Facts about NIL at UT?

LV renaissance

There is much speculation here and elsewhere about NIL and how well various colleges do as well as specific teams (LV basketball for example) are doing. It is often said in this forum that Lady Vols don't do well relative to other WBB teams, at least the upper tier. I wish there was a centralized place for known facts about NIL. Even on sports radio programs and in interviews with various officials, no one seems to say anything specific about NIL. So, I was surprised to hear on the sports animal yesterday (Tyler and Will) that UT had the 3rd highest NIL collective than any other school. That seemed to fly against how often fans here including other UT sports often assume that we are not competitive. Here are some remaining factors that could impact the LV NIL amount. It would great if anyone had any factual information to answer any of these questions.
1. Do the LV teams get a specific percent of the main collective, and if so what is it? I know at LSU it is about 30%.
2, Does the fact that that the LVs have their own collective result in a decrease in the overall percentage that they get from the general collective? I would hope not, but if it doesn't LV should have an advantage because most programs who don't have a women's sports only collective. LSU just added one this year.
3. How is it amount the LV basketball program gets from both the women's and general collectives determined compared to the other women and men sports? As a contributor to the women's collective, it is weird how this info isn't transparent.

There is much speculation here and elsewhere about NIL and how well various colleges do as well as specific teams (LV basketball for example) are doing. It is often said in this forum that Lady Vols don't do well relative to other WBB teams, at least the upper tier. I wish there was a centralized place for known facts about NIL. Even on sports radio programs and in interviews with various officials, no one seems to say anything specific about NIL. So, I was surprised to hear on the sports animal yesterday (Tyler and Will) that UT had the 3rd highest NIL collective than any other school. That seemed to fly against how often fans here including other UT sports often assume that we are not competitive. Here are some remaining factors that could impact the LV NIL amount. It would great if anyone had any factual information to answer any of these questions.
1. Do the LV teams get a specific percent of the main collective, and if so what is it? I know at LSU it is about 30%.
2, Does the fact that that the LVs have their own collective result in a decrease in the overall percentage that they get from the general collective? I would hope not, but if it doesn't LV should have an advantage because most programs who don't have a women's sports only collective. LSU just added one this year.
3. How is it amount the LV basketball program gets from both the women's and general collectives determined compared to the other women and men sports? As a contributor to the women's collective, it is weird how this info isn't transparent.
The Lady Vols get nothing from the Vol Club and that’s the problem. Boost Her Club is spread out between 40+ female athletes and Terri is not bringing in big corporate sponsors to compete with the LSU’s. TK and Rickea do pretty well, but as far as being able to throw a bag at a top recruit, they simply don’t have it and Terri’s not doing a great job of pulling in a sponsor that can make it happen, hence getting out bid for the top recruits

The Lady Vols get nothing from the Vol Club and that’s the problem. Boost Her Club is spread out between 40+ female athletes and Terri is not bringing in big corporate sponsors to compete with the LSU’s. TK and Rickea do pretty well, but as far as being able to throw a bag at a top recruit, they simply don’t have it and Terri’s not doing a great job of pulling in a sponsor that can make it happen, hence getting out bid for the top recruits
Sounds like Terri needs to be replaced. Nowadays money will overtake rich tradition like the Lady Vols basketball. Theses young players coming in today don't know about CPS and the teams that she had. They see dollar signs and if places like SC and LSU are offering more money that's where they are going. Sad that it has come to this but that's the world we live in today. Kellie for the most part is trying to recruit on tradition while other schools are saying play for us we can offer you a big NIL deal.

Facts are verifiable.

Facts have sources.

Those sources have histories suggesting that they are, or are not, credible.

“Everybody knows…” usually indicates an absence of facts.

Have you ever seen a verifiable fact about what other schools offer as NIL or nil-like signing payments?

When someone, however loyal and well-meaning, says we are being outbid for top recruits,
unless they provide verifiable facts to support the assertion, we have just as much reason to
think that the statement is true as we have to consider it untrue.

Would probably get more donations if fans and supporters actually knew where we stood. I mean Lady Vols basketball has over 100,000 followers and if they all gave 25 dollars that is 2.5 million which would relate to 50,000 a player which is a decent amount. Of that 100,000 there are certainly people that could give more and sure there are some that would give less, but overall if your collecting 2.5 million we should at least be in the running. The way SC makes so much of their NIL public really helps them. Other schools do as well. I wish we would be more active in telling how the collective is doing and I believe if fans saw it wasn't going well the help would rise.

As has been cited before, we know every South Carolina player is added to an existing NIL deal that gives each participant 25,000 dollars in exchange for their rights. That is factual. We know this because South Carolina has, through channels, made that publicly known. Repeatedly. There are articles written about it. Almost as if they want people to know it's a thing.

What's that, you say? You've never heard of a similar deal for Tennessee's players?

ahaa.gif

And just to be clear, I do not in any way hold that against anyone. I don't blame the BHC, I don't blame the sponsors, I don't blame anyone who is or has been a supporter of the program. No one should be under an obligation or burden to be Mr. Moneybags for this stuff.

I'm only pointing out that we do, in fact, know some facts.

Last edited:
As has been cited before, we know every South Carolina player is added to an existing NIL deal that gives each participant 25,000 dollars in exchance for their rights. That is factual. We know this because South Carolina has, through channels, made that publicly known. Repeatedly. There are articles written about it. Almost as if they want people to know it's a thing.

