Facts about NIL at UT?

SMH-She's telling you how to figure out who's playing the mega-NIL game. Everything she's said matches up with what I've been told.

You're caught up in trying to get Kellie fired and won't acknowledge what's going in NIL that's hurt our recruiting. It doesn't matter who's coach if the NIL isn't competitive in the 5/4 star recruiting game...and we're not now. Heresay, or not, the money is what the kids are following...the name on the jersey or the coach doesn't mean that much anymore.
Um no, Kellie is doing that all by herself. Of course everything matches up…speculation is anything you want to be believe.

What’s not speculation…Tennessee under Kellie wasn’t landing kids prior to NIL.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and lfvol
Um no, Kellie is doing that all by herself. Of course everything matches up…speculation is anything you want to be believe.

What’s not speculation…Tennessee under Kellie wasn’t landing kids prior to NIL.
She had just started building relationships, then the COVID restrictions hit recruiting...then NIL. In the meantime, they've pieced together a pretty good team from the portal.

BTW, my information in not 'speculative.' 😉

She had just started building relationships, then the COVID restrictions hit recruiting...then NIL. In the meantime, they've pieced together a pretty good team from the portal.

Her recruiting clock started well before she arrived in Knoxville. She’s not a new coach regardless of how many times her first 15 years are overlooked by some here. Emoji or not, it’s speculation if you’re not saying who and what’s provided.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and tbwhhs

Just once I want to see someone back up their claims of hundreds of thousands of dollars plus penthouses etc, just once. Until then we get all these posts by people who say they are in the know but sworn to secrecy or some such nonsense. Nobody is saying nil doesn’t exist. Some of us are rightfully questioning the claims of extravagant sums of money and living arrangements.

Note I said questioning, not denying, because as far as I know, the stuff posted on the internet by fans is just stuff until we see something concrete, but I admit I have no knowledge either way. Forgive me for needing a little more than a “trust me”.

Also, just some thoughts here Earl. First, reference covid and the start of NIL, every team in the nation had the same exact conditions to deal with. Second, reference the first 1-2 years when you say relationships were just being built. I agree of course, but how is that unique for any new coach, let alone one that had been in the job as a HC for 15 plus years already? OK, new school and new level, so I can/will give some slack there. But it's easy to see many new coaches during that period of time that recruited well, and not just ones at traditional powers.

But to imply that NIL has been a detriment to a P5 coach seems puzzling, as every coach in the nation had to deal with it under the exact same timeframe and circumstances. I don't get into the talk going back and forth on any coach at any school. But I have a watch on the NIL discussions because they pertain to all schools, and when I see people on the internet and other social media avenues say/post that their P5 staff has been negatively impacted/handcuffed by NIL, like most I wonder what the cause of that could be. Were some staffs more proactive than others? But I certainly don't blindly accept all of the "trust me" type posts that claim many hundreds of thousands are being spent on players (non-top 25 players no less) with luxury living accommodations thrown in as well. Could that be the case in some exceptional cases? Sure. Across the board in the game of WBB? I don't think so, not yet, not at the huge numbers implied. That is more than many extremely good CFB players are getting. Last point here on NIL, if there are funds in a program to succeed at getting plus/elite players from the portal, it would seem reasonable to think the funds are/were there to do likewise in recruiting, no? I may be missing something, but I would bet a proven All Star/All Conf/AA type would cost way more than a HS recruit.

One day the NIL numbers will surface to the level of fans, and we will see exactly what is transpiring, but until such time, I am not putting any weight into internet fan postings. Are you ready to say that UT ranks very low on NIL money spent the first few years of its existence in relation to other top 25 type programs? I will wait for real information. If fans had that real info, it would have slipped out by now IMO, and what sends up my Spidey senses every time is when people post stuff which implies they have inside knowledge but just cannot share it. That type of posting has been going on in recruiting and all facets of sports for ages, and to my knowledge, it usually never pans out.

