Fallout 76

I wasn't much interested in the base building in F4. I'm more of a "kill, loot, explore, repeat" type of player.

Last edited:
I wasn't much interested in the base building in F4. I'm more of a "kill, loot, explore, repeat" type of player.

Same. I know some loved that aspect, but the building and maintaining, as well as dealing with NPC residents grated on me. Same reason State of Decay 2 didn't hook me (never played the original).

Same. I know some loved that aspect, but the building and maintaining, as well as dealing with NPC residents grated on me. Same reason State of Decay 2 didn't hook me (never played the original).

I just hated having to always save the settlements from an attack. Never failed to get those quests whenever I was in a position to not be able to go help.

I just hated having to always save the settlements from an attack. Never failed to get those quests whenever I was in a position to not be able to go help.

"Another settlement needs your help" I still hear Preston Garvey say this in my nightmares

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly, 2 things prevented me from loving Fallout 4 like I loved 3 and New Vegas.

1. Dumbing down the roleplaying mechanics obviously.
2. Base building. Too many areas were just generic empty places for you to build for yourself. I don’t want that in Fallout. I want to explore interesting places in the wasteland. I feel like the base building areas limited the amount of cool places to explore in 4.

So if Fallout 76 is all about base building, I can’t beliece I’m saying it about a Fallout game, but pass.

Last edited:
Wanted to pass along I saw Amazon has Fallout 76 available for pre-order and they had the release date listed as July 31st but have since removed it. Todd Howard has talked about wanting to reduce the time between announcement and release date as much as humanly possible so it could be available much sooner than anyone thought

Honestly, 2 things prevented me from loving Fallout 4 like I loved 3 and New Vegas.

1. Dumbing down the roleplayinh mechanics obviously.
2. Base building. Too many eras were just generic empty places for you to build for yourself. I don’t want that in Fallout. I want to explore interesting places in the wasteland. I feel like the base building areas limited the amount of cool places to explore in 4.

So if Fallout 76 is all about base building, I can’t beliece I’m saying it about a Fallout game, but pass.

I hated that you could level up high enough to be proficient at everything. It’s the same reason I didn’t like Skyrim near as much as Oblivion or Morrowind. I like having to pick a role, not be a god. And the base building wasn’t done very well. New Vegas is the best of the modern Fallouts imo. 3 was great too and and had the best DLC.

Agree with above post 100%. That's one hope I do have for this game is that they take away the perk tree system from F04 and bring back the skill points from NV and F3. Felt like skill points allowed you to create a unique character and actually made the game challenging. Never will understand why they got away from that

Last edited:
I like the base building, but there was just way too much of it. it would have been cool to have a couple, like 3 tops, "homes". and the rest were settlements that you could help.

I don't mind the endless leveling because by the time you get to jack of all trades level you would still be as good in the other games that had caps. No reason for the game to force a cap on you. If you want to be purely a sneaking melee sole survivor, you can do that. the game doesn't make you be something you don't want to be. Not sure why you want to depend on the game to force you into something you want, when you can do it yourself. thats the beauty of the game. you can do pretty much whatever you wanted.

I like the base building, but there was just way too much of it. it would have been cool to have a couple, like 3 tops, "homes". and the rest were settlements that you could help.

I don't mind the endless leveling because by the time you get to jack of all trades level you would still be as good in the other games that had caps. No reason for the game to force a cap on you. If you want to be purely a sneaking melee sole survivor, you can do that. the game doesn't make you be something you don't want to be. Not sure why you want to depend on the game to force you into something you want, when you can do it yourself. thats the beauty of the game. you can do pretty much whatever you wanted.

Just a preference on my part I love skill points so much more than perk trees. Take New Vegas for example, the skill point cut off was level 25 (if you bought no DLC), I would always hit level 25 before I got semi close to beating the game so therefor if I didn't strategically use my skill points I may not be able to Speech myself out of a fight or pick a certain lock or other things like that depending on what I put my points into. Also, Fallout 4 got away from skill checks and I couldn't stand that. There were like 2 or 3 the entire game if I remember correctly. Made me feel like my perk tree choices were hollow. I just love that kind of stuff. That's my opinion though, to each their own

Just a preference on my part I love skill points so much more than perk trees. Take New Vegas for example, the skill point cut off was level 25 (if you bought no DLC), I would always hit level 25 before I got semi close to beating the game so therefor if I didn't strategically use my skill points I may not be able to Speech myself out of a fight or pick a certain lock or other things like that depending on what I put my points into. Also, Fallout 4 got away from skill checks and I couldn't stand that. There were like 2 or 3 the entire game if I remember correctly. Made me feel like my perk tree choices were hollow. I just love that kind of stuff. That's my opinion though, to each their own