What's that, you say? You've never heard of a similar deal for Tennessee's players?

View attachment 601108

And just to be clear, I do not in any way hold that against anyone. I don't blame the BHC, I don't blame the sponsors, I don't blame anyone who is or has been a supporter of the program. No one should be under an obligation or burden to be Mr. Moneybags for this stuff.

I'm only pointing out that we do, in fact, know some facts.
To taste the soup you need the spoon.

Real ones will get that

Would probably get more donations if fans and supporters actually knew where we stood. I mean Lady Vols basketball has over 100,000 followers and if they all gave 25 dollars that is 2.5 million which would relate to 50,000 a player which is a decent amount. Of that 100,000 there are certainly people that could give more and sure there are some that would give less, but overall if your collecting 2.5 million we should at least be in the running. The way SC makes so much of their NIL public really helps them. Other schools do as well. I wish we would be more active in telling how the collective is doing and I believe if fans saw it wasn't going well the help would rise.
In Feb 2023, The Volunteer Club announced they had a little over 2,300 members. Getting 100,000 LV fans to donate isn’t likely.

In Feb 2023, The Volunteer Club announced they had a little over 2,300 members. Getting 100,000 LV fans to donate isn’t likely.
I'm sure your right but if you have 100,000 following the team you should get more than 2300 members. Something isn't right about getting information out to all those followers.

Reactions: Knoxvol14
kids today are going to go where money is. if you want to have a great team and compete with elite program you will have to pay.
Totally right if the plan you have now is not working then you have to make another. Or be satisfied where you are.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I have direct knowledge of several top recruits that were coming to Tennessee but received substantially higher NIL offers that pulled them to various schools.

Probably not good enough evidence for you and the other NIL naysayers, but Kellie and her staff have not been able to compete in recruiting with the other top programs because of this.

Facts are verifiable.

Facts have sources.

Those sources have histories suggesting that they are, or are not, credible.

“Everybody knows…” usually indicates an absence of facts.

Have you ever seen a verifiable fact about what other schools offer as NIL or nil-like signing payments?

When someone, however loyal and well-meaning, says we are being outbid for top recruits,
unless they provide verifiable facts to support the assertion, we have just as much reason to
think that the statement is true as we have to consider it untrue.

Usually they are quoted signing bonuses with promises for $xxx each season.

When you say that, do you refer to an upfront payment for signing or are you talking NIL valuation estimates that they could potentially earn over the course of their careers?

Reactions: Raebo
Sounds like Terri needs to be replaced. Nowadays money will overtake rich tradition like the Lady Vols basketball. Theses young players coming in today don't know about CPS and the teams that she had. They see dollar signs and if places like SC and LSU are offering more money that's where they are going. Sad that it has come to this but that's the world we live in today. Kellie for the most part is trying to recruit on tradition while other schools are saying play for us we can offer you a big NIL deal.
Without the efforts of Terri Holder, we probably wouldn’t have a resurrected LV BHC. She has done a noble job of heading up the LV BHC and now all women’s sports are included in this collective. I believe the collective currently has approximately 8 corporate sponsors.

The problem that most NIL's, and the LVBHC, have in getting significant corporate donations/sponsorships is they're not non-profits and donations are not tax deductible. There are a few that are but the IRS and Congress are coming after their tax deductibility.

Without the efforts of Terri Holder, we probably wouldn’t have a resurrected LV BHC. She has done a noble job of heading up the LV BHC and now all women’s sports are included in this collective. I believe the collective currently has approximately 8 corporate sponsors.

Sears was the greatest retailer in the world. Until it wasn't. They relied on tradition, rather than meeting the challenges of the market and got passed by. They never recovered and every Sears store is gone (maybe a couple left).

This will happen to all of the traditional powerhouses in every sport if they don't get with the times. And they won't have years to figure it out. The good news is that it seems throwing a ton of money at it will quickly help solve the problem. The bad news is finding a ton of money to throw at the problem isn't easy.

Also without Terri Holder we would not have Rickea Jackson on our roster this year. For that alone she deserves a statue LOL.

Sears was the greatest retailer in the world. Until it wasn't. They relied on tradition, rather than meeting the challenges of the market and got passed by. They never recovered and every Sears store is gone (maybe a couple left).

This will happen to all of the traditional powerhouses in every sport if they don't get with the times. And they won't have years to figure it out. The good news is that it seems throwing a ton of money at it will quickly help solve the problem. The bad news is finding a ton of money to throw at the problem isn't easy.
This is what was strange to me about Sears:

Sears built its business on its catalogue mail order business. You could order just about anything from its catalogue ( including a house) and have it shipped to you in the new state, backwaters of Montana along the nations newly created rail system.

Then, they grew into a series of brick and mortar location and let their catalogue business die. Their history with mail order should have prepared them for the new sales world of on-line shopping but they failed miserably. They hung on to brick and mortar until they collapsed.

I remember when Craftsman was a tool you could own for life. You could take an old broken tool to a Sears store and they would hand you a new one. No need to look up a warrant. Ah, the old days!

Get off my lawn!

I will repeat AGAIN, if you truly want the Lady Vols to be able to get the recruits they need to be successful, instead of complaining, criticizing or blathering about it on social media and fan boards, give generously and often to the Lady Vol Boost-her Club!

Also without Terri Holder we would not have Rickea Jackson on our roster this year. For that alone she deserves a statue LOL.

VN Store

Back