Last edited:
I understand somewhat your doubts, but the nature of the beast is confidentiality. Have you tried to get financial information from a private company? You won't get it, because they don't have to disclose it. It's in the collectives' best interests to keep the pay information confidential.

I know things that have happened with UT recruits, but I will never breach the trust of how I obtained that information. USCe was in a good position when COVID hit, then NIL, Tennessee was not. Trying to rebuild the program during those major changes has been tough, but Kellie and her staff has done a good job piecing a roster together through the portal.

They also have some good HS recruits in the pipeline for the next few years, but as far as NIL money is concerned, they are behind and it has cost them some big targets.

Also, just some thoughts here Earl. First, reference covid and the start of NIL, every team in the nation had the same exact conditions to deal with. Second, reference the first 1-2 years when you say relationships were just being built. I agree of course, but how is that unique for any new coach, let alone one that had been in the job as a HC for 15 plus years already? OK, new school and new level, so I can/will give some slack there. But it's easy to see many new coaches during that period of time that recruited well, and not just ones at traditional powers.

But to imply that NIL has been a detriment to a P5 coach seems puzzling, as every coach in the nation had to deal with it under the exact same timeframe and circumstances. I don't get into the talk going back and forth on any coach at any school. But I have a watch on the NIL discussions because they pertain to all schools, and when I see people on the internet and other social media avenues say/post that their P5 staff has been negatively impacted/handcuffed by NIL, like most I wonder what the cause of that could be. Were some staffs more proactive than others? But I certainly don't blindly accept all of the "trust me" type posts that claim many hundreds of thousands are being spent on players (non-top 25 players no less) with luxury living accommodations thrown in as well. Could that be the case in some exceptional cases? Sure. Across the board in the game of WBB? I don't think so, not yet, not at the huge numbers implied. That is more than many extremely good CFB players are getting. Last point here on NIL, if there are funds in a program to succeed at getting plus/elite players from the portal, it would seem reasonable to think the funds are/were there to do likewise in recruiting, no? I may be missing something, but I would bet a proven All Star/All Conf/AA type would cost way more than a HS recruit.

One day the NIL numbers will surface to the level of fans, and we will see exactly what is transpiring, but until such time, I am not putting any weight into internet fan postings. Are you ready to say that UT ranks very low on NIL money spent the first few years of its existence in relation to other top 25 type programs? I will wait for real information. If fans had that real info, it would have slipped out by now IMO, and what sends up my Spidey senses every time is when people post stuff which implies they have inside knowledge but just cannot share it. That type of posting has been going on in recruiting and all facets of sports for ages, and to my knowledge, it usually never pans out.

Last edited:

NIL is just the latest excuse. And if we are badly behind or simply don’t like it, building support for it and properly administering it are still largely on the staff. The AD, while definitely less overt than some in support, has allowed the Vol Club and the coaching staff to do pretty well in football recruiting though there remains room to improve.

Reactions: Majors
Sounds like Terri needs to be replaced. Nowadays money will overtake rich tradition like the Lady Vols basketball. Theses young players coming in today don't know about CPS and the teams that she had. They see dollar signs and if places like SC and LSU are offering more money that's where they are going. Sad that it has come to this but that's the world we live in today. Kellie for the most part is trying to recruit on tradition while other schools are saying play for us we can offer you a big NIL deal.
Money nor tradition will help UT WBB unless and until they replace the coach.

Unlike other schools UT Coaches don't seem to want to break the bank on transfers and overpay.

Hard to get corporate sponsors when your team is poorly coached and not very good. Also the Head Coach should be out helping to bring in corporate sponsorships. Don't you think Pat wouldn't have been out beating the bush for them.

It's not NIL, some of the coaches aren't doing their part.

I understand somewhat your doubts, but the nature of the beast is confidentiality. Have you tried to get financial information from a private company? You won't get it, because they don't have to disclose it. It's in the collectives' best interests to keep the pay information confidential.

I know things that have happened with UT recruits, but I will never breach the trust of how I obtained that information. USCe was in a good position when COVID hit, then NIL, Tennessee was not. Trying to rebuild the program during those major changes has been tough, but Kellie and her staff has done a good job piecing a roster together through the portal.

