. I realize IU isn't a top tier Big 10 football team but the Big 10 has shown up pretty well this year.
Did you see Wisconsin get hosed by the officials in the rose bowl. They got terrible spots all night, plus the offensive P I was a terrible call IMO. The sorry officiating is not limited to the SEC.

I am worried, but I think we see these things happen, direct improvements from the extra practices;

1. The front 4 will get pressure without blitz packages (we will still run them, icing on the cake)

2. We will run the ball, around 175 total rushing yards.

3. A 4th reciever (other than JJ, Call, Palm) will make MORE than one big play.

4. JG will have his best game, make good decisions, specifically, run for at least 4 first downs!

I am worried, but I think we see these things happen, direct improvements from the extra practices;

1. The front 4 will get pressure without blitz packages (we will still run them, icing on the cake)

2. We will run the ball, around 175 total rushing yards.

3. A 4th reciever (other than JJ, Call, Palm) will make MORE than one big play.

4. JG will have his best game, make good decisions, specifically, run for at least 4 first downs!
I’ve got a feeling them being a pass happy team matches up well with our corners! I think we roll!!! 😎

Reactions: MaTaLa
The key to winning is avoid costly penalties; we seem to figure out ways to kill drives; look at the Mizzou game. If we can sustain drives and get TD's, not FG's we win.

I told some yesterday. I know we're not "back" yet and still have a lot of work to do. But I feel comfortable in us taking care of business with games we should win, and we "should" win this game. It might not be pretty all 60 minutes, but I have faith we get it done. That's a good step forward in getting back.

I feel good.
Think so too but I see 41-14 and we have a lot of fun. It’s the big 12 after all

I'm not nervous because I feel good about where Tennessee is mentally and physically. If anything makes me nervous it's the unpredictability of Gurantano and the fact he lost his top WR for the 1st half.

Indiana appears to be a good team that has put up some points offensively. They struggled with the top of the league but I would still believe they have a lot of confidence. Those fact that Tennessee struggles to score sometimes makes me nervous and given our QB doesn't have a killer instinct but I think we're good enough to win by 7-10 points.

I think we will know how the game will go after the first 2 possessions for both teams. That should tell us the mindset of the players (and the coaches) on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately I’m not confident enough to outright say we win. I guess I’m gun shy after the last 5 or 6 years of watching TN football to get my hopes up too high only to have them come crashing down.

UT should win. UT has better players. IMHO, UT has much better coaches. Football is still a game played with an odd-shaped ball... it bounces funny.

As others have mentioned, a lot of this game comes down to whether JG has truly turned a corner or if the old JG reemerged in the Vandy game. His performance if nothing else will dictate the discussions and mood of this board from now til August.
I’m still not sold on him

Reactions: Frozevol
We tend to start off slow and without JJ in the 1st half we could start slower.

You can bet that they know all about JJ and they'll try to double him in the 2nd half to try to keep him from going totally off.

They'll also try to stuff our run and force JG to beat us with his arm which should be to their advantage.

O linemen are a strange breed and they love to road grade people over and watch their RB's run wild.

Our O line is much improved and those guys have some things to prove so watch out in the 2nd half.

The 1st half will be pure hell for JJ but he'll yell, cheer and be another coach on the sidelines and our other WR's and TE's will get fired up by him and they'll play better in the 1st half than most expect.

It's Bowl season so we know that Pruitt and staff will have some nice tricks hiding in their pockets and when it's least expected the tricks will show up and they will make a difference.

I think it's going to be a tough, hard fought game but I believe in this footVol Team and they way they fought hard to come back from a horrid start of the season.

They are NOT going to let this game get away from them!

There will be a new Winners trophy on the hill in a few days!

VFL...GBO!!

Did you see Wisconsin get hosed by the officials in the rose bowl. They got terrible spots all night, plus the offensive P I was a terrible call IMO. The sorry officiating is not limited to the SEC.
No the SEC has actually shown up well...the Big Ten is its typical self, getting beat by quicker teams with better coaches...it will continue tonight

VN Store

Back