It killed replay value for me too. There were different ways of going about New Vegas, and 3 to an extent. Once I’d beaten 4, I was done, but I immediately started up a speech focused character after I beat New Vegas, just to see if I could talk Lanius into leaving instead of killing him. It’s like playing Minecraft in creative mode vs. survival. Sure, I can set rules for myself in creative, but it just isn’t the same. To each their own though.

not sure what you mean about the skill checks. It seemed like every multi part quest had at least 1 or 2. usually repairing stuff, instead of going to find a piece of equipment.

and as far as being smart with skill points, I still don't see the difference in an artificial cap and a player induced one.

your level 25 point is still valid for an open perk tree. Even when capped at 25 you were at a level where nothing was a challenge if you spent your points correctly. Fallout 3 and vegas were easy mode after that. whats the difference in 25 vs 75, the game play was scaled for either.

idk, not trying to tell you how to play games, I just can't see it as a negative.

not sure what you mean about the skill checks. It seemed like every multi part quest had at least 1 or 2. usually repairing stuff, instead of going to find a piece of equipment.

and as far as being smart with skill points, I still don't see the difference in an artificial cap and a player induced one.

your level 25 point is still valid for an open perk tree. Even when capped at 25 you were at a level where nothing was a challenge if you spent your points correctly. Fallout 3 and vegas were easy mode after that. whats the difference in 25 vs 75, the game play was scaled for either.

idk, not trying to tell you how to play games, I just can't see it as a negative.

Skill checks would mainly appear as unique dialogue options based on skill points, remember early in NV when the powder gangers are about to attack goodspring and you're recruiting the town people to fight with you? Your Explosives had to be 35 for the guy to give you dynamite, barter had to be high enought to get another guy to supply extra weapons, etc. I did a little research and turns out there were only 4 instances of that throughout the entire game of Fallout 4. But yeah its just a preference

Last edited:
Skill checks would mainly appear as unique dialogue options based on skill points, remember early in NV when the powder gangers are about to attack goodspring and you're recruiting the town people to fight with you? Your Explosives had to be 35 for the guy to give you dynamite, barter had to be high enought to get another guy to supply extra weapons, etc. I did a little research and turns out there were only 4 instances of that throughout the entire game of Fallout 4. But yeah its just a preference

the ones I am thinking about if 4 weren't necessarily dialogue based, and applied to other elements.

but even still you could try and influence people for more money, or money before. You can convince some of the NPCs to give you stuff or continue down dialogue trees for xp only if you had a high enough trait. repair is again where I instantly went, repairing the flying boat, and the pumps in Far Harbor, several others I am sure. to save Danse you can talk your way out, not sure if it is actually based on a score or if its always an option though. you can convince the mechanicist to stick around too.

Maybe its just the skill points vs experience with said trait from 3. but you could still get everything to 100, you just no longer leveled.

Fallout 4 just was a fun open world game, but a bad role playing game.

Alright back to Fallout 76, let's say we take the leaks and rumors at face value and say this game is in fact a Co-op (not MMO) Fallout game that features basebuilding as it's main focus, but is also story driven as the rumors suggest. Your excitement for a Fallout game like this is __ out of 10?

Alright back to Fallout 76, let's say we take the leaks and rumors at face value and say this game is in fact a Co-op (not MMO) Fallout game that features basebuilding as it's main focus, but is also story driven as the rumors suggest. Your excitement for a Fallout game like this is __ out of 10?

If I’m being honest, I’ll play it because it’s Fallout, and co-op is fine with me. In fact, I prefer co-op more than single player games these days. Base building and open world can be fun, and I really hope they focus on the role playing elements, but I know they likely won’t. It’ll be a day 1 purchase if the reviews come in positive, something I rarely do anymore. The next Souls/Bloodborne game by From Software is my only 10, but this is a 7 or 8.

I'm at a 5 right now. Some days a 6. I am waiting to hear more info about it.

So after Microsoft's conference we know Fallout 76 is a prequel set in West Virginia, and it's map is 4 times larger than Fallout 4. Still nothing about what kind of game it is, but I'm assuming they'll reveal that tonight at Bethesda's conference

So after Microsoft's conference we know Fallout 76 is a prequel set in West Virginia, and it's map is 4 times larger than Fallout 4. Still nothing about what kind of game it is, but I'm assuming they'll reveal that tonight at Bethesda's conference

Yup. It kinda looked like just a traditional formula. But can’t tell 100% yet. We will find out in a few minutes

VN Store

Back