They also have some good HS recruits in the pipeline for the next few years, but as far as NIL money is concerned, they are behind and it has cost them some big targets.
BS, this coach is pathetic and needs FIRED now

Lots of misinformation in both your posts...the AD and the coaches can have very little to do with the collectives by rule. They can encourage fans to support them, but that's about all they can do.

It appears NIL shortfalls don't fit your agenda...

NIL is just the latest excuse. And if we are badly behind or simply don’t like it, building support for it and properly administering it are still largely on the staff. The AD, while definitely less overt than some in support, has allowed the Vol Club and the coaching staff to do pretty well in football recruiting though there remains room to improve.

Money nor tradition will help UT WBB unless and until they replace the coach.

Unlike other schools UT Coaches don't seem to want to break the bank on transfers and overpay.

Hard to get corporate sponsors when your team is poorly coached and not very good. Also the Head Coach should be out helping to bring in corporate sponsorships. Don't you think Pat wouldn't have been out beating the bush for them.

It's not NIL, some of the coaches aren't doing their part.

Except posters posting about players living in penthouses and making six figures. Somehow you claim it’s like a private company but somehow multiple people have made speculations. So it’s not that hard to find. Like it’s been said before, NIL is the new excuse. You’ve just put a side a Covid year in there to somehow validate Kellies struggles. Somehow we got RJ (twice) landed multiple portal players as well as Key.

Lots of misinformation in both your posts...the AD and the coaches can have very little to do with the collectives by rule. They can encourage fans to support them, but that's about all they can do.

The most important aspect is for the coach is “encouraging fans (which means donors) to support them” as you said. Instilling optimism is part of that. Some on this board continue to complain we don’t have the NIL dollars of others. So exactly what is the misinformation?

Last edited:
Reactions: tbwhhs
BS, this coach is pathetic and needs FIRED now
Gosh who would we hire at the pay rate UT would pay a coach? I am of the opinion if Staley approached UT wanting to coach here we could not put together a package and NIL strategy to make it happen. I do believe if some dude with a large old school radio and tv personality who talked a lot of trash wanted the job many who do not like KJH would call it a home run hire. I would doubt any of them contributed to the UTLVBB program or even attended games. JMO

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Gosh who would we hire at the pay rate UT would pay a coach? I am of the opinion if Staley approached UT wanting to coach here we could not put together a package and NIL strategy to make it happen. I do believe if some dude with a large old school radio and tv personality who talked a lot of trash wanted the job many who do not like KJH would call it a home run hire. I would doubt any of them contributed to the UTLVBB program or even attended games. JMO
They could IF they wanted. A lot of you don't understand how NIL works at UT. Coaches are involved

Try again
There are no NIL rules just guidelines and individual states can override them. See Missouri, California etc

They could IF they wanted. A lot of you don't understand how NIL works at UT. Coaches are involved

Current NCAA rules prohibit anyone in an athletic department from representing athletes in marketing deals, directly or indirectly, but schools are allowed to provide their athletes with education and some tools for connecting with boosters and business who might want to sign them to an NIL deal.

Current NCAA rules prohibit anyone in an athletic department from representing athletes in marketing deals, directly or indirectly, but schools are allowed to provide their athletes with education and some tools for connecting with boosters and business who might want to sign them to an NIL deal.
Involved with the nil group not repping the athletes. Jesus Christ some of you people

The rule is place…wink wink. Always ways around it. Just look at Squirrel White this past week and who set up his Predators night. Also, nice photo of RJ receiving her car with Ann Furrow and Kellie in the picture at the dealership. I don’t think Harper was there to co-sign

I can tell you Kellie had nothing to do with that transaction. She's allowed to be in the picture, though.

The rule is place…wink wink. Always ways around it. Just look at Squirrel White this past week and who set up his Predators night. Also, nice photo of RJ receiving her car with Ann Furrow and Kellie in the picture at the dealership. I don’t think Harper was there to co-sign

VN Store